3 Halo guns in two weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Juukyuu
I don't use pep files for my work. I draw everything from eye. Example: I look at a screenshot of a weapon and I scale it and draw it, starting with the grip and magazine. I make a draft of it and it's dimensions and re-draw it onto a sheet of PVC plastic. This suits me better than using a wireframe or a pep, but I do have peps and wireframes for references. Mostly I have to think up shapes and dimensions to get the finished product. They may not be detail accurate, but theyr'e more functinal.
As for using a nerf gun as your base unit, thats a good way to start. I'm not much of a sculpter, so I can't give you a whole lot of advice on using bondo to make straight edges and such. (Unless its an organic shape:))

@dericrw
I'm glad you think so.

Okay update time. The resin and silicone is on it's way here, but ihave yet found any suitible knobs for the M6J rearsight and the M6S SOCOM LAM. Might have to go to the DI and get an old stereo or something for the knobs. As for the bolts, theres four unique bolts i have to get, hopefully Fastenol will have what I need.
Taking a break from building stuff, I started drafting the M90 CAWS (aka Halo Shotgun). On the model it looks as though it has the 8 bore barrel and magazine, but the reciever looks that of a 12 guage. Also the pump action gets in the way of the extractor, so Im modding it as well. This is another reason why I make my own drafts.
Thanks for your interest and support, feel free to comment.

@got armour
I'm glad you like it.
I'll be starting a thread in the classifieds as soon as I make my first successful cast. Stay tuned...

@S1l3nt V1p3r
Yeah, I did a lot of reading on firearms, and have a plethera of gun schematics. I was also a Glock armorer, I rebuilt a Desert Eagle, rebuilt a Remington 870, rebuilt a Remington 1100 (1100's are a peice of crap along with anything that shoots a .40 cal) I'm no expert, but I do know my way around with firearms.

Your thread is my favourite thread so far.
Every day I'm hoping theres an update from this thread.
Seriously, nice build.
Keep up the good work!

As you can tell Tactonyx, I am a fan of your work. I think your next challenge is molding and casting wihtout destroying your original work. I'm sure you'll figure it out with minimal trial and error.

Also, I know its for finishing purposes, but that color makes your guns look like they're made of hard rubber.

@fat-hi555
Thanks, Im glad this is your favorite thread. Yeah, after the M6 shroud of mystery, I think it's probably best to show regular updates on all my projects, and maybe have a surprise one here and there.

@Sumofl
Yeah, took me three days to come up with a design that still follows the Halo design language. I had my favorite, but it didn't fit in, so I got references to all Misriah based weapons and merged their elements together, thus, the carbine was born. Real world optics don't fit on the carbine (Because of the rear sight) but the DMR scope does, and all future optics that will get constructed will be able to attach as well.

@alix965
Thanks, I've really enjoyed your comments you've posted here. I agree with you there about the molding, the slide and the frame are going to be a challenge. The frame has the mag well, the barrel shroud, and the overhang on the frame that will making molding difficult, and the slide has the firing pin channel. But I have a plan for the frame and slide, so we'll see how that goes.
Yeah, the primer does make it look like a red gun. When I handle them, I half expect to be grabbing rubber.

A quick update.
I've managed to find the knobs for the M6J rear sight and the M6S SOCOM's LAM (A lot of XBox components lost their lives to bring you guys this awesomeness) I cleaned up the inner workings and they work fine again (definately gonna use black dye in the resin) and right now I'm getting the gun prepped for molding. Hopefully all goes well.

@gingersnapples & got armour
Theres Weapon System Technologies and Armalite MG UNSC. But yeah, most of the weapons in the halo universe are Misriah brand.

A small update tonight. To save you guys the headach of field stripping my gun, I am switching the spring from extension to compression. The extension spring is too complex to mess with when changing out different barrels, so hopefully the compression will sit well with the pistol this time around.

@Telemus
I'm going to try to make a video of my pistol in all of it's glory. Right now I'm doing touchups on the gun.
I switched from extension spring to compression spring for the slide. I have a dual spring setup (Not like the H&K or Glock 17 Gen4) that just works beautifully. How easy is the gun going to be to field strip? Pull one pin and remove plate and its stripped. And as easy as it sounds. Better news, I got my molding stuff so I can start on the molds tonight once I finish with all the touchups. You can expect a buyers list sometime next week.

Edit:

Got the mold boxes nearly complete, with the intent on molding tonight. Last night I had to do the unthinkable, and partially why I'm behind schedule in molding. I wanted the grip in one piece, so I didn't have to worry about integrity and doing a pre-assemble. But it didn't matter what shim I used, or other tricks that I tired, it was unmoldable. So I had to...*sniff* cut it in half. It was horrible, almost like clubbing baby seals. But now I can mold it.
On a lighter note, I have all of the guns internals glued onto a shim. I wanted to show off these parts that fit into the slide and frame, just to give you guys an idea of how complex the model is.
Da+Guns+003.JPG

These are what make's my guns world go round.
Enjoy and feel free to comment.

Thanks nirvana_katana. I've started work on the M7 smg, but considering some of the confused PM's and e-mails that I recieved, and the allotted time I gave myself is long past expired, I started a new thread for the M7 here at http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28683-Tactonyx-M7-SMG-WIP?p=464048#post464048 This should help so people don't get confused with my work. Thanks for all the comments and support, and make sure to check out my new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back