Progress Build: My IRON MAN helmets (and WAR MACHINE) and armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow!!! your arm looks good!
thanks for the tip - currently, i've done the face plate of war machine (kinda halfway with the eye detail tho...)
and i'm almost done with the left side of the helmet. i'm taking my time and just doing bits everynight. don't think i'll get this done for halloween but i'll get this finished.
oh and i'm not using scissors. i'm using a hobby knife and ruler to cut the lines and score as well. to make sure they're all straight.
i think the faceplate is the hardest to pep as it's got too many details. i'll post a pic of what i've done so far.

I had taken a break from this project for a couple weeks, but I'll be working on it again this week. I bought an iron man halloween mask/helmet that can be bought in a store. Really, I think this may be the route I go with for the helmet for now. It's much less work and the helmet really isn't half bad. This way I can focus on just on the armor for now and then eventually finish the helmet. For those who want a whole suit, but are snagged because of the helmet being the most difficult part should probably go this route. That halloween helmet/mask is a decent piece and a good backup plan.

BTW, I tried to cut the face mask off the halloween mask, and I pretty much trashed it lol. it cut out fine, but I tried some other stuff on it that wasn't such great ideas.

Cant wait to see your finished suit, Iron Man is pretty much my favorite thing ever

Are you planning on finishing the war machine helmet you started? I know it was too small, but exactly how small is too small?

Are you planning on finishing the war machine helmet you started? I know it was too small, but exactly how small is too small?

nah, I think i'm done with the war machine piece. It's not really worth my time. I'm not really sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of just keeping it around to show as an example to whoever see's it so that they know what (not) to do.

I do have an update. Like an idiot, I tried using that "Great Stuff" foam on the shoulder bell. Big mistake. I got the foam that wasn't supposed to expand, but it still expanded a bunch and ruined the shoulder bell (both pieces) LOL. oh well. guess I'll have to make another shoulder.

Also, I epoxied the inside to elbow piece. But this time, I added "CAB-O-SIL" to the epoxy. It's basically just a filler/thickener that is added. I mixed it in the epoxy until I had the epoxy had the consistency of a paste similar to vix vapor rub. I did two thick coats on the elbow piece with NO fiber glass matting on the inside and it came out great! Since it's a paste, it comes out much stronger/thicker and it won't seep through the cracks and drip!

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

btw, that CAB-O-SIL is only $10, so it's definately worth it on time saved from doing less coats and much easier to use when coating the inside. I think i may not even coat the outside with anything other than paint. Sill debating that.

Also, you can add chopped fiberglass fibers to the mixture for more reinforcement. I'm debating doing this. Once this piece fully dries, I'll make a decision on that.

Sounds like you're trying to take some shortcuts and its not working out. I've been tempted myself but I hold back and take my time. I'm working on my first attempt at war machine armor, trying to make it somewhat decent. I'd say hot glue the tabs together, coat the outside with resin, then fiberglass or rondo the inside, sand and bondo the outside, and finally sand, prime, and paint. Patience is all I can suggest.

You are right, i was also thinking so...well, if you complete your war machine armor then let us know about that!

Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to this forum!! :cool
That made me literally LOL..

But anyway, on to contributing.. I dont know how I missed your build from the begining! I really admire how you are trying to find new and effective ways to do things and dont seem too discouraged if something didnt work out! Great ideas with the epoxy resin/cab-o-sil filler. And I'll be honest, Im a little worried about trying out the no tabs and just tape method that worked out beautifully for you, but I'll man up and brave it for the next pep I do.

Great work on the unfolds as well. I'm really liking you build!! Looking forward to seeing more!

wow - even dubean is following your thread! you must be honored!! :$)
anyway - if you don't want your war machine - i'll have it! haha!

That made me literally LOL..

But anyway, on to contributing.. I dont know how I missed your build from the begining! I really admire how you are trying to find new and effective ways to do things and dont seem too discouraged if something didnt work out! Great ideas with the epoxy resin/cab-o-sil filler. And I'll be honest, Im a little worried about trying out the no tabs and just tape method that worked out beautifully for you, but I'll man up and brave it for the next pep I do.

Great work on the unfolds as well. I'm really liking you build!! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! I think I should be making quicker progress now that I've found a good combo that works for me. As for trying new/different approaches, you never know unless you try! I like to document my failures too, so someone can say that it has been tried and it didn't work out and then reference it.

aww you guys are making me blush! :p hahaha

I follow most everything iron man related.. Especially if someone is doing exciting stuff.. and you're doing some great work man, so its exciting to follow!

Question, can the cab-o-sil be sanded and cut? Very interesting product but at $10 for 2oz, it kind of sounds expensive compared to how much resin you get for 14-15 dollars. Ease of use certainly makes it tempting though.

I asked about the war machine helmet simply because i was interested in it... if you weren't going to keep it, or had any real plans for it. I'd love to finish it up. If it REALLY is too small for an adult head (my head is faily small), then i'd give it to my nephew for Halloween or something. He's 5 and loves Iron Man haha.

Also, do you have any more pictures of the arm pieces all together? It looks SO good all assembled, i wanna gawk at some more pictures :)

aww you guys are making me blush! :p hahaha

I follow most everything iron man related.. Especially if someone is doing exciting stuff.. and you're doing some great work man, so its exciting to follow!

Question, can the cab-o-sil be sanded and cut? Very interesting product but at $10 for 2oz, it kind of sounds expensive compared to how much resin you get for 14-15 dollars. Ease of use certainly makes it tempting though.

I asked about the war machine helmet simply because i was interested in it... if you weren't going to keep it, or had any real plans for it. I'd love to finish it up. If it REALLY is too small for an adult head (my head is faily small), then i'd give it to my nephew for Halloween or something. He's 5 and loves Iron Man haha.

Also, do you have any more pictures of the arm pieces all together? It looks SO good all assembled, i wanna gawk at some more pictures :)
It SEEMS expensive for $10 for 2 oz., but the stuff is feather light. I used probably like 2 to 2 1/2 big spoon fulls of the stuff. That container is larger than a quart! I'll post another picture of it soon so that you can get a better reference of how much is really in there. Since it doesn't weigh much of anything, you can't really judge it by it's "2 oz" weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back