My Air Conditioner has Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizophrenicMC

First day of August, yesterday, and my air conditioner up and quit. Now, I live in Dallas, Texas (or a suburb, a few towns over), and it's hotter'n hell out here. And it's only gonna get hotter, what with it being August and all.

At the time of typing, it's 93 degrees in here.

Why bring this up on the 405th? Well, partly because I can, and partly because it's speeding up my glue's curing time way too much, making pepakura that much more troublesome.

On the upside, I guess I'll acclimate to the temperature in the garage?

You're not the only one for about a week now my AC unit has been acting up last night it was 90 degrees in my room. It blows air but does'nt cool the room.

Dang dude that sucks. I remember once when I used to live in Texas the Ac unit ,for the house, was broken for an entire day, it was 100 Degrees F around noon and went down to about 80 degrees at night, that day sucked!

Dude that sucks. I had Mine break about 4 weeks ago. But instead of it not blowing cool air, It flooded my house. i had to throw away all of my pep ODST parts and a lot of other stuff. But on the bright side We have new floors now...

that sucks, my AC doesn't work either but i live in San Diego so right now here is only about 73 degrese so that sucks for you (not trying to be mean)

Dude that sucks. I had Mine break about 4 weeks ago. But instead of it not blowing cool air, It flooded my house. i had to throw away all of my pep ODST parts and a lot of other stuff. But on the bright side We have new floors now...
Ooh... Indoor condenser?

Lol how funny, because a few days ago my upstairs air conditioner died. Turned out to be a bad dual capacitor. We got it fixed the next day but we all had to camp out for the night in the still air conditioned 1st floor. Good thing the 2nd unit didnt die at the same time as the first, its so freaking hot in Georgia. I got a tan just from hardening my armor outside.

that sucks...i own a heating and cooling business here in kansas....temps around here have been about 105..so i am staying busy...keep my house at a constant 72 degrees...i am freezing

Yep. The stupid thing flooded my room, my sister's room and the hall.
Yeah, we have an outdoor condenser, and it refuses to start up. We've reset the breakers that go to it, messed with the thermostat, and sprayed it down. Nothin'. But, at least it can't explode and flood.

Peanut, I'd rather sit in 72 degree area than 95 degree room.

Here in Vancouver, most places have no AC units whatsoever. We don't have enough really hot days to need them.

my poor old unit won't cool my place any better than about 80 degrees this time of year. It blows good cool air, but it just doesn't blow out very hard at all.

110 heat index here in Birmingham today, and I worked outside int he sun all damn day, ughh.

Here in Vancouver, most places have no AC units whatsoever. We don't have enough really hot days to need them.
Yup. You people think 90 degrees is burnin' hot.
my poor old unit won't cool my place any better than about 80 degrees this time of year. It blows good cool air, but it just doesn't blow out very hard at all.

110 heat index here in Birmingham today, and I worked outside int he sun all damn day, ughh.
Ooh, -blam!-. Sucks.

We got our unit running again. Turns out the main capacitor blew. Top was bulged way out. Unfortunately, it doesn't cool the house below 85... Probably too little freon in the lines.

alot of times cooling issues are attributed to low refrigerant. Also maintaining your unit and changing filters. if you guys arent sure if your system is operating properly check the temperature drop across your evaporator coil. you should have around a 20 degree split from your return to supply. So if you indoor return air is 80 degrees, your supply should be at 60. If you are not close to those design temps then you are definately experiencing issues with your system. Capacitors are also another common problem with units. Most units have PSC (permanent split capacitor) motors, which means they require a cap to start. When those capacitors blow your system will not start.

your lucky to even have an AC man i dont have one and its always 90 degrees at night and during the day its hotter though the outside is cooler but opening a window doesnt even help at all... lol srry about yur AC bro

alot of times cooling issues are attributed to low refrigerant. Also maintaining your unit and changing filters. if you guys arent sure if your system is operating properly check the temperature drop across your evaporator coil. you should have around a 20 degree split from your return to supply. So if you indoor return air is 80 degrees, your supply should be at 60. If you are not close to those design temps then you are definately experiencing issues with your system. Capacitors are also another common problem with units. Most units have PSC (permanent split capacitor) motors, which means they require a cap to start. When those capacitors blow your system will not start.
Yeah, cap's been replaced. Works now.

But that refrigerant issue is a real concern, unless proven otherwise. We're talking to the HVAC worker who was here, yesterday, to see if he thinks it could be an issue for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back