Hello! Link inside to my intro post and video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrag Shugo

Jr Member
Terrag Shugo's WIP thread.

EDIT- THIS IS MY WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD WITH PICS AND VIDS-

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/11765-Introduce-Yourself/page280

I've read some stickies, watched a few videos, read as much as I can...but I'm missing a little info on how to go about my next step. Any info you can share would be great. I am also including my work in progress of my Carter helmet build with pics.

Thank you.
T.

(edit update)- I have watched and read ..A TON..of vids and threads on this site since I posted this originally. I have a pretty good grasp on what I'm going to do, how to do it and what I'll need. I'll still be relying on the members of this site to chip in once in a while with a little guidance. Thank you again. T.

Hey, I just watched your video. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to get your feet a little wet! After you finish the pep work (which you have), it's off to hardening it with Bondo Fiberglass Resin. Yes, this can cause warpage, so you'll need to take it slow, and in segments. Watch this video and all of the parts that follow, it should give you a sense of what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I just watched your video. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to get your feet a little wet! After you finish the pep work (which you have), it's off to hardening it with Bondo Fiberglass Resin. Yes, this can cause warpage, so you'll need to take it slow, and in segments. Watch this video and all of the parts that follow, it should give you a sense of what to do.

Ahhh awesome vids. Thanks man. This is exactly what I need to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Terrag, be sure to use thin coats on the outside of the helmet with that resin. Do small sections at a time as well. After I had hardened the outside of mine, I then made a larger batch of resin and slushed the inside of my helmet. This hardened it up nice! It took a lot of abuse/pressure from the bondo/sanding phases.

I used normal copy paper to make mine, Im having a hard time finding cardstock around here. So if you used a thick paper and use thin coats, warping shouldnt be an issue.

You will definitely need spare brushes when you use resin btw.

Hey Terrag, be sure to use thin coats on the outside of the helmet with that resin. Do small sections at a time as well. After I had hardened the outside of mine, I then made a larger batch of resin and slushed the inside of my helmet. This hardened it up nice! It took a lot of abuse/pressure from the bondo/sanding phases.

I used normal copy paper to make mine, Im having a hard time finding cardstock around here. So if you used a thick paper and use thin coats, warping shouldnt be an issue.

You will definitely need spare brushes when you use resin btw.

Ahh nice! Thanks for the intell my man. I appreciate it very much. I'm planning on knocking it out this weekend. I'll get some more vids up to show my finished, resin portion of production. Some of the stuff I've seen you guys do on here..is just fantastic.
Arioch, what kind of work/projects have you done?
Thank you again.
T.

Most of the work Ive done has been more along the lines of auto body and misc crap with bondo and fiberglass.

I had been lurking here for almost two years before making my account, lol. The only costuming I have done is a clone trooper helmet mod.

Now I have started my ODST suit, Im putting my visor in today, then electronics and paint before moving toward the chestpiece.

The title is a little misleading, but here is my WIP thread -

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25083-Finally-got-my-cell-vids-converted-odst-helm

I have also made a (small) vac form table and a mother mold for the helmet which was fun, but also a headache. Not that hard though, Im just trying to keep my costs down by only spending 40$ or so on this at a time.

If you do make a mold, I would use something other than latex, it tends to get expensive if you want a thick mold.

BTW, your Fett work is bad ass. Im impressed with it, youre gonna make some great armor bro. Just the paint work you do would be enough to make any flaws virtually invisible lol.

Good luck, and if I hear of you with any problems that I had, Ill let you know how I fixed them, but Im not sure youll need much help once you get used to the new materials.

Pic updates. Me getting ready to add my first coat of resin to the Carter helmet.
DSCN1714.JPG

Lol going to have to get better lighting..and strike more iconic poses.

First coat of resin

DSCN1718.JPG

DSCN1720.JPG

DSCN1721.JPG

What do you think? Am I missing something? I wonder how much I should use, how many coats I should use and if I should do the inside or not...and just go the rondo route on the interior?

wow thats looks sweet man hope to see more im currently peping my self some marine armor hope it turns out well as your is

My latest pep work, the Jun helmet.

My latest pep of the Jun helmet.
DSCN1897.JPG

DSCN1901.JPG

DSCN1898.JPG

I will be putting resin on this guy today, after I build another work bench in the shop. I'll also be doing my first RONDO attempt on the Carter as well.
May the armor gods show mercy and grant me GLORY!! and a good finished product lol.
I'll post vids as well.

/salute
T.

I'm kind of at a stand still. I'm not sure how to proceed with the next phase. Right now I'm at the point where both helmets are Rondo'd in the interior. But I'm not sure if I should make a mold of the outside right now? As per the suggestion of a sculpting material shop owner, or break out the bondo and dremel tool....start cutting down the outside, building up low spots with more bondo, sanding, finishing then begin the mold process?

I'm also rather skeptical about cutting into the outside of my helmet, though the inside is well built up with Rondo, before I have coated the remaining open interior with some Flex-it 3 expanding foam...in order to fully fill the interior?
I have seen Ben Streeper do this, and feel I should follow everything he does step by step, yet I wonder how nessecary it is to fully fill out the interor of the helm before I begin to dremel and refine the exterior detail?

Also..lol....I'll have to look into this, but I'm unsure as to weather or not to use a solid coat of Bondo, or Rondo for the outside...and just how to go about doing that in order to maximize the potential for a more detailed outcome?

Worried.
T.

Nothing to worry about man. Ill help anyway I can.. from way over here. lol

But first! I have to tell you, Im loving your sense of humor! From the Dos Equis reference to my favorite Elmer Fudd episode, awesome, lol.

I jumped into my helmet headfirst and it turned out great, well I think so anyway. If you are making a mold, then other than making sure it is the right size for you, and that Jun helmet for sure is, dont think of it as anything but a tool.

Ill never wear the one I used for a prototype again because it doesnt fit over my head anymore and Im going to keep it to make a new mold if I need to at any point in the future. I made it a very basic ODST bondoed out purposely made with minimal details for personalization of individual castings later.

It was sanded very smooth and came out of the mold with little difficulty. You DO want to make sure that the original is reinforced well - FROM THE INSIDE - because taking the rubber/latex mold off of the helmet will put a lot of stress on it and you do not want it to crack/smash or otherwise become damaged.

I had painted my original and clear coated it. Not sure if this was necessary, but it came out of the mold easy with very little flaking/sticking to the rubber.

Maybe this is the best way to state my theory on this - DO everything to your helmet before making the mold that you do not want to repeat on each casting. If you want a smooth, realistic looking helmet, make it so before making the mold. It will save you tons of work on each successful pull.

I followed BenStreepers vids and they worked great. Im far from an expert on armor making and I did just fine. You seem to have quite some talent for it and it is good to see you worry about the end product, but you are going to do a great job man.

I would use bondo for sure on the outside of the helm and smooth it out so it will come out of the mold easier. Easier to work with than rondo too.

Just keep going at it, I bet you will impress yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back