Gundam Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
i h8ed gundam wing, but loved gundam seed, and gundam seed destiny..... thats the only Gundams i watched, i don't like the old ones because of the captain kirk style voice acting

i h8ed gundam wing, but loved gundam seed, and gundam seed destiny..... thats the only Gundams i watched, i don't like the old ones because of the captain kirk style voice acting
How can you like Destiny?

For that matter, how can you not like the iconic UC stories? The voice acting isn't, even, Captain, Kirk, at... All. Gundam was really what broke Ocean away from their poor DBZ dub and made them the great voicework studio they are today.

Gundam Wing is the one I liked the most, it didn't delve too deeply into any sappy romance stuff, whereas that was kind of the only focus in Seed & Seed Destiny. I haven't seen the other series, but so far I really like the Wing Gundams, they all were within the suspension of disbelief, not "oh look, this one has 15 laser cannons that can all track and shoot down missles!" or "This one is like a lego, just mix and match which ever parts you want!". I also preferred Wing because they were a lot more honor bound, not deceitful, like practically everyone in Seed was. Both were good and I enjoyed watching them, but Wing is King in my opinion. Also, Tallgeese ftw =D

I hated Wing because it was based around an emo teenager piloting a state-of-the-art machine that later gets a beam rifle capable of leveling an entire space colony in one shot. Talk about losing your suspension of disbelief. I mean, at least SEED had the decency to create a new Newtype for the series, and explain that x worked because of y and you had to be the series' newtype to use it.

And Heero's first line to Mileena (-blam!- was that her name?) is "I'll kill you." That's um... Yeah. Honor, and all that. RIGHT.

For that matter, who lied to anybody in SEED? It was like "Yeah, I'm gonna do some bad things" or "I want to fight for my friends". SEED was sappy and spent too much time talking and crying instead of dealing with loss and fighting. (Which is why 0079 still wins for me) Destiny was just bad. 00 was like the worst of Wing and the worst of Destiny, with the only-has-beam-weapons thing.

I say you can't get better than UC. Zeta is the best Gundam ever, followed by 08th MS, 0079, and Gundam X. Gundam X does NOT get enough credit.

I hated Wing because it was based around an emo teenager piloting a state-of-the-art machine that later gets a beam rifle capable of leveling an entire space colony in one shot. Talk about losing your suspension of disbelief. I mean, at least SEED had the decency to create a new Newtype for the series, and explain that x worked because of y and you had to be the series' newtype to use it.

And Heero's first line to Mileena (-blam!- was that her name?) is "I'll kill you." That's um... Yeah. Honor, and all that. RIGHT.

For that matter, who lied to anybody in SEED? It was like "Yeah, I'm gonna do some bad things" or "I want to fight for my friends". SEED was sappy and spent too much time talking and crying instead of dealing with loss and fighting. (Which is why 0079 still wins for me) Destiny was just bad. 00 was like the worst of Wing and the worst of Destiny, with the only-has-beam-weapons thing.

I say you can't get better than UC. Zeta is the best Gundam ever, followed by 08th MS, 0079, and Gundam X. Gundam X does NOT get enough credit.
I personally loved Wing for the reasons that you stated. But because of the different viewpoints of it. and I loved 00

Well for starters, the pilots in Wing were trained heavily, it wasn't just like "Hey kid, take this thing and blow sh*t up!" And didn't Kira (sp?) blow up his home colony with one shot from the gundam he started piloting? Plus, in Wing you didn't have a nonstop onslaught of doomsday devices like a huge nuclear attack, GENESIS and Requiem, in Wing it was just mobile suits and the occasional gigantic space ship.

By honor bound I meant like Treiz and Colonel Zex, Wufei and Qatra (sp?) In Seed, the deceit is like their "allies" who try to take the ArchAngel, the shady but not obvious intent of Chairman Durandel, stuff like that. I really loved the designs of the Wing gundams. The Tallgeese was by far my favorite, it had a very minimalist look to it. I also liked the insane firepower of Heavy Arms, and the dragon shield on Nataku (Wufei's) was badass.

It was cool they went a bit more in depth with some of the technical stuff in Seed, but honestly, a neutron jammer?

I haven't seen UC, Zeta, Unicorn, 08th MS, 0079 or Gundam X, but I plan on watching them while I finish the rest of my pep, and until then, I'll stick with my Wing/Seed opinions ^_^

~Jake

The nukes and Genesis were at the very end, man, and they were the only doomsday devices. And, no, it was blown up because of continued fighting, including a burst from a ship-mounted anti-fortress cannon.

Don't put Destiny in SEED. No one is defending Destiny.

And, to be frank, the "deceit" from the Eurasian Federation people is one event in a 50-episode series, and fairly accurate politics, considering The EF is basically the Soviets to the Atlantic Federation, and their NATO. Of course they'd try something like that. It shows the multi-faceted side of war and the fact that it's not black and white, good and bad. In Wing, we have, what, 5 guys being terrorists and blowing **** up? Trying to stop war by initiating one?

You need a plot device. The N-Jammer kept things level across the board and gave a reason for mobile suits to run out of power, as opposed to the nuclear drives of all previous Gundam series. It also created the Minovsky Effect for the series, and explains why there are no nukes until the end.

Anyway, I really suggest you watch 0079 with the mindset of having no prior knowledge of Gundam, especially that of Wing, in mind. It won't live up to the expectations a Wingnut will have, but it will surpass those of a general fan of good storywriting in animation.

The tech in Seed was cool, the various warships, mobile armors and gundams were all pretty awesome, just I didn't care for the whole emotionally tormented hero. I'm not saying it was a bad show, just that I preferred Wing.

Emotionally tormented- What do you think Heero is? Hell, his name's even Hero! He's some teenager who plays the protag, and he's so emotionally scarred and tormented from whatever they did to him to make him supersoldier #1, he's a practically-laconic guy whose most famous line is a toss-up between "I'll kill you" and- wait, does he HAVE any other lines?

This is why I like UC. The characters are all tormented by the loss of their loved ones, but they press on, choking back their tears and holding on to what's left.They fight for each other, not some silly concept like ending all wars.

Emotionally tormented- What do you think Heero is? Hell, his name's even Hero! He's some teenager who plays the protag, and he's so emotionally scarred and tormented from whatever they did to him to make him supersoldier #1, he's a practically-laconic guy whose most famous line is a toss-up between "I'll kill you" and- wait, does he HAVE any other lines?

This is why I like UC. The characters are all tormented by the loss of their loved ones, but they press on, choking back their tears and holding on to what's left.They fight for each other, not some silly concept like ending all wars.
I think you missed the point of Wing.

Heero was like that because he was still a kid, and he had to be like that when killing at the others. The pilots were swirling in the concepts of ending all wars because they're kids. Kids in superweapons killing hundreds of people. So they believe they can really change something with the power they have.

And that's another thing that just cuts my suspension of disbelief. They're kids. Kids fighting a war.

I mean, at least Amuro was swept into it by necessity, and was already 17 or 18 at the time.

I think that's why they have made so many different story lines and alternate universes for Gundam. There is a flavor for everyone to enjoy.

With the exception of Destiny, X, and 00, there's at least some validity lended to the reason the kid ends up in the cockpit. (Alternatively, the character is in his twenties, a la Shiro) He saw his father's machine and tried to use it to protect his friends, or an officer on the team for the unit pushes him into the cockpit to try and safeguard it, and the kid, and he unwittingly wrote the motion algorithm for it, in his college class. I mean, anything better than "This kid was conscripted and trained by our terrorist organization to blow **** up in a prototype war machine that's worth more than your life".

With the exception of Destiny, X, and 00, there's at least some validity lended to the reason the kid ends up in the cockpit. (Alternatively, the character is in his twenties, a la Shiro) He saw his father's machine and tried to use it to protect his friends, or an officer on the team for the unit pushes him into the cockpit to try and safeguard it, and the kid, and he unwittingly wrote the motion algorithm for it, in his college class. I mean, anything better than "This kid was conscripted and trained by our terrorist organization to blow **** up in a prototype war machine that's worth more than your life".

I beg to differ, I think a 10+ year span of dedicated training to use the super powered war machine is a load more viable than just this genetically enhanced smart kid who is a decent programmer, who jumps into the cockpit of a machine he's never seen before, rewrites the OS on the fly (albeit that came later), and is able to best (or make retreat) several highly trained genetically enhanced soldiers. Granted they were roughly the same age as his, but they had training, he didn't.

Again, Wing to Seed. I'm not saying that Seed was bad; I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Side note, kids fighting a war is unrealistic? Back in WWII, you had kids aged 15+ lying about their age to go and fight (my grandfather was one of them). I don't find it that far fetched that a circumstance arose, and they could help and did so.

Training someone from age 7 is my biggest qualm with Halo.

And, to be fair, it was a far superior machine with more advanced computers controlling the bulk of its operation, and he *did* write its movement algorithm, working at the Morgenroete Institute. And I wouldn't say "decent" programmer. If he was working for a military weapons contractor, writing their software, I'd say he was an excellent programmer.

You know, at least those 15-year-olds could pass for small 18-year-olds, and were fighting in a time where it wasn't easy to verify someone's age. By the point in time all Gundam series happen, I would hope they can verify someone's age, considering they can mass-produce giant robots.

Still, Shiro falls into my favorite protagonist, because he's 24, went to college and officer's school, and has been trained by the Federation military to pilot their new mobile suit line.

I would certainly rock a Gundam satisfy if we experienced the models.
The kits have been an obsession of mine until I began pepping armor. I even now should get Astray red-colored Fram PG end result in I at current possess the obvious customized components for it.
However, Wing Zero customized is even now the baddest looking of them all. I cant wait around to ascertain what PG they discharge this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back