"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
found these gloves online, anyone think they look like MC's gloves, just paint em green? only 8 bucks wondering if theyd work good...

http://www.airsofteverything.com/store//show_product/?product_id=42731980&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airsofteverything.com%2Fstore-categories-Gloves_3796422.html

Well, first of all, the Chief's gloves are black, so no need to paint them (assuming you're making the Pepakura handguards, which would be painted green).

Secondly, those gloves are fingerless, which would be incorrect if you're going for accuracy. But if you can find a similar, full-fingered glove, than they would seem to work fine.

Read this thread (
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list ) paying particular attention to the "How to use the Search function" portion.

Questions about visors are asked regularly and there are many different answers. There are also many different visors; Master Chief, ODST, Recon, etc. Peform a thorough search of the boards and you will find a method that works for you.

(*Edit* - Used the search function to find the method I prefer to make a dual layer Master Chief visor: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/1350-Dual-Layer-Visor-Mini-Tutorial )

I'd also suggesting read the other information provided in the thread, you may want to pay particular attention to the mentor program.

Quick question

Do you encourage or recomend members yo design or create other types of armour besides halo? (Its just a question that i was desperately looking for an answer for).:confused

Do you encourage or recomend members yo design or create other types of armour besides halo? (Its just a question that i was desperately looking for an answer for).:confused

yes, while this is mostly a halo based community, we encourage armor builds from other sources as well

Mad Scientist Idea

I recently started working on my armor in pepakura and after an almost complete Reach chest I decided to change medium. I elected to switch to foam for the lessened after assembly work it requires. I sat stewing on how to construct the helmets and decided that foam simply would not do the trick. It was then that I had an idea that led me to my next idea. I thought that it would be an interesting thought to build the pepakura helmet to use as a template in order to thermoform plastic into the helmet.

The final idea cam to me after several hours of searching to plastic sheeting.

If I was going to make the helmet from lightweight plastics... why not the whole armor??

Enter the mad scientist portion of the idea. I decided that we already have the 3D model for all the armor components, why not use a 3D printer for them. I'm not meaning a rapid prototyper, I am meaning a 3d Printer that uses extruded plastic to create its models.

Such as a REPRAP or a MakerBot (links at bottom of post)

My point here is simply only to ask if I am the first person to have this idea, or if others have thought of this and tried it before me? The printer is rather expensive, but I would say well worth the price for all it can do. If anyone has any data on using this type of hardware to build armor and props, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tobias

P.S.~ Links: http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-thing-o-matic.html

I currently have a Mendel and a Huxley 3D printer and can say if its smaller pieces to add to your costume you have the right idea. If its to make larger pieces (say bigger than the gauntlet piece) your really just blowing money out the door. After I get a few more armor pieces done I will be doing little addons with my printers and will try to hit you up with some pics as I get there.

Question about helmets and foam: Which would you recommend? The floor mats or craft foam? I was thinking craft foam since it's much more thinner and flexible but it's not as sturdy as the floor mats...

Question about helmets and foam: Which would you recommend? The floor mats or craft foam? I was thinking craft foam since it's much more thinner and flexible but it's not as sturdy as the floor mats...

While I'm not 100% sure, I believe most people who make foam armor suits still make a Pep helmet. However, I have seen at least one foam helmet, and I think the material used was the EVA floor mat foam.

What would be good for the two tubes on each side of the mk 6 helmet?

While I'm sure it's not the only way, I used wire organization tubing that used to hide TV cables, etc. It's ribbed, thin, and flexible. I think I picked up a package of it at an IKEA for super cheap, but I'm sure you should be able to find it at many other stores.

Check out how I did it here.

(Darnit, I clicked out of my tab and have to write this again)

Sorry if this is not the right thread for this question, but I'm pressed for time.

I'm currently working on a sculpt of the Dead Space 2 "Advanced Suit" helmet (I'll provide an earlier-stage picture below) with water-based clay. I've gotten pretty far I think, and I have only some detailing, alignment, and smoothing out to do before I'm ready for the mold-making process, I reckon.
Unfortunately, with my job, college, and other responsibilities, I haven't been able to work on it for a while, and about two weeks ago, the sculpt started to show major signs of drying out (a small piece or two fell off, and cracks have formed from the minor shrinking). Is there anything you folks can recommend so I can salvage this piece? I don't want it to crack under my fingers while I'm finishing it (I have about 12 lbs left of clay; I had bought 25 lbs of water-base), and I don't want to start again unless I really need to.
I would have gotten oil-based (the burnt orange type that many people seems to use), but it's rather expensive, and there aren't any distributors near me (shipping 25 lbs of that water-based clay cost a small fortune). Seeing as how this is my first attempt at armormaking, I wanted to go cheap and efficient. I guess not efficient enough!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/overhangandemardrom/Img_00030.jpg?t=1305659830

Ok i was wondering about something, I finished my CQB helmet and was wondering what does everyone use to pad the inside of it? I cant find anything about it and im a little tight with money so i cant really buy stuff to test.

Ok i was wondering about something, I finished my CQB helmet and was wondering what does everyone use to pad the inside of it? I cant find anything about it and im a little tight with money so i cant really buy stuff to test.

don't know about everyone else, but you can get upholstery foam (their cheap) at the Craft store (like Joanns) or even a shop that sells that (to repair sofas)

or you can by the "insides" of a motorcycle helmet (ebay)

Or make your own.

i haz a question

i haz a question

will the paper version(pepekera)with the fiber glass and every thing (basicly the version that indymogul does) be able to deflect pantballs well
if not plzz list one that will

also i dont want 2 spend over 200 dolors

i haz a question

will the paper version(pepekera)with the fiber glass and every thing (basicly the version that indymogul does) be able to deflect pantballs well
if not plzz list one that will

also i dont want 2 spend over 200 dolors

It won't stop them and it will definitely not "deflect" them. Don't use it for paintball. Discussions about using armour for paintball or airsoft are generally discouraged here.

You should also note that spending 100$, as shown in the video, will not result in the grey armour Erica is wearing (remember where she says "but only if you have extra cash"?). And yes, I did read that you have twice that amount, but that's still not a lot of money if quality is your goal. Also, remember the parts where she says "it's a lot of work"? That is true. Very true.

If you want to join the forums anyway, please make sure to read this first. It would also be very nice if you could use a few punctuation marks here and there keep the lolspeak to yourself because that tends to annoy people, which will lead to big-time flamewars, get people banned and generally ruin the day.

Now, with all that being said, have fun.

Do you guys have any experience working with EVA foam as an armor medium? I'm about to start a pretty ambitious project involving EVA foam and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back