Laminating Materials for scratch building

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOTHAR

I enjoy doing scratch builds and do a lot of work with rigid foam to do it. This requires taking sheets of foam and making it into blocks. I have had a few questions on the process so decided to photograph my latest part.

LAMINATING
Like I said I use foam, but it works the same with wood, or other materials.
For this I started with two eight foot sections of insulation foam. I used a T-square and a knife to cut it to size. I used wood glue and a brush to smooth it on.

laminate001.jpg

Once you cut your pieces to size simply apply your glue liberally. I would then brush it on to get a smooth even coating over the entire surface.

laminate002.jpg

laminate003.jpg

Then stick one piece on the next. Now you need to clamp it together or otherwise hold it. I was using text books and some weights.

laminate004.jpg

It is best to build it up layer by layer. So add one layer and let it set a little before adding the next. The glue can be slippery when you apply weight or clamps; if you do all your layers at once they can splay out in many directions.

Then continue on until you have a block of appropriate size.

laminate.jpg

Unfortuantely the foam isn't always planar so you can get gaps between layers. Generally they should be small enough that they don't affect the overall block, and they can be easily filled once you have shaped your project.
To shape it I use saws, knives and sand paper. I hope this helps. Enjoy

~Clothar

Nice! I don't have the talent to be able to look at a block of foam and go, "I could do something with that," but I've seen other people do it, and I am envious. If I ever decide to go for it, I now know how to get the block big enough to work with, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back