"Help!" for: Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Roto urethanes tend to be rather flexible and can collapse in heat. Is Roto-65 strong enough to do detailed pieces such as the beak of a doctors mask from Assassin's Creed? (not to give too much away here...)

Hey guys. About to cast out some stuff. How much smoothcast is required to cast 1 helmet? Would a trial kit be enough?

Yes sir, a trial kit can get you a couple nice and sturdy helms (more if you use the material sparingly)

Different types of plastic trial kits will give you different results. For instance, I noticed a trial kit of ONYX gave me a considerably less amount of material to make pulls from because it is thicker than 320.

I'm using TAP QuikCast for a mask I'm making. For the pep build, do we use Mod Podge or something to fill all the mini-holes left from the pepakura build?

Is Roto-65 strong enough to do detailed pieces such as the beak of a doctors mask from Assassin's Creed? (not to give too much away here.

Shock\Trooper-2148 here. I read the Forum Infractions, Warnings, and Offenses Thread, and I've got one question that has me puzzled. What is Unauthorized Recasting? I just want to know for my own information. Don't want to cause any harm that's all.

Hi, I was wondering how well this method would work for paintballing? Me and my friends want to make armour completely for paintballing and we never even thought about the fact that bondo doesn't work. :S

Shock\Trooper-2148 here. I read the Forum Infractions, Warnings, and Offenses Thread, and I've got one question that has me puzzled. What is Unauthorized Recasting? I just want to know for my own information. Don't want to cause any harm that's all.

Recasting means to make copies of an existing cast. It gets unauthorised when the person who originally made the item doesn't want you to do that. It's like pirating software, just with physical objects.

Hi, I was wondering how well this method would work for paintballing? Me and my friends want to make armour completely for paintballing and we never even thought about the fact that bondo doesn't work. :S

What method? Generic answer: Not at all.

Recasting means to make copies of an existing cast. It gets unauthorised when the person who originally made the item doesn't want you to do that. It's like pirating software, just with physical objects.

What method? Generic answer: Not at all.

Ok, I was just wondering if I were to use smooth cast whether it would crack if I were too shoot it with a paintball gun? Or would eva foam or molding work better?

Does Smoothcast require a respirator to work with?

Also, the only store around my area that sells Smooth Cast is way too far; the closest store is TAP Plastics and they sell something called Tap QuikCast. Does anyone know how this compares to SmoothCast, notably the 300/320 series?

I have the same problem ( Nearest place is in Dallas which is about a 45 minute drive) but if you go online to their site and check out the authorized distributors you can order it from them online.

how thick to cast resin?

I am waiting as we speak for some silicone to finish on a piece, just the final layer (a nice thick layer with registration keys) then it is ready for a jacket. I was wondering what thickness of resin i would need to actually cast something? the plan is paint on a couple of layers of gelcoat to the mold then slush cast with polyester resin, then fill the cavity with expanding builders foam so it has some structure while keeping it light.

I was thinking around 5mm thickness roughly for the casting?

I know all the surface areas as i used a 3d modeller to design it in the first place, and added on some extra for luck and know it will way about 3 kilos at 5mm thick, and i am trying to keep the weight down (out of mdf the current master is about 7 kilos and waaaaaay too heavy :p)

i kinda have the same question. how thick should i cast a helmet? and also, how do people get the visor out of their casts so clean?

Hi Shock\Trooper-2148 here. I'm still and currently in the research phase of my build plan. I'm planning to build two versions of the armor. One set of armor fully made out of pep and strengthening, and the other fully molded and then cast out. I was just wondering. If I wanted to mold and then cast a certain piece myself, did I have to get permission from the source?

By the way, I'm planning on Hugh's ODST Build.

Hi Shock\Trooper-2148 here. I'm still and currently in the research phase of my build plan. I'm planning to build two versions of the armor. One set of armor fully made out of pep and strengthening, and the other fully molded and then cast out. I was just wondering. If I wanted to mold and then cast a certain piece myself, did I have to get permission from the source?

By the way, I'm planning on Hugh's ODST Build.

if you mean get permission from the pepakura file designer then no. you only use the pep file to get the shape. you may want to thank them, but you do not need their permission, because what is on the outside of the pep, such as fiberglass, bondo, and such, is your own creation.

casting quantities

i will be making helmets soon an need the AVERAGE quantities of smoothcast 320 to make a strong but not to heavy mold (hard enough to take the weight of a person standing on it).

i will be making helmets soon an need the AVERAGE quantities of smoothcast 320 to make a strong but not to heavy mold (hard enough to take the weight of a person standing on it).

No idea, but just so you get the terminology straight: You're talking about a cast here. The thing it comes out of is the mould (or mold in AE).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back