"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

This thread will contain general first hand knowledge of papercrafting and/or pepakura.

People who don't know: Post questions.

People who know: Answer those questions.

Please be as clear and detailed as possible with your questions and/or answers. Repeated questions or variations of certain questions may be consolidated over time into an FAQ section in the post following this one.

Always ask and answer questions as if you were asking/answering your mother or grandmother. In other words, politely.

Rudeness and/or impatience will be met with an infraction. You don't want too many of those.

These threads are meant to reduce and hopefully eliminated the need for the numerous 'I need help threads' that seem to generate endlessly in this section of the forum.

They are not a be all, end all to all questions that could ever be asked though. Some questions will be project specific and you may need to ask those IN the project's thread itself. However, some may not see your questions there so you may post a link to said project thread in the appropriate "Help!" thread when you need the attention of a few extra eyes.

Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

Tutorial Section:

I keep clicking on the Pepakura Files and it keeps bringing me to a page that says "COMING SOON", does this mean that the website is broken and will be fixed soon? I'm really excited about starting to make my own armor so I hope its fixed soon if its broken.

Not sure if its cool to link to someone else's page/tutorial, but Ithica's videos were a massive help to me when I was just starting with this stuff. He explains alot of the nuances of Pep designer in regular person language (which I need ).

http://soaringhammerincorporatedproductions.com/wp/?page_id=472

Thank you so much For Posting this HOLLYWOOD. All my answers for pep and scaling have been answered.

Like the Visitors from heavan, They came Forth! Hallayuyah!

Hi Everyone,

I would wondering if i could get some help with my pepakura. When I made my pep armor It kinda disintegrated on the corners, making it very flimsy and doesn't really look like its worth resining because if I'm going to spend all that money on resin, bondo and paint I want it to look better than a blob. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated as this is my first armor and I really want to get it right.

Thanks,
Darkjapan

It isn't very crisp. The edges seem to be very rounded despite my best efforts. I use 110lb card-stock, is there a heavier type that's white?

I'm not sure how much 110lb is, because I think and breathe in metric units ;-)
But 110lb should be around 200 g/m². If you go any heavier, your printer might not like that.

I still don't have a clear picture of what you mean, maybe you should add a picture.

Did you make nice, clean folds?

Hello,

I am a old member but I am having someone pepa WETA odst for me. I am trying to find out what the "standard" scalling is. I Am going to mold and cast it when its detailed and done and I want it to fit all who buy one. So, What scaling would be good for this helmet? (at 100% scalled printing) Thanks,

Jacob

for once am callin my self a noob lol....... How do u scale your body to be able to make the armor fight right? ( my friend and i are gonna start making armor this weekend ) hope am posting this in the right area.

Down in the bottom right corner of the Pepakura program, there are 3 dimensions. This will tell you how tall, wide, and deep the assembled piece will be. Have your friend take detailed measurements of your body, and then use that to make a guesstimate of how big you need the pieces to be.

In Pepakura Designer 3, go to 2D Menu-Change Scale-Scale Factor. Enter your guesstimate on how big to make it, and then add 2cm to that. Print, cut, score, assemble, and see if it's too big/small/just right.

You will screw up the scaling occasionally and have to re-pep something. For my suit, I ended up pepping 2 helmets, 5 shins, 3 chests, and 3 belts because I got the scaling wrong.

for once am callin my self a noob lol....... How do u scale your body to be able to make the armor fight right? ( my friend and i are gonna start making armor this weekend ) hope am posting this in the right area.

You don't scale (=make bigger or smaller) your body, you scale the armor :-D

Basically, there's no way to really ensure a good fit before printing. You just have to try, and if the size is wrong, adjust the scale and try again. However, you might just get it right the first time, if you measure your body and then scale the different parts to a size that seems reasonable. The key here is thinking about it, instead of just stupidly copying numbers from somewhere. Keep in mind that your body parts have to fit inside the armour pieces, so if your arm has a diameter of 10cm, scaling an arm piece to 10cm width (hint: the actual dimensions are much more useful than the scale factor here) won't work. Instead, the whole in it has to be 10cm wide, plus some space for padding. Take other properties into consideration as well. A helmet, for example, that fits around your head like a glove, might have an opening that is too small to actually put it on. Or you might have a record-breaking nose that sticks out the front, preventing you from putting in a visor.

Can someone please answer my question (Sorry if I sound pushy but I need it by tomorrow) Thanks,

Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back