"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right place for the following question:

Have you guys ever shipped your armor (pepakura, not foam) for a moving? I will move at the end of February from Boston to Italy and I'm looking for advise about how pack the armor in the safest way!!! Thanks in advance!
I'd recommend those giant bubble wrap type things, they always come in my packages from amazon. They're like 6 inch square bubbles of air, they really do help to cushion the product though, never had anything broken while using them!

anyone know what to do if my helmet is sized to my head, but cant get through the opening?

Chainsaw.

But seriously, options I'd consider are 1] (what most people do) trim the opening so your head can fit through (an option I'm not keen on myself, as it distorts the look of the helmet's bottom), 2] replace the bottom with foam so it's flexible and will allow your head through, or 3] split the helmet like people do with the torso and apply it in two halves, like the Power Rangers helmets.

Hi Everyone! :)
I'm going to be making a mannequin of my body to help with sizing my foam armor as I go along. I'm going to be making the mannequin out of duct tape (and help from a friend). For those of you who have made one this way; what did you fill it with once it was completed?

Thanks!

I havent made one before, but i think the duct tape is strong enough to support itself, if not, i recommend expanding foam insulation, but you have to be careful because it can expand so much that it bursts the thing that you are filling. if you use it, i would go with drilling small holes to relaease the foam then cutting the foam to be level with the duct tape. Good luck:)

I'm going to be making a mannequin of my body to help with sizing my foam armor as I go along. I'm going to be making the mannequin out of duct tape (and help from a friend). For those of you who have made one this way; what did you fill it with once it was completed?

1) wrap body in Saran Wrap.
2) wrap that in duct tape.
3) cut way out carefully and with as few cuts as possible.
4) stuff with newspaper and tape cuts back together with more duct tape. Should keep dimensions about the same, and it's cheap to do.

Thanks!

As Ghost Bear 027 said, use cling wrap before you wrap duct tape around yourself, this preserves your clothes. When it comes to stuffing, I used shredded newspapers. Brown packaging paper also works.

Alright, so I have a question that might not have been asked yet.

I'm in the process of detailing the foot part of the Halo 4 undersuit, (Only the foot, like with no armor pieces hovering/attatched to the surface of it.) and I was thinking I want to make the shoe without having to put a real shoe in it. So I came up with an idea. What if, after the whole molding process, I could fill the inside of the mold with some flexible material, wrap my real-life foot in cling wrap (like a duct tape dummy) and stick in the mold and let it harden around my foot, making it a perfect and comfortable fit to my foot when the cast is pulled out.

Would this actually work? I've had this idea on my mind for a couple days, but I don't have the expertise to know if this is actually feasible.

Alright, so I have a question that might not have been asked yet.

I'm in the process of detailing the foot part of the Halo 4 undersuit, (Only the foot, like with no armor pieces hovering/attatched to the surface of it.) and I was thinking I want to make the shoe without having to put a real shoe in it. So I came up with an idea. What if, after the whole molding process, I could fill the inside of the mold with some flexible material, wrap my real-life foot in cling wrap (like a duct tape dummy) and stick in the mold and let it harden around my foot, making it a perfect and comfortable fit to my foot when the cast is pulled out.

Would this actually work? I've had this idea on my mind for a couple days, but I don't have the expertise to know if this is actually feasible.

I am not going to say it won't work, but I can see problems that may arise. First would be finding a material durable enough to withstand the abuse a normal shoe undergoes. Second would be breathability. If those two can be worked out, then this is a good idea that I think would work nicely.

I simply built my undersuit footwear from scratch using EVA.

Silly me, I completely forgot about the breathablity factor.... I think I could remedy that by drilling a few air holes in the broad side connecting to where the foot goes. I could apply a fine mesh material over the holes to keep mud and unwanted bugs out as well... For the material, I was thinking silicone so it can flex with the foot.... As for the bottom, I think I could make a separate thin mold that incorporates the detail on the bottom of the shoe, and cast that as a solid piece with a thicker rubber. I'll have to think more on that bit.

Thank you for the quick reply! Oh, and your undersuit build is what got me inspired to take on this project. You have amazing skill, and amazing work to prove it. :D

What about ballistic gel? I bet that would feel great to walk on all day. Though I'm not sure how fast it sets up.

After doing a bunch of research of shore hardness and other things, I've found out that Smooth-On sells a product called "Econ 80 Urethane Rubber". The durability of this material is better than a truck tire yet less than a skateboard wheel. That solves the problem for the sole of the boot, but I am unsure about the ballistics gel for the main body. All I know about it is that it is used in bullet penetration and effectiveness tests.

My main concerns about using the gel would be:
1:Cost to make/buy
2:Can it be cured around your foot without harm, and
3:Will it be ripped apart or shredded by mild abrasives? (ie: dirt, gravel, or sand paper)

I am having an issue that seems to have very few threads related to it, or at least I am not finding them well enough. Two of my friends who have joined the 405th a few days after me have lost the ability to access the site completely. As soon as their accounts were activated properly the site would time out every time they accessed it. I was just wondering if there is anyone knows why this is happening and if there is a solution to the issue.

After doing a bunch of research of shore hardness and other things, I've found out that Smooth-On sells a product called "Econ 80 Urethane Rubber". The durability of this material is better than a truck tire yet less than a skateboard wheel. That solves the problem for the sole of the boot, but I am unsure about the ballistics gel for the main body. All I know about it is that it is used in bullet penetration and effectiveness tests.

My main concerns about using the gel would be:
1:Cost to make/buy
2:Can it be cured around your foot without harm, and
3:Will it be ripped apart or shredded by mild abrasives? (ie: dirt, gravel, or sand paper)

So after a bit of research ballistics gel probably wouldn't be the best choice. though it is really cheap to make it doesn't hold up to wear and tear. but it is safe to pour over your foot. but it would cure unless you put your foot in the fridge.

NEW Idea, Dragon Skin by Smooth On. Its rubbery, and flexible, and pretty durable. Not sure if its safe to put on your bare foot, But you could make a mold of your foot and use that.

Hey all! Need some assistance here with finding a peticular pair of gloves. So I've seen these gloves before (the ones I'm trying to find), but I cannot find them on the internet or 405th where ever I have searched. They resemble these gloves:
zt_2230_fullglv_prt___zephyr_tactical_full_finger_gloves.jpg

but they are a little bit longer, and have a different pattern for the glove itself(striped if I recall correctly). These gloves do have the armor over them similar the ones in the image, but they have a different fit around the hand... a tighter fit. I hope that's enough info for someone to imagine what I am looking for :D.

I am having an issue that seems to have very few threads related to it, or at least I am not finding them well enough. Two of my friends who have joined the 405th a few days after me have lost the ability to access the site completely. As soon as their accounts were activated properly the site would time out every time they accessed it. I was just wondering if there is anyone knows why this is happening and if there is a solution to the issue.

My spouse and I have been having a similar issue. What we found out is that the IP might be the issue. Either wait several days, or get an IP # blocker. Apparently the site here has been having this issue randomly for the last 6 months or so. At least that is what my spouse was able to figure out from reading a lot of older posts on the 405th's facebook page.

My spouse and I have been having a similar issue. What we found out is that the IP might be the issue. Either wait several days, or get an IP # blocker. Apparently the site here has been having this issue randomly for the last 6 months or so. At least that is what my spouse was able to figure out from reading a lot of older posts on the 405th's facebook page.

Yeah many people have had issues connecting to the site.

Try THIS. I use this all the time when I have issues connecting to a website or need to share files with peers through P2P networking.

Hey all! Need some assistance here with finding a peticular pair of gloves. So I've seen these gloves before (the ones I'm trying to find), but I cannot find them on the internet or 405th where ever I have searched. They resemble these gloves:
zt_2230_fullglv_prt___zephyr_tactical_full_finger_gloves.jpg

but they are a little bit longer, and have a different pattern for the glove itself(striped if I recall correctly). These gloves do have the armor over them similar the ones in the image, but they have a different fit around the hand... a tighter fit. I hope that's enough info for someone to imagine what I am looking for :D.

I think I found the gloves you are looking for, or something similar....\
$_57.JPG

I found them <<HERE>> at Alipinestars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back