Slacker's Church Build (updates to pg3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaSlacker

Slacker's Church Build (Burnie Burns approved)

(Newest work on page 5)

Hello everyone, You might recognize me as Pvt. Leonard Church from the popular web series Red vs. Blue. Well that's the goal when I'm finished anyways. I'm hoping to get something ready for PAX this year, although I'll be cutting it really close.

Anyways onto the project, I'm using the pep slush casted with Smooth-cast method and to me it has been much simpler and less troublesome then fiberglass and resin. Now for some pictures:

my helmet, ready for bondo
HPIM0983.jpg

HPIM0982.jpg

the chest piece almost pep'd
HPIM0984.jpg

Various other pieces in different stages of getting smooth-casted.
HPIM0985.jpg

One completed handplate, special thanks to Hale for pointing me in the right direction for the color.
HPIM0980.jpg

Obligatory measuring things picture.
HPIM0968.jpg

Well thanks for looking, more updates to come as they happen.

Looks really good so far! I always pictured a RVB character in the blocky low def armor, but a HD one would be really cool too!

Keep it up!

Your pepping looks great, with clean folds and no warping that I can see. Your paint job on that handplate looks perfect too. Great job so far, can't wait to see more.

Well it's been a bit, so time for an update. First due to time restraints PAX being this weekend and Reach being not too far behind I've switched to a mostly low detail set of armor to be replaced be higher detail pieces as I finish them.
Second picture proof of things happening

My helmet has entered what I can only hope will be one of the fastest bondo phases I have ever seen.
th_HPIM0991.jpg
As you can see the next 2 are low detail shin and boots in plastic phase.
th_HPIM0992.jpg
th_HPIM0993.jpg
My chest has been separated and is having it's magnetic snap assembly installed, I'll explain more of what I'm doing with that later.
th_HPIM0994.jpg
Finally, A few pieces waiting for blackwash, clear coat, and a little bit of padding.
th_HPIM0995.jpg

Well back to it for a marathon race to the finish.

Well now that I haven't posted in 2 months, I've got as much as I can for haloween completed. Sadly, boots that I can actually walk in did not get finished, but basically everything else did.

10-27-2010044.jpg

10-27-2010036.jpg

10-27-2010038.jpg

10-27-2010042.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though as always it's time to work on improved pieces and slowly bring mk. VI church upto full HD pieces and begin work on possibly an old and new mk. V church.

There are at least 2 cabooses around...

Where's the effing sniper rifle! Great job on the suit! For what it is, it is a VERY nice build. Clean pepping with little to no slop. I really like it! If you really want to make it perfect, I'd recommend some more bondo work on the armor (Not critical, the average guy will never notice), but that helmet looks great! The weathering is very good too, not overdone but it doesn't look pristine. I'd have to say this is my favorite build I've seen in quite a while.

And my build is back from the dead,

Since I've been gone I built a wall
th_HPIM0947.jpg
rebuilt my fence
th_HPIM1008.jpg
and learned a few things about using rare earth magnets to hold your chest together
th_HPIM0999.jpg
mainly that you need a strap (like a backpack) or person to hold the back on while removing the front or it's liable to pop off your back for a bit of a fall to the ground and this happens
th_HPIM1004.jpgth_HPIM1005.jpg
Duct tape and hot glue can only do so much to hold it together.

and now onto the build update, I've almost finished peping the new slightly larger to fit better chest, the ab plate, a shoulder, a forearm, and both boots, with various other pieces partially put together.
th_HPIM1006.jpgth_HPIM1007.jpg

I'm hoping to update a little more often with 2 gallon kits of smoothcast arriving tomorrow and the best thing anyone that is slow at pep could ever ask for doing all my cutting for me.
th_HPIM1009.jpg
Seriously I can not recommend this little machine highly enough.

~Slacker out

Its a Craftrobo printer, cuts and scores pep for you. I actually plan on buying one also.

DaSlacker you should take a video to show folks how fast it is.

whoops, yeah forget to say what it was, it's a craftrobo/silhouette SD.

OK, I quickly recorded a page from my thigh being cutout

As you can see it's a little loud, but hauls through pep like no other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very awesome video would love to hear any tricks you picked up from using it, and I just noticed your in Bellingham haha, I'm down in Mount Vernon. You planning on any conventions?

The only real tips/ tricks I know of so far are to make sure to read this thread and that I like changing cut and uncut line segments in the cutline settings box to .04" for both of them, it gives a good perforated line to fold with and is a good size to keep most of the small tabs from getting cutoff.

Right now the only con I'm planning for is PAX at the end of august.

whoops, yeah forget to say what it was, it's a craftrobo/silhouette SD.
As you can see it's a little loud, but hauls through pep like no other.

I need to get me one of those. :)

Nice to see that "Church" is getting his upgrades.
Your new torso is looking very UBER!

:)

Nice build dude! And I've seen a Sis, couple Caboose's, I have a Sarge and working on Meta. Need to get the whole cast represented and together sometime :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back