Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

Well this is going to be moulded armour but since its based mostly on pep and sculpting I think it belongs here for the time being. Im working with a couple of friends on the reach armour, I was leaning towards a emile build but noble 6 is starting to grow on me. So far I have commisioned a Rundown Reach helm and should have it by mid week ready for bondo and detailing.

This is the pep file I think.

reachhelm.jpg

I have already finished and started moulding the combat knife.

P9050533.jpg

And this morning I sculpted the handplates and moulded them. I based the plates off the lifesize statue and a few reference pics I have from the trailer, They are kinda a mashup of all the teams plates but I think they turned out well.

P9060537.jpg

P9060536.jpg

Now Im off to print a couple of testers for the boots so I can get to working on the main suit while I wait for my helm.

Cheers!

Its made from 1/4" ABS plastic I have since scribed the handle checking on it sanded and polished it to remove all scratches and started the moulding process.

A little update I decided to try out Timecons foam process for this project. I picked up some foam sheets and lots of razor blades I found out this stuff is easy to cut but eats blades like nothing else. same process scaled and printed out the pep sheets then cut them out and trimmed all the tabs off. Then I traced it out on my sheets and cut each section one at a time to make shure it all fit. This is (like Pep) no exactly like it but close, things will not bend or fit quite like they would from cardstock so I had to do some on the fly trimming. and after 3 hours or so this is where we are.

P9080544.jpg

Double for update I spent the day working on the reach chest on and off but made really good progress. I still need to add a few things and start detailing it but I would say overall its 90% complete. I roped my kid into posing as my armor model lol.

P9090548.jpg

P9090547.jpg

And hows this for a nearly complete torso front and back. 1.19 lbs ROFL my left boot wieghs more than that!

P9090549.jpg

Now off to test Paint and sealers!

Cheers!

A little update I decided to try out Timecons foam process for this project. I picked up some foam sheets and lots of razor blades I found out this stuff is easy to cut but eats blades like nothing else. same process scaled and printed out the pep sheets then cut them out and trimmed all the tabs off. Then I traced it out on my sheets and cut each section one at a time to make shure it all fit. This is (like Pep) no exactly like it but close, things will not bend or fit quite like they would from cardstock so I had to do some on the fly trimming. and after 3 hours or so this is where we are.

is there a thread about the foam process, and if so can you please show me where it is? thank you

Ok paint test are done I tested 5 diferent Paints and Acetone to see what the reactions and or durability will be These were tested on the Harbor Frieght floor mats. First I soaked a section in acetone to see if it would eat or melt the foam and as far as I can tell there was no reaction of any kind.

I bent the setions completely double then rubbed them with a shop towel to simulate wear and scraped them with a section of plasticard.

Next I sprayed a section of each side with Plastidip spray black
On the smooth side it soaked in and bonded with the foam without softening it at all on the textured side it did the same. Without damaging the foam there is no way to make it peel or flake.

Results nearly perfect but only available in black and red and fairly expensive @ $7.50 a can.

P9100551.jpg

Next I used rustoleum texture spray in short WORTHLESS by its self but might work over the plastidip and topped with another coat to seal it in.

P9100552.jpg

Next up is valspar spray mettalic silver. Fairly smooth finish on the textured side of the foam and soaked in well on the smooth side, But split as soon as I bent it on the textured side and rubbed off easily on both sides.

Results possibly good for the smooth side as a accent but not in thick coats.

P9100553.jpg

Krylon ultra flat black good smooth finish on each sides very little cracking on the textured side when bent double but wore easily whem scraped.

Results good as a basecoat over a primer of some sort.

P9100554.jpg

Valspar plastic primer. Didnt soak into either side but formed a fairly tough surface for other paints it will crack when bent to extreme angles but didnt wear at all without damaging the foam its self.

Results seems to be a good material to prime large areas with before topcoat but like all paints needs to be a thin coat to reduce splitting.

P9100555.jpg

Finally Krylon fusion gloss black metallic. Soaked in well on the smooth side but not on the texture side easily split on the texture side but bonded well with the foam.

Results a good topcoat for the texture side if you want a shiny finish but will soak in and dull out on the smooth side of the foam.

P9100556.jpg

Hope this helps Cheers!

(EDIT) sorry for the sideways pics They are fine in photobucket but rotated here Wierd!

Thanks a couple of quick shots before I start the final painting and detailing process. Ya know how hard it is to take pics of yourself in a mirror with really bad lighting?

P9100565.jpg

P9100564.jpg

Im starting the arms and belt tonight Ill keep the pics coming.

Cheers!

woah! thats looking real good. i hope that this turns out good. its nice to see some people that are good at their stuff

Thanks guys! I plan on strengthening the back side of everything with fiberglass drywall mesh tape and a coat of shoegoo (old RC car racing trick to keep the bodies together after they start to split) Then paint it all up though Im still debating on a color scheme. I have found a trick to smooth out the hot glue on the seams I warmed up a metal putty knife over the stove and used it to smooth out the hotglue without damaging the foam.

I also finished the cod and the right and left shoulders this morning they just need to be detailed and set up for strapping. Next to the forearms then legs. pics to come tonight.

(EDIT) I think I used Rundowns files for my basis I just changed a few things to suit my tastes and reworked a couple of sizing problems with the scale. Im already making plans to start a second set for myself once this one is finished so I can pass this on to my son for his halloween costume.

Cheers!

oh my god Privateer!
your chest piece is beautiful!!
please teach me how you did the collar part! that's the only bit ive left to do for kat.. my solid collar broke D:
im in a state of shock ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back