"Help!" for: Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acrylic paint DOES fling. Make sure your paint brush is wet, get a good amount of paint on it, but don't leave a big glob on it and wipe off some off the excess, dip it in some more water and fling away! lol That is how I did my Kat costume.:p

Yay! I can does the fling! :p
I was thinking that water would wreck it. I guess not. Thanks for your help

A little bit of paint thinner might help it fling as well, or use some of the reducer often used with a paint gun to make the paint easier to spray.

Howdy guys, just a quick question I've heard about the salt method for battle chipping I was wondering if any one has used salt flakes, I ask because I plan on using them cause of their size and different shape, I hope they will give me a more chaotic look to the chipping.

I think the salt method, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is geared more toward scale models (tanks and the like). I'd be worried that the overall effect would seem out of scale on a suit of armor. Though, I would be interested in seeing an attempt.

I think the salt method, and correct me if I'm wrong here, is geared more toward scale models (tanks and the like). I'd be worried that the overall effect would seem out of scale on a suit of armor. Though, I would be interested in seeing an attempt.

I dunno I seen it mentionend here before, I think it's to accompany larger dents and scratches to give the look like shrapnel damage from projectile weapons that shatter on the armour. I'm not sure, i have a botched knife at home ill give it a whirl on that.

I need some Canadian help;
I have looked everywhere for rustoleum satin oregano
spray paint. Found it on amazon.ca ($67 a can).
Home Depot, lowes, Rona, Sears, Canadian tire all no.
Any help would be great.

I've seen alot of really nicely done helmets with the UNSC logo on the side. How do you do that and make it look good? Sticker? Stencil?

Military face paint Tutorial
So I decided to do this for anyone who cosplays as a halo marine. I havent seen anything about face paints yet on the forum but if it adds some realism to your costume then ive done my job.
555891_10150898935146198_1444341579_n.jpg

Items Needed: Hunters Specialty or other hunting face paint. can usually be acquired for less than $20 at your local walmart, bass pro, cabelas, or other sporting goods store. Also you will probably want a paper plate to use as a palette and a rag lightly soaked in warm water.
Technique: Squirt a small amount of each color onto a palette. I mean REALLY small drops, like half the size of a dime. this stuff goes a long way and you dont want to waste it. dab a tiny amount onto your index finger. AGAIN I stress tiny amount.

Vietnam Era Tiger Stripe
I always start with the black. Apply to the middle of your face, and spread outwards at an angle. remember you want the paint to be thinner at each end.
376218_10150902332021198_1003652117_n.jpg

Next apply brown, slightly overlapping the black so that no skin shows where the two colors meet.
580981_10150902332131198_830640171_n.jpg

Finally apply the green.
314727_10150902332251198_1010269705_n.jpg

Military face paint technique #2
I started out cosplaying as Tom Clany's Ghost Recon, from the original games where the guys painted their faces instead of wearing masks.
This is my "Ghost" tutorial
555891_10150898935146198_1444341579_n.jpg

Items Needed: Hunters Specialty or other hunting face paint. can usually be acquired for less than $20 at your local walmart, bass pro, cabelas, or other sporting goods store. Also you will probably want a paper plate to use as a palette and a rag lightly soaked in warm water.
Technique: Squirt a small amount of each color onto a palette. I mean REALLY small drops, like half the size of a dime. this stuff goes a long way and you dont want to waste it. dab a tiny amount onto your index finger. AGAIN I stress tiny amount.
532342_10150898934496198_1610823381_n.jpg

This is a bit more difficult. Close your eyes. rub the black over the eyelid and around the eye socket. This works best with the military grade paint ive pictured because when you sweat it doesnt run into your eyes. It doesn't show it in this picture but you will also want to do the underside of your nose in black as well. Dont worry if you get it smeared in the mustache area because you will overlap it with green later. As you can see I got a little more on one eye than the other. Use the warm rag to clean up the excess around the eye but make sure you dry the area before applying paint.
479951_10150898934616198_1282754481_n.jpg

This step is only for those that want to go crazy with it. Because I have actually done this stuff for work, I coat my entire neck and cheeks up to the cheekbone and the underside of my jaw in Brown.
535023_10150898934721198_1579046016_n.jpg

Now comes the green. Apply it to in a Misfits looking skull shape. I avoid the forehead because I know ill be wearing a helmet.
394606_10150898934821198_127891226_n.jpg

This is a difficult step. Blend a small amount of green into the cheekbones to define them.
382513_10150898935086198_2128103737_n.jpg

Lastly use three fingers and apply the skull teeth.

try to print out a desighn of the camo and then paint in layers so when you peal off your design it ends up like the digital camo you want it will take multiple designs if you want more than 2 colors so keep that in mind

Hey guys! I just found a can of aerosol plasti-dip in my car that I'd forgotten about from the last time I went out for painting supplies in October. Has anyone had experience with plasti-dip from cans that had once been stored in freezing temps?

Hello guys I just finished painting my armor of with samurai paint army green. And it's resulted in rougher surfaces . I tried to sand it with my 2000 grit but it peel off especially on edges. So I was wondering an1 got any idea how to smooth it out without peeling the paint ?

Fyi I paint my armor around 15 cm away and spray it one time every 15 min so I'm not sure it's painting method prob.

If it's peeling, it means the original surface needed more prep work. I would take it down to the original surface with 400 grit and not sand any higher than that before repainting. Then use a decent quality self etching primer, and follow with your spray paint. A few pics would be helpful for diagnosing the issue as well!

If it's peeling, it means the original surface needed more prep work. I would take it down to the original surface with 400 grit and not sand any higher than that before repainting. Then use a decent quality self etching primer, and follow with your spray paint. A few pics would be helpful for diagnosing the issue as well!

It's peeling only on the edges. I do sand it's down till all smooth out. I would start from 200 grit to 380 grit then to 2000grit(wet sand)

It's peeling only on the edges. I do sand it's down till all smooth out. I would start from 200 grit to 380 grit then to 2000grit(wet sand)

Wetsanding to 2000G before painting is probably the issue, as the paint has nothing to grip to! Unless I'm misinterpreting that you sand to 380, paint, then are Wetsanding. Nonetheless, I'd suggest sanding back with 380-400 grit, then repainting with thin coats to ensure it is smooth without needing to sand afterwards.

Wetsanding to 2000G before painting is probably the issue, as the paint has nothing to grip to! Unless I'm misinterpreting that you sand to 380, paint, then are Wetsanding. Nonetheless, I'd suggest sanding back with 380-400 grit, then repainting with thin coats to ensure it is smooth without needing to sand afterwards.

Ok I try that out. I just know that making the surface to smooth will cause the pain harder to stick lol.

ps: Sry for late reply I just got an operation yesterday.

Ok I try that out. I just know that making the surface to smooth will cause the pain harder to stick lol.

ps: Sry for late reply I just got an operation yesterday.

No worries! Hope your recovery goes well!

Hi all! Im wanting to do battle damge looks to a helmet, ive seen tutorial videos of how to do so but im not sure how they keep the silver metallic layer under the colored layer from getting scratched off, just wondering how to make the paint look scratched with a metal look underneath, Thanks!

Option 1: Paint your helmet all silver, add battle damage masks using condiments, toothpaste or actual latex masking fluid. Paint your helmet its actual colour, then pull/rub/wash off your masks to reveal the silver underneath prior to starting the weathering coat.

Option 2: Paint your helmet its final colour, then take a dremel sanding drum to it and scar it up. Clean all the dust out from the gouges, then paint the insides silver.

You can technically use both of these techniques simultaneously, since they achieve slightly different results, but be careful of over-weathering, which looks cartoonish and fake rather than badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back