"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a question... What would be a good first time Helmet to start on... And one last question, Do you put fiberglass on the outside of the helmet?

I had a question... What would be a good first time Helmet to start on...

Whichever one you want. Use a LD model if you think the HD ones are too difficult.

And one last question, Do you put fiberglass on the outside of the helmet?

No. But resin.

Please do some research, there are plenty of threads that would have answered that last question.

I started with a hand plate and I started gluing and Im not sure if its to scale? how do I measure to scale all of my armor? I know how to measure for my helmet and that's it.

Most people just bend the foam and shape it by gluing it. You need to plan ahead. You can't take a big piece of foam and hope to bend it to the shape you want. You need to cut them in pieces and glue them to the form you want.[/QUOTE]

hmmm....then small-medium small pieces...and potentially put at minor angles for curvature?....mmk, thank you, you have saved me a mess.

I was looking to download pepakura just to see how much it costs to download the designer and i noticed that it specifys "* Pepakura Designer runs on Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000." now this is a problem for me because at home i do not have an internet conection so i got to the library get access to use the computer. They will not let me download programs onto their computers. SO i decided that i would try to download the desinger onto my one friends computer and he would also help me make my suit however he owns a Mac, not a PC so he is not running on any of the traditional windows programs or whatever you want to call it. Now i think i already know the answer to this question but is there a version of pepakura that can run on a Mac computer or does it not matter?

...SO i decided that i would try to download the desinger onto my one friends computer and he would also help me make my suit however he owns a Mac, not a PC so he is not running on any of the traditional windows programs or whatever you want to call it. Now i think i already know the answer to this question but is there a version of pepakura that can run on a Mac computer or does it not matter?

Based on what I read and what I know, you are out of luck. I don't think there is a Mac version. Try EBay. I'm sur you can get a used PC for dirt cheap since computers today drop in price like a rock.

Okay, so today, me and my friend are finishing up our Recon Pep stage of our helmet. It's not wearable because it's too small and we don't really care (supposed to be a practice run). But if we were to continue onto making our helmet look like a helmet what would be the stages? I know about resin, fiberglass, but what about casting? I have no idea about that

Pep, then resin, then harden (Fiberglass or rondo.), then bondo, then paint.

Casting is making copies of the finished helmet using a mold.

I could use some help for scaling armor correctly (yes i have read all the scaling threads but most dont work for me) The using a character pic and using your own height for it gave me measurements which i know are way too small to fit me so that doesnt work. The other way seems to be simply measure whatever measurement you want eg chest width and change that width measurement on the armor piece. For example i want to make the Half-Life HEV suit chest armor, the default setting on the pep is 432mm (seems to be scaled to 38" according to the pep title which is way too small for me) I measured myself and got around 640mm (or around 690 to allow for padding etc) so is all i do change that width measurement from 432mm to 690mm and it will be the right fit? Doing that however greatly increases the height of the armor from 457mm to 728mm which would be way too long on me and look stupid. Is there a way to get around this? I know you can only change one measurement to keep it in proportion so im not sure how to go about this. I wasnt sure where else to post this the scaling threads seem to have necro'd..

I was looking to download pepakura just to see how much it costs to download the designer and i noticed that it specifys "* Pepakura Designer runs on Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000." now this is a problem for me because at home i do not have an internet conection so i got to the library get access to use the computer. They will not let me download programs onto their computers. SO i decided that i would try to download the desinger onto my one friends computer and he would also help me make my suit however he owns a Mac, not a PC so he is not running on any of the traditional windows programs or whatever you want to call it. Now i think i already know the answer to this question but is there a version of pepakura that can run on a Mac computer or does it not matter?

You don't need an internet connection to run Pepakura Designer, just to download it (and any files you want to use).

It does matter and there isn't a Mac version (the FAQ on Tamasoft's website would have told you that as well). There are certain virtualisation (or whatever that is called) programs that you can use to run Windows programs on a Mac, however.

You can also put Pepakura Designer on a USB stick, it'll run from there. Just extract the installer you download, no need to actually install it. I don't know how that affects a license key though, and without one you wouldn't be able to save anything for your next visit to the library.

I could use some help for scaling armor correctly (yes i have read all the scaling threads but most dont work for me) The using a character pic and using your own height for it gave me measurements which i know are way too small to fit me so that doesnt work. The other way seems to be simply measure whatever measurement you want eg chest width and change that width measurement on the armor piece. For example i want to make the Half-Life HEV suit chest armor, the default setting on the pep is 432mm (seems to be scaled to 38" according to the pep title which is way too small for me) I measured myself and got around 640mm (or around 690 to allow for padding etc) so is all i do change that width measurement from 432mm to 690mm and it will be the right fit? Doing that however greatly increases the height of the armor from 457mm to 728mm which would be way too long on me and look stupid. Is there a way to get around this? I know you can only change one measurement to keep it in proportion so im not sure how to go about this. I wasnt sure where else to post this the scaling threads seem to have necro'd..

If your body's proportions greatly vary from those of the costume you plan on doing (too tall, small, corpulent, big head, long arms, short legs - stuff like that), you may have to do some scratch-modifications or you may not be able to wear that particular costume at all.

64 centimetres seems awfully wide to me, I myself am only exactly half as wide. Make sure to actually measure width and not circumference.

Also keep in mind that your width plus padding are the inner width of the model, not the outer width. You may have to do some cross-multiplication based on the picture of the pep file to calculate the outer width you need.

If your body's proportions greatly vary from those of the costume you plan on doing (too tall, small, corpulent, big head, long arms, short legs - stuff like that), you may have to do some scratch-modifications or you may not be able to wear that particular costume at all.

64 centimetres seems awfully wide to me, I myself am only exactly half as wide. Make sure to actually measure width and not circumference.

Also keep in mind that your width plus padding are the inner width of the model, not the outer width. You may have to do some cross-multiplication based on the picture of the pep file to calculate the outer width you need.
Im not a skinny little stick as some armor seems to be scaled for (eg this 38" chest piece is the equivalent of a size small, i wear size xl in t-shirts so typically 46" or thereabouts depending on material etc) so it would be way too small on me. All i really want is to increase the chest width without vastly increasing the height of the armor as it would be like down to my waist. Unfortunately im rather short in height at around 160cm which doesnt help either. I guess my builds wont be as easy as i'd hoped.. i was just going to print out the default in trial and error and see if they fit or not but i dont want to waste all that time, paper and ink for it not to fit me

How do you go about scratch building them to get the dimensions you want? I have no idea how to do it. I've seen some huge guys with perfectly fitting armor so its possible i just dont know how. I want to make the gears COG chest armor too but the scale on that sounds small as well. I could just go by trial and error and keep increasing the sizes slightly til its right but that could take forever. It would be easy to do if it let you change each measurement independently but since it doesnt its making the other dimensions too big. Scratch or modifying the current files may be an option if i would be able to do it though im not really good at things like that

Hi, i have a pep file that is sliced. does anybody know what that means and how to un-slice it so its a solid model thanks a bunch

Rightio, here's my problem. I'm interested in building an EVA helmet, but the helmet pep comes in two parts off the index! I am NOT interested in trying to make two different pieces scale smoothly into one. SO! I've been trying to find a different pep all night, but thus far the index is the ONLY ONE I've found so far :/ So I tried the search bar! :D... turns out EVA is too short/common. So I tried Extra Vehicular Armor!... but that only got me four threads, and none of them had any references pep wise. So I tried Google!... a little... Google isn't nearly as refined :/ I checked the elite forum but I didn't find any EVA builds. My next step is going to be checking avatars/ searching manually for build threads, but even then I doubt I'll get a pep link. I also can't go downloading EVERY halo armor pack I find.

SO!

Does anyone have an EVA helmet pepakura that includes helmet AND visor IN ONE PIECE?

I appreciate it!
~Dark Star

Hi, i have a pep file that is sliced. does anybody know what that means and how to un-slice it so its a solid model thanks a bunch

You can't.

Rightio, here's my problem. I'm interested in building an EVA helmet, but the helmet pep comes in two parts off the index! I am NOT interested in trying to make two different pieces scale smoothly into one. SO! I've been trying to find a different pep all night, but thus far the index is the ONLY ONE I've found so far :/ So I tried the search bar! :D... turns out EVA is too short/common. So I tried Extra Vehicular Armor!... but that only got me four threads, and none of them had any references pep wise. So I tried Google!... a little... Google isn't nearly as refined :/ I checked the elite forum but I didn't find any EVA builds. My next step is going to be checking avatars/ searching manually for build threads, but even then I doubt I'll get a pep link. I also can't go downloading EVERY halo armor pack I find.

You can use Google to search only on the 405th by adding site:405th.com to the search terms.

But if those two files you found were by the same person, chances are that using the same scale will produce parts that fit together. This is where you would actually enter the scale factor instead of dimensions.

Hey,

I was checking out my printer's manual, I stumbled upon this:

17 to 28 lb / 64 to 105 gsm (plain paper except for Canon genuine paper)
Do not use heavier or lighter paper (except for Canon genuine paper), as it could jam in the machine.

Does this mean my printer will not take the necessary paper to print the right weight for the pepakura files?
I believe the recommended weight is 110 lb.

Thanks,
Muted

Hey,

I was checking out my printer's manual, I stumbled upon this:

Does this mean my printer will not take the necessary paper to print the right weight for the pepakura files?
I believe the recommended weight is 110 lb.

Thanks,
Muted

I'd still give it a shot to try printing w/ the heavier cardstock weight. My printer (Epson Stylus Photo R280) said to not use anything other than photo paper or 20lb (normal paper) but it prints like a rockstar on the 110lb. Try searching on google w/ your printer name followed by "110lb cardstock", you might find a guy who's already tried to print on 110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back