Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: "Help!" for: Casting

hey everyone im hoping to make this suit for halloween. im planning on molding the chest and arm pieces and i don't now what material to cast it with. From what i can tell the pieces are soft armor and flexible. my first thoughts was a urethane rubber or maybe foam. any help would be much appreciated. good luck with all ur builds.

Last edited by chrisrunner55; 09-29-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Feet First Into Hell!
    We are ODST!
    My ODST build http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...075#post469075

2. hey i am planning on making a helmet very soon and i was wanting a general list of the materials needed i already have a computer printer and mounts of cardstock (and please dont put things like patience or free time)
    budget: nothing too too expensive but with make a good set of armor

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...lete-Noob-List

About ten posts down from this one.
    So there I was right?
    Check out my Mark VI build! Comments and critiques welcome!

4. Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

5. Need spartan for shoot in southern ca!!

Looking to shoot a video for top 10 YouTube director this weekend this weekend, December 2-4, 2011, located in Indio, CA. We have a Master Chief, we just need people or to rent costumes for a few Spartans. If you can make the shoot, we are willing to pay a day rate. If you have info on where to rent or obtain costumes and guns, please let me know.

Any inquiries, feel free to send an email to mraub@thecollective-la.com. We need to shoot THIS WEEKEND, so if you have the means, we want your help!

6. I talked to Matt earlier today and am down for it! Anyone else in the socal region gonna join in?

Seems like this might be the first post for some actual help in this thread for a while... Here is my question. I started to make a mold for a piece of a gun I'm working on and after building the containment field, pressing the piece down into some clay and pouring on the oomoo, I ran out before the gun was completely covered. My question is, can I pour more urethane rubber on top of it and just continue on like before even though the stuff that is on it now is already hard? Or will I have to make a new mold? Also, if I can just put more rubber on top, can I use a different kind? Like silicon RTV tubes from Lowes or something? Thanks in advance.
    Et si omnes ego non ~ Even if all, not I.

8. Quote Originally Posted by VirtusMaster View Post
    Seems like this might be the first post for some actual help in this thread for a while... Here is my question. I started to make a mold for a piece of a gun I'm working on and after building the containment field, pressing the piece down into some clay and pouring on the oomoo, I ran out before the gun was completely covered. My question is, can I pour more urethane rubber on top of it and just continue on like before even though the stuff that is on it now is already hard? Or will I have to make a new mold? Also, if I can just put more rubber on top, can I use a different kind? Like silicon RTV tubes from Lowes or something? Thanks in advance.
    I have never used any mold making materials nor have I ever casted anything. However, I plan to. I always do TONS of research before I do anything so let me see if I can remember...

I believe you can pour more urethane rubber on within a 24 hour time period (I THINK) It may be less, or longer. Urethane and Silicon do NOT mix. Therefore, it will not bond at all. If you pour Urethane inside a Silicon mold, you dont have to use a release agent (although it is recommended)

Because it is so expensive, I'd go ahead and try adding more urethane. Urethane bonds to Urethane. Silicon bonds to Silicon.
    Hope this helps and I hope I'm not too late in helping!

I have my own question. Will Urethane PLASTIC bond to Urethane RUBBER? Or would it be fine with a release agent (Vaseline / cooking oil spray)

Edit: Didnt realize this post was months ago
    Last edited by Spartan-010; 06-16-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    If you're not trying your best, don't try at all.

9. I'm not sure where to ask this, but casting seems like the most apt description of what I'd like to do.

I made a pep Daedric dagger (from Skyrim) and I would like to fill it with something to make it more solid. I am thinking about filling it with expanding foam (carefully), but it seems like it wouldn't feel heavy enough, and the expanding sounds dangerous.
    So, any other recommendations? Also, would this belong better in another help forum? I am new to this, as well as 405th.

Thanks for any help you can give!

ok where do i start i am looking for a template or some thing to help me start making a odst helmet like the one in my avitaur and the types of metrials to use to make it

thanks for the help
    Last edited by buckwildwolf; 06-23-2012 at 02:05 AM.