Tyrael Build: COMPLETE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyTrojan

* NOTE : This was my first attempt at a resin/fiberglass build.

*WIP thread :

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26102-First-Armor-build-Arch-Angel-Tyrael

pics:

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

In case you were wondering:

1. I used foam sheets or foamies as the base for everything... Interesting to work with, but i'm not 100% sold on the process... Slow to construct and material heavy

2. I'm a pretty big guy so the costume itself is pretty massive, but I can move really well outside of the crowded con floors.

So if you didn't read the WIP page, I Had the idea to make an armored costume around May of this year, but I had absolutely NO idea what i was doing.

Of course after about a month of lurking and learning ( From some real pros if i might add) I wanted to try my hand... Wow... Yeah so my first attempts failed horribly and i had to scrap a breastplate, the shoulder pads, and a collar piece. All of which I worked very hard on, but ended up looking terrible and unsymmetrical. So I had to start over from scratch. Mind you that I had absolutely No pep files ( I did all of it from measurements and eyeballing) and I had very little concept art to go on. Despite this I restarted the entire project on July 1st, hoping to make the deadline of Sept. 2nd for DragonCon. I'm from Atlanta and this was my 2nd year going and I really didn't want to show up without this monstrosity completed.

Well... I finished... barely... sept 2nd I checked into the Sheraton hotel and promptly returned to Dunwoody ( just North of the I-285 bypass... so very close) to finish... after staying up to paint till 4am, my fiance and I called it a night... Friday we returned and worked till 5 pm to finish... Wow i was exhausted, and I didn't really even have the energy to wear the costume at the con all that much. :( But at least I finished! :)

Anyway I just wanted to shoutout to everyone here at the 405th, everyone who has posted video's or tutorials about a construction process or just general tips should take some pride knowing that there are a lot of people out there like me trying to get the basics and complete something they can be proud of as well.

Special Shout-out: Hey so any of you marines out there that got asked if you were part of the 405th at dragon con it was probably me, I remember seeing both your War Machine and
busa helm Ithica... very nice.

Haha... yeah btw Nintendude if you see this... I was the one in the hat plugging the 405th during your panel.

So Whats next?

I know I know, it's not perfect w/o the soul sword and the flowing wings... This is my project for next year, and I have some good ideas of how to do them cheaply now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is absolutely beautiful! ;_;
I've been waiting for SOOOO long for someone to make a Tyrael costume! And you did it splendidly!

dude that is so intense! and awesome! I caught the first few posts of your WIP thread and thought it was going to turn out pretty well, but you blew my expectations away! you did a fantastic job on the "metalizing" of the foamies and the weathering looks great.

OH MY GOD! THERE'S ANOTHER DIABLO FAN ON THE FORUMS AND I DID NOT KNOW!

Do you still play D2? Or did you get the idea from the front page of the D3 site?

I haven't played D2 seriously in a few years, i reinstalled about a year ago and got up to like 40 something and quit.
Tyrael has to be the most badass goody goody character ever, and yeah i originally got the idea to build it after seeing the animated front page for D3. I was intent on building something with armor for dragon con this year... I wanted to do a fallout suit originally, but had no idea how to go about it ( this was before i knew about pep files.)

I really wish i could get this thing to blizz con this year, but being from Atlanta makes it hard.

EPIC i have no idea where its from and no clue what it is but i want one. and thats the basis of all good greed right? ;D

that is one serious suit of armor. cant wait to start on my armor, not that i'm doing this but I hope it looks just as good

that is one serious suit of armor. cant wait to start on my armor, not that i'm doing this but I hope it looks just as good

Indeed... I have to say it was a rough ride for my first armor build, I designed the joints in the legs far to small to have adequate bending and flexing... For instance there is no possible way i could sit down in that thing... I should have made the thigh plates hinged for quick disassembly. But you know... Hind sight and all that. I hate to start over on this project, I feel like a lot of the ground work was good, but so much of it went awry when i had this huge time crunch over my head, so maybe for next year i'll just try to get it comfy and more mobile.... Probably not though... lol. I'll probably start something else more difficult, just to wrack my brain again... haha.

Outstanding build! I saw you walking around Dragon*Con but was unable to ask you questions or complement you on the great build. Can not wait to see your next build.

Outstanding build! I saw you walking around Dragon*Con but was unable to ask you questions or complement you on the great build. Can not wait to see your next build.

Much appreciated, haha I was only on the floor for a few hours on Friday, I'm glad at least someone here saw me :D

Epic build. I am planning on building a Tyrael Suit for the D3 release. I love to metallic look you managed to get out of the foamies. Also the cinematic for Act 3 is my favorite, just because Tyrael is in it lol.

Epic build. I am planning on building a Tyrael Suit for the D3 release. I love to metallic look you managed to get out of the foamies. Also the cinematic for Act 3 is my favorite, just because Tyrael is in it lol.

Thanks for the compliment!

It's actually not foamies that i painted... I just used them as a base for resin and bondo, much like pepakura.

Amazing build! Absolutly FANTASTIC! I can tell you put in a HUGE amount of time and thought into that. Thankyou very much for sharing!

Super Cheers!

Blizzard Cine Loves this

I work with Blizzard Cinematics, if anyone knows how to contact shady let me know, I would love to hook him up with our PR Team. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back