"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

This thread will contain general first hand knowledge of anything that just doesn't fit in with the other "Help!" topics.

People who don't know: Post questions.

People who know: Answer those questions.

Please be as clear and detailed as possible with your questions and/or answers. Repeated questions or variations of certain questions may be consolidated over time into an FAQ section in the post following this one.

Always ask and answer questions as if you were asking/answering your mother or grandmother. In other words, politely.

Rudeness and/or impatience will be met with an infraction. You don't want too many of those.

These threads are meant to reduce and hopefully eliminated the need for the numerous 'I need help threads' that seem to generate endlessly in this section of the forum.

They are not a be all, end all to all questions that could ever be asked though. Some questions will be project specific and you may need to ask those IN the project's thread itself. However, some may not see your questions there so you may post a link to said project thread in the appropriate "Help!" thread when you need the attention of a few extra eyes.

Tutorials that involve this thread's subject matter and are approved by the site staff will be linked in this post. Please review them as they may already contain the answers you seek.

Tutorial Section:

Hello i got question about the under suit for the spartans. whats best to use when doing undersuits? is some thing like a diver suit good or should i use two parts like a shirt and pants?

Hey I had a question about how to make clear lines when sculpting a helmet because when i use an exacto knife it makes clear lines but when i try to widen the line it becomes ragged

I had an idea of making armor thanks to a video I found linking me to this site. I am quite brand new to this community and just had a few questions.

I was looking to maybe make armor from Final Fantasy universe and was wondering on how about to make it. I noticed how it is broke down to make master chiefs armor. Is their some type of program to break stuff down to draw it out?

Any help be appreciated!

Hey I had a question about how to make clear lines when sculpting a helmet because when i use an exacto knife it makes clear lines but when i try to widen the line it becomes ragged

Get yourself a triangle file (bought mine on Amazon) it will help you get a nice smooth tapered line. I used this along with a dremel to get the deep line-work on my odst helm.

Good luck

I had an idea of making armor thanks to a video I found linking me to this site. I am quite brand new to this community and just had a few questions.

I was looking to maybe make armor from Final Fantasy universe and was wondering on how about to make it. I noticed how it is broke down to make master chiefs armor. Is their some type of program to break stuff down to draw it out?

Any help be appreciated!

In some cases you can 'rip' a 3d model from a game. A member on here (Nintendude) has been doing it for some time now. I am not sure on how to do it myself, I like to make my own models to work from. I know that if you plan on pulling any art from Final Fantasy the 3d models are going to need a lot of reworking. And they are also only going to give you a very rough shape to work from. You'll have to sculpt that detail by hand.

Currently I am working on a 3d model of Judge Gabranth, my next project after odst. Most of the trimming on the armor will have to be done by hand simply because making it in pepakura isn't feasible. The same goes for a lot of the other FF armors, you have lots of ornate detailing that would make it a nightmare to model in 3d. That is why a lot of it is normal maps and textures in game :)

In some cases you can 'rip' a 3d model from a game. A member on here (Nintendude) has been doing it for some time now. I am not sure on how to do it myself, I like to make my own models to work from. I know that if you plan on pulling any art from Final Fantasy the 3d models are going to need a lot of reworking. And they are also only going to give you a very rough shape to work from. You'll have to sculpt that detail by hand.

Currently I am working on a 3d model of Judge Gabranth, my next project after odst. Most of the trimming on the armor will have to be done by hand simply because making it in pepakura isn't feasible. The same goes for a lot of the other FF armors, you have lots of ornate detailing that would make it a nightmare to model in 3d. That is why a lot of it is normal maps and textures in game :)

Currently i have a very small amount of Final Fantasy items, mostly a few weapons the problem there is because it's a Playstation game primarily it's very hard to rip a model from it the only way for it to be done is to use a Emulator from a site like CoolROMs for instance with your game and you will need to have Direct X8 on your PC. You will also need 3D Ripper DX which will pull the 3D model out of the game. Depending on the game you get the model from your model could be very rough. Now when you set up the emulator with your game and set up the 3D Ripper DX program while the game is running with the ripper program running in the background whenever you hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard it will rip the models on the screen. Not sure what kind of files you would end up with but a program called Milkshape should open the ripped file for editing.

I'm about to start my very first armor soon and I want to use it for more than just show and tell, I was wondering is the armor strong enough to withstand a frozen paintball shot? or even a BB gun shot

I'm about to start my very first armor soon and I want to use it for more than just show and tell, I was wondering is the armor strong enough to withstand a frozen paintball shot? or even a BB gun shot

There's a thread where that very question has JUST been asked. Short answer: No. Longer answer: Maybe, but it's too dangerous, don't try it.

There's a thread where that very question has JUST been asked. Short answer: No. Longer answer: Maybe, but it's too dangerous, don't try it.

Oh sorry didnt see it and is there no way to reinforce it with anything like more bondo or maybe size it so theres more depth or width in the piece?

Oh sorry didnt see it and is there no way to reinforce it with anything like more bondo or maybe size it so theres more depth or width in the piece?

When increasing the thickness, every material gets bulletproof at some point...

The thing is: This is a safety issue. If you want bulletproof clothing, get a ballistic vest, but even with that it's best to not get shot in the first place.

Quite a few things could happen when your fiberglass armour gets hit by a hard projectile. Maybe nothing happens. Maybe the surface gets damaged, so you'll have to do some more or less extensive repairs. Maybe the whole thing shatters. The projectile might even deflect and hit you somewhere else, or somebody/something around you. Same thing goes for shrapnels that might break off on impact. And all this is assuming that it actually is your armour that gets hit, which might not even be the case, because all Halo armour has major gaps. All your joints and most vital organs (where injuries suck the most) are virtually unprotected.

If you want to experiment with your health (I'd advise against that), do it at your own risk and don't come crying later on.

When increasing the thickness, every material gets bulletproof at some point...

The thing is: This is a safety issue. If you want bulletproof clothing, get a ballistic vest, but even with that it's best to not get shot in the first place.

Quite a few things could happen when your fiberglass armour gets hit by a hard projectile. Maybe nothing happens. Maybe the surface gets damaged, so you'll have to do some more or less extensive repairs. Maybe the whole thing shatters. The projectile might even deflect and hit you somewhere else, or somebody/something around you. Same thing goes for shrapnels that might break off on impact. And all this is assuming that it actually is your armour that gets hit, which might not even be the case, because all Halo armour has major gaps. All your joints and most vital organs (where injuries suck the most) are virtually unprotected.

If you want to experiment with your health (I'd advise against that), do it at your own risk and don't come crying later on.

LOL dont worry bout me im tough enough its just I dont want to severly damage it and chip it cause THEN stuff can get out of hand...but thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back