Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 20, 2010, 8:22 AM - "Help!" for: Molding #1

This thread will contain general first hand knowledge of molding and the materials, methods, and techniques involved to hopefully ensure you get a great casting.

People who don't know: Post questions.

People who know: Answer those questions.

Please be as clear and detailed as possible with your questions and/or answers. Repeated questions or variations of certain questions may be consolidated over time into an FAQ section in the post following this one.

Always ask and answer questions as if you were asking/answering your mother or grandmother. In other words, politely.

Rudeness and/or impatience will be met with an infraction. You don't want too many of those.

These threads are meant to reduce and hopefully eliminated the need for the numerous 'I need help threads' that seem to generate endlessly in this section of the forum.

They are not a be all, end all to all questions that could ever be asked though. Some questions will be project specific and you may need to ask those IN the project's thread itself. However, some may not see your questions there so you may post a link to said project thread in the appropriate "Help!" thread when you need the attention of a few extra eyes.
    Last edited by 23Magnum; Aug 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM.
    Aug 20, 2010, 8:48 AM - #2

FAQ Section:
    Aug 20, 2010, 8:51 AM - #3

Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

Tutorial Section:
  4. New Recruit
    Sep 17, 2010, 7:46 AM - #4

Don't want to troll or anything,but I'm really looking at molding as an alternative, but unfortunately I haven't been very sucesful in vinding a tut.
    can anyone help?
    Sep 17, 2010, 7:50 AM - #5

There are many general molding tutorials out there on the internet. As far as molding tutorials here, you'll have to be more specific at what you're trying to achieve in order to get a better response to your question.
    Sep 20, 2010, 5:48 PM - #6

How would I mold a weapon, like a Reach Magnum?
  7. Nintendude is offline Nintendude
    Sep 22, 2010, 5:28 PM - #7

Originally Posted by Shadow1336 View Post
    How would I mold a weapon, like a Reach Magnum?
    You would want to mold it with a brush on mold liquid like Rebound-25 for instance and after you have a few good coats on the pistol use a exacto knife to seperate the mold into two halves down the middle, after that you can put a fiberglass jacket over the mold, so it keeps the rubber rigid during molding.
    Sep 30, 2010, 3:50 PM - #8

While these may not be videos of armor molding, there are NUMEROUS vids and tutorials of different viarieties of silicone mold making for different applications on you-tube. Some of the best are from Smooth-on, Reynolds, brickintheyard, and freeman mfg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkzW...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpdOkwitFE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyBawt1-Ec
    Oct 5, 2010, 10:49 AM - #9

Hello im new to the 405th and ive been researching Helmet making. I dont understand molding. To make the helmet dont you make a pep,resin,fiberglass,bond,sand, then paint? Where does the modling come in and what does it do?
    Last edited by I Heart ODST; Oct 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Oct 8, 2010, 1:50 AM - #10

Originally Posted by I Heart ODST View Post
    Hello im new to the 405th and ive been researching Helmet making. I dont understand molding. To make the helmet dont you make a pep,resin,fiberglass,bond,sand, then paint? Where does the modling come in and what does it do?
    You are absolutely correct. The steps you mentioned are the process for making your "master". This is the primary template for your armor piece. Lots of folks go no further and use their master for wearing and showing off. Their master is the finished product. Molding has nothing to do with this process.

What molding does is allows you to make very accurate copies of your "master" piece out of urethane resin or other slush castable materials. That way you dont have to pep, resin, fiberglass, and bondo an entirely new suit just so you can have one red suit and one blue suit. You can just make a mold and cast out as many as you want. This is fine and smiled upon if you do this to the armor YOU built. This is bad and frowned upon and their will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when making molds of armor someone else built without their permission.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
    Oct 8, 2010, 1:00 PM - #11

awesome thanks the forums are kind of crammed i was wondering if you may know of any modling tutorial videos somewhere.
    Oct 8, 2010, 8:49 PM - #12

Originally Posted by I Heart ODST View Post
    awesome thanks the forums are kind of crammed i was wondering if you may know of any modling tutorial videos somewhere.
    This is my favorite, explains everything nicely. Youtube has several videos regarding molding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyzNmw83AU
    Blog Entries
    Oct 19, 2010, 7:42 AM - #13

How do you split molds like in this pic?
  14. Member Since
    May 2010
    Oct 22, 2010, 9:08 AM - #14

ho do i turn on private messages
    Blog Entries
    Oct 23, 2010, 7:33 AM - #15

dude this thread is for help for molding
  16. New Recruit
    Oct 24, 2010, 6:37 PM - #16

I'm brand new to the whole molding part of the process and have a shoulder and boot that have been fiber glassed, but only have one of each, and was wondering if it would be a lot quicker to try to mold them instead of just making the second of each?

-Plus I don't really know which way it would be easiest to do (and cheapest). Split mold with canvas and fiber glass, silicone mold, or something else?
    Oct 27, 2010, 5:13 AM - #17

I'm in the UK and would like to have a go at moulding my armour pieces. Unfortunately I can't find Rebound 25 for sale in the UK. I did find it at one online shop but it was more than double the price you pay in the US, so I assume it was imported. Does anyone know of a UK equivalent to Rebound 25 for moulding and where I can buy it?
  18. New Recruit
    Nov 6, 2010, 7:15 AM - #18

can you mold peped then resined stuff
    Nov 6, 2010, 4:40 PM - #19

Those vids were great. I learned alot real fast. thanks Hollywood

Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    While these may not be videos of armor molding, there are NUMEROUS vids and tutorials of different viarieties of silicone mold making for different applications on you-tube. Some of the best are from Smooth-on, Reynolds, brickintheyard, and freeman mfg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkzW...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRpdOkwitFE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyBawt1-Ec
  20. New Recruit
    Nov 13, 2010, 9:28 PM - #20

I was wondering, insted of buying rebond 25, could I just make a two sided mold useing plaster wrap (the same material use for casting borken bones)? After takeing the object out of the plaster mold, Could I then vacuum form copies of the object.
  21. Member Since
    May 2010
    Nov 15, 2010, 2:59 PM - #21

anybody know a good tut on molding on the 405th site
    Nov 15, 2010, 3:55 PM - #22

Originally Posted by cory045 View Post
    anybody know a good tut on molding on the 405th site
    I just did a quick search for "mold tutorial" and on page one of the results, there's a tutorial (even stickied in the Molded Armor board!) and a question asked by AceNat that should contain lots of helpful pointers (for example, Ben Streeper seems to have done videos about molding).

I believe that you will find whatever you need by looking for it. Have you done that yet?
    Nov 18, 2010, 2:29 PM - #23

Question:

To those who have molded... How many oz of rebound do you suggest for a helmet, say the size of the standard ODST? (approx of course)
    Nov 22, 2010, 12:39 PM - #24

Originally Posted by SPRTNBD50 View Post
    How do you split molds like in this pic?
    could please someone make a tutorial on how to make a mold like this. i want to mold my AR when it is done
    Nov 24, 2010, 3:43 AM - #25

Originally Posted by noble 1 View Post
    could please someone make a tutorial on how to make a mold like this. i want to mold my AR when it is done
    Let me start by saying I am not an expert at molding as I have never actually molded anything, what I am about to say is based solely on what I have been able to pick up from other people on the site (benstreeper's thread "how to resin a helmet from pep to finish" (I think thats the name) in particular) and the smooth-on site (where the below video is actually from)

I know someone had previously said you could do a brush on mold and the cut it in half. That's totally fine and would work great, however, from what I've seen when this is done the cut lines are usually wavy in order to help line the pieces back up again when you want to make a cast. The above picture looks to me (again I'm not an expert) like it was a two part mold.

http://www.smooth-on.com/video_play....xYE&autoplay=1
    This video shows you exactly how to do a two part mold. To me it seems like it would be much easier and cleaner, but that's just me

@dan23 - as far as I know using plaste wrap is NOT a good idea. The wrap cannot get into all the nooks and crannies on your master and you will lose all of your detail, definately not what you want if you are trying to mold something

@Imaus LO1 - This kind of depends on what you plan on doing with your armor. If you were always thinking of making a mold and casting your pieces (so as to make multiple sets of armor) then its probably a good idea as it will save you time. However, if you are only planning on making one suit (which is what I'm guessing) THIS IS A BAD IDEA. It may save you some time (depending on how good you are with pep and bondo) but it will be MUCH more expensive. Molding supplies are not cheap. I would just pep and bondo the second shoulder and boot, it gives you more practice and will be much cheaper.
    Last edited by nrettenmaier; Nov 24, 2010 at 3:49 AM.