Reach HAZOPs helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

Hello all,

Last night I took a break from my group ODST project and decided to start modeling the HAZOP helmet from Halo Reach.

I started by using this as my initial referece:

HAZOPbeta_scaled.png

I'm also using various views of this McFarland Toys figure of the HAZOPs Spartan. I saved pics of the red, green, blue, yellow, and metal ones in various views so I can determine certain details from the way the colors affect the mold. Admittedly, though, using a figure is not the best way to get reference, but it's only serving as secondary reference to the first picture I posted.

I'm using Rhino3D to model this helmet. No particular reason why I'm using this program other than the fact that I know it thoroughly and it's the only 3D program I have at the moment. It exports to OBJ so I can import it into Pepakura (this is how I did my ODST peps).

3D-01.jpg

3D-02.jpg

And here is where I am at as of this post. I have the dome, ears, and front half complete (other than some clean up work around the neck opening, which I'll get to when the back is modeled). This is after about 8 hours of work.

3D-05.jpg

I probably have another couple hours of modeling left to do on it, but it's really not a priority right now as I still have some more ODST costumes to finish up before Dragon*Con.

And I do plan on pepping this thing. I currently don't own the license for Pepakura, so I can't save files yet. I do plan on getting the license sometime, though. However, I can offer to email someone the finished OBJ if they want to try unfolding it themselves. This is going to be a medium-to-high definition model, so I'd prefer to send it to someone with experience unfolding as a smoothed model. But that's just me.

hmmm for the longest time ive thought the HAZOP was just the name of Carter's helmet but thanks to this I can finally see the difference haha

good job so far! its looking great

Nice job so far! This was a neat helmet to find in the Beta.

I took screenshots from nearly every angle in the Beta if you need additional reference, let me know...

Fantastic work! My only advice is that while your model is extremely accurate according to the reference, I'd personally try removing some of the edges on the dome as it will help with the transition from model to paper. Otherwise, that is an amazing model and keep up the good work.

Cheers!

Nice job so far! This was a neat helmet to find in the Beta.

I took screenshots from nearly every angle in the Beta if you need additional reference, let me know...

That'd be awesome if you could send me some screenshots of it. I'd greatly appreciate it, especially since the back of it is giving me some trouble. Would you mind emailing me some? davre.gamob@gmail.com

Regarding the number of polygons on the dome, I've done it this way to allow for a very smooth dome pep. I'm thinking ahead of myself for when I give my hand at pepping it, and I plan on doing it in strips. The ODST helmet I built was done that way in long strips from front to back across the dome, and it didn't need much smoothing at all.

An update: I've cleaned up the face a bit, switching directions of certain polygons for a smoother surface, and adding certain details.

3D-06.jpg

Email sent, I put in all 8 screenshots I took myself. I may have some more scattered throughout my HD that I downloaded from Bnet, I'll do some digging.

The shots you sent will do nicely. That pic I posted at the beginning was the best reference I had at the time, and the shots you sent will definitely help out with the back. Appreciate it!

aww! of course an awesome looking model is coming out right after i finished my jorge pep... when you release this, i'll be retiring jorge early!

So I was comparing the references Ruze sent me with the ones I had, and I came to the conclusion that it'd be better if I restarted the model from scratch. The original "side" view I had turned out to actually be slightly twisted, resulting in the ears being way too far back, and it threw the entire model off. I spent about an hour trying to readjust things, but I decided it'd just be way easier to start from scratch. My work is on my home computer, though, and I'm posting on my laptop, so I don't have any update images yet. Really, there isn't anything to show other than the newly laid out references as my view backdrops and a few outlines here and there.

I'll work more on it this afternoon after work and I'll have some more progress images this weekend some time.

Looks like it's going to be a very nice model!! Let me know if you still want someone to take a go at unfolding it for you....be more than willing to help. Looked pretty good before, excited to see what it's going to look like with additional references.

-Matt

Would it be too much to say that I worship you as a god?
I was going to request the file, but then I did a quick search and found this!
I could try to unfold it, if I can't I'm going to ask a buddy of mine really nicely....
Thanks alot!

These are all the helmets that were in the Beta, they were available for viewing through a strange death glitch... I took complete ortho screenshots of each of the textured helmets.

Could you send me the reference pictures for the Unnamed Helmet #1?
It looks super awesome and I'd like to request it on the request thread.
If you can, then thank you very much, I'll be very grateful!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back