Omega's Halo 3 WIP Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all Fresh member but I've been lurking here long enough to learn a few things

I have my left bicep completed and the right one is being fiberglassed now
Left bicep:
100_5921.jpg

The shiny thing is a radiation emblem the same one I use in matchmaking it's too shiny with the flash

close up on emblem:
100_5928.jpg

still too shiny

Right bicep:
100_5929.jpg

and the outside of it:
100_5930.jpg

If you're wondering what the yellow is I didn't have a pen besides black on hand so I highlighted the valley folds and the penned over it, it actually worked very well

also some pics of a failed helm my pep was flawed and it was low def so once the arms are finished I'll do the HD helm

Left side:
100_5922.jpg

Front:
100_5923.jpg

sorry if you cran your neck

right side:
100_5924.jpg

See those respirator cartridges SAFTEY FIRST!

top:
100_5926.jpg

and back:
100_5925.jpg

Also I etched a 117 in the side which looks almost exactly like the one at the end of H3
Where its scratched on the piece of a pelican with all the other pictures of dead people.
I'll probably do this with the HD helm as well.
100_5931.jpg

This is the helm way back before I painted it just though it looked cool. . .
Otherhelmetfront.jpg

Tell me what you think, and I'll post some pics of the fiberglassed right bicep when it's done.

Also Mud is my new best friend.

Triple post!?!? Someone reply and at least say what you think. Anyhow, began mudding today and should be done with the bicep by tuesday (just in time for Reach) After that I'm either moving to the foreams and the then hand pieces or going to making an HD helmet.

I'm kinda thinking of going with the foreams to get some more Pepping and glassing practice first.

But what's an update without Pics!
only two but thats enough for now>

The underarm:
100_5941.jpg

And the bicep muscle cover (has not been sanded yet)
100_5943.jpg

Also school is kicking more into gear this week so My updates will slow down a bit.

Till then,
Omega

I couldnt help but notice you dont resin the piece before fiberglassing. owo You also dont seem to be using the support. Might make for some issues. >.<

Agreed. You may want to check out BenStreeper's videos on how to a resin a helm. Doing the resin on the outside first gives you the support to strengthen the inside with Rondo or glass without the risk of serious warpage that can occur otherwise.

Mhhhmm I haven't had any trouble yet but I see where you're coming from I'll have to start doing that, what I used on the biceps was spray paint cans to hold the shape while the glass dried which might not work as well on some other parts.

Also What supports are you talking about I've seen some people using struts that look like they came from pep but I haven't seen any for my files.

And thanks for the advice Black Hatter and Becks

I'll edit this once I get some more mudding done, school first though.

Your arm pieces are looking great. :) I agree with Black Hatter and Becks though, resining the exterior really makes a difference. I have only resined and fiber glassed a couple of items, but I can tell it would more than likely warp otherwise. (paper is super absorbent :) ) Anyway, you can make your own struts if you just just measure the span where you plan to place one, then cut it out of card stock paper. Then fold the paper and glue it to make a triangle when looked at from one end or the other, and leave tabs on the end to glue to your project.

I feel that it is more important to build something that makes you happy and don't worry about messing up too much. Sometimes a little mistake or two adds personality to a project. Anyway, hope this helps and I look forward to see more. :)

Thanks that's really encouraging!

To avoid warping all I'd done so far was to coat it with a sealant which prevents the cardstock from getting soggy,
also thanks for the tips on the struts I'll try that on the bigger pieces.

Anyways since I've already posted again...
Update! mudding is complete I need to do some more sanding and then I'm ready for a coat of primer!!!
100_5949.jpg

100_5947.jpg

100_5945.jpg

It should be painted by tomorrow or wed depending on how much I play Reach, I pre-ordered it by mail so it won't be here till 4-ish so there's some time to work on it
I'm going to try using toothpaste for a scratched look as suggested by cjsuner in the painting help thread

Any tips for that? if not, wish me luck.

Awesome. What do mean by toothpaste for a scratched look? What I'm going to do is spray the whole piece chrome, then when that dries, apply petroleum jelly to places where I want the paint to be "scratched" away, then paint. Once dry, remove the paint over the jelly and highlight with sandpaper. I can't recall the guys name right now, but he did that and the results were amazing. I would always just use sandpaper to make things look weathered, never though about the jelly thing though.

I pre-ordered Reach as well. I'm not going to be doing anything for about 2 weeks lol. "Leave me alone! I'm playing Reach!!" :)

Update!

So, right bicep, done and the left forearm is glassed!

Picture time!

Front of bicep (I burned it so it looks like plasma damage)
100_5966.jpg

also on the side
100_5964.jpg

The back had the clamps stick to it so I may put some more paint on it, tell me how you think it looks. . .
100_5967.jpg

And now the forearm

on the inside
100_5968.jpg

The top
100_5969.jpg

And the sides
100_5970.jpg

100_5971.jpg

I'm hoping to have chest up done by halo-ween next update will be mudded forearm and possibly pepped other forearm, after that I'm moving to the HD helm, to the chest, and then to the hand-pieces if I have time.

The
man
with
the
plan

Omega

(I don't even know why I wrote that. . .)

Mini update the helm is pepped and the resin is drying.

Here's a pic to whet your appetite for once it gets glassed.
IMG_3093.jpg

Glassing should be done in the next few days, then I'll pick up some more bondo and do some mudding.

Till then,

Omega

This sounds so evil :D, especially if you used a plasma beam to glass it

Lol

Aight then Update I've begun mudding the outside to smooth and detail

Here's some pics:
IMG_3184.jpg

^ I had a bit of warping on the sunshade. . . thing but other than that it looks good so I'm very excited with my progress!
IMG_3183.jpg

^ The black on it is a layer of primer I put on when I dripped some mud and hand smoothed it (I wanted to see if it was smooth enough to just do that, it wasn't so don't try it.)

Also if you'll take a moment to notice where the air pipe is supposed to go, I'm planning on putting some actual tubing and a place to actually vent air underneath if you have any tubing to recommend Gimme a holla!

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

BTW the lines between the different "casts" of mud will be sanded and finished with bondo.

Hopefull I'll have the helm and the arms done by Halo-ween I plan on wearing a shirt with a sharpie written on saying something along these lines

Three containers of Resin: 80.00$

Three tubs of Bondo: 43.00$

Fiberglass: 25.00$

Ream of cardstock: 12.00$

Seeing youre face when you look at the coolest halloween costume ever,

Priceless.

Mk Vi by omega (Now with more taco!)

Helmet is (almost) good to go!

Everything but the air vents are in.

I put lights in and forgot to turn them on for the photos I'll have some later.

Front:

IMG_3226.jpg

U like stripe no?
IMG_3227.jpg

We've taken a hit!
IMG_3228.jpg

Visibility, the camera does you no justice pictures notwithstanding you can see really well!
IMG_3229.jpg

My pad job
IMG_3230.jpg

And finally a test fit
IMG_3231.jpg

(Like the jacket?)

Not too much else to report Lights mounted in the biceps and the forearms are coming along nicely.

Till next time,

Omega

Oh yeah and I don't know it any of you carve pumpkins but here's mine:
Sith.jpg

"Not from a Jedi"

Unfortunately I didn't buy it, it was laying around in the shed and I said, MINE!
(after asking nicely)

I think it is packing foam similar to this <----LINK
(5 second google search FTW!)

Thanks for stopping by.

Alright the pieces I've built are all mostly done

My vents on the helm (needs some more paint)
IMG_3235.jpg

Oooooh shiny
IMG_3236.jpg

Biceps (one got shot a little can you spot the difference)
IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

my forearm is rubbing on the bicep and scratching it is there some way to prevent this?
anyone know what to do. . .
IMG_3240.jpg

My chest will not be started for a bit with both the weather getting colder and school kicking waaaaay into gear this is about it till spring rolls around and the snow melts
(not that we have any yet)

Ch'yeah!

Most of the shine is from the camera actually that and the paint in most of those pictures is pretty fresh
(though it is still a little on the shiny side my next project will be less shiny, but for this suit Bold and shiny it is)

Edit: it seems as though the post above was deleted. . . oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back