Thom's ODST Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all and welcome to my first attempt at resin and rondo. I am attempting to create a Rookie helmet, and like I said, this is my first attempt at this so all advice and opinions are welcome. The pep file that I used is an awesome Rookie helmet modeled by Rundown. I already have it pepped out, and plan on getting to the rondo in a couple of days.

Here are a couple of pics that I took once I finished pepping it. Let me know what you guys think. :)

091110155726.jpg

091110155745.jpg

Once again, all comments are welcome, even the negative ones. There is only one way to learn and that is to jump in a do it. Thanks.

Thank you guys for all the support. I plan on doing some slush casting with rondo tonight, and I should have pics up tonight or early tomorrow. I learned from watching Mr. Ben Streeper's tutorial on it, that the ratio of body filler to resin is pretty heavy. Any last minute words of advice? :)

As long as you mix around 3-4 times the amount of body filler to resin it's pretty difficult to mess up the rondo process :)

I suggest putting 3-4 more light coats of resin on the outside of your helm after you rondo it. Then do some medium/heavy sanding over the helm (even through paper if you need to) then a quick spray of primer+wet sand to see what you need as far as Bondo work goes. Don't go crazy with bondo and cake that stuff on, the helmet has sharp edges and corners on it, since you pepped it you might as well retain them.

On my odst helm I only used a very VERY small amount of body filler on the dome and lower back of the neck area. I realized I could just apply resin and sand off the cardstock fold lines.

Thank you very much Hugh, I will keep that in mind when I am refining it with the body filler. That is some damn good advice sir. :)

Ok, I did the rondo work last night and I am fairly pleased with the outcome. There are a couple of place I will certainly have to use some body filler, but no nearly as much as I first thought. I think I will have to add some more rondo inside around the lower brim, because it is a bit top heavy. If anyone knows of a better way to shift the weight towards to bottom area of the helmet, I am all ears. :)

Anyway, here is my resined and rondo'd helmet. Let me know what you think. Thanks :)

091210213731.jpg

091210213757.jpg

091210213812.jpg

091210213822.jpg

I have to say, that's some incredibly clean pep work. Its hard to tell in your most recent pic if you experienced some warping in the edges/details of the helmet after your rondo work, but it looks great.

I have to say, that's some incredibly clean pep work. Its hard to tell in your most recent pic if you experienced some warping in the edges/details of the helmet after your rondo work, but it looks great.

Thank you. The only warping I noticed after it cured was along the under lip, as shown in the last pic posted. I was going to trim most of that away anyhow, especially in the back, as the helmet is a little difficult to put on now. (almost tears my ears off lol )

It may be a couple of days before I work some more on it, but I may started pepping out a weapon or some armor tonight, so hopefully you guys will keep checking back and helping me with all the support and awesome advice. Thanks again. :)

Ok, small update, since I decided to take a break from Reach to give my Xbox a break lol. All I have done now is added some more rondo to the lower interior of the helmet to fix the top heaviness, and applied another layer of resin to the exterior. I didn't feel the need to post any pics, as the helmet looks the same as it did in the last few. :) I will have more pics soon, as I am about ready to begin the sanding phase. Stay tuned.

Hey T Dawg helmet is looking great. I can't wait too get started on my armor to get caught up with you. Looking foward to seeing the helmet painted. Keep up the good work bro.

Nice work. Personally on my build i pep the entire suit first then resin then bondo ect. but sometimes just getting a helmet done is a good idea too :)

Thanks all for the encouraging words. Unfortunately it has been around 60 degrees here where I live, so not ideal for resin. It is warming up again, so hopefully I will be able to post some more pics soon. I printed out an ODST shoulder piece, but it was too big, so I will have to start over with that one. Right now I am putting together a list of things I can use to make the M319 Grenade Launcher from Reach. I think it will go well with the CQC armor. I have an airsoft shotgun that I am going to use as a base and build from there.

OK, time for an update. I think I will have to move my things indoors now. The weather in Oklahoma is crazy, 80 degrees one day, 50 the next lol. Anyway, I found a good day and I resined a grenade I had pepped for my M319 launcher, so here are some pics of that.

I'm not sure who to credit this file to.
093010163449.jpg

I decided to fill the interior of the grenade with rondo, to both reinforce it, and give it some weight. I know there are a couple of air bubble craters, but I wasn't concerned with air bubbles, since the inside won't be seen when complete. :)

093010212232.jpg

I don't know if anyone's looked yet, but I ran a short game of Reach and opened it in Theater. This is what I sketched up of what the actual grenade round looks like, and what I believe the dimensions would be, assuming Noble Six's hand is about the same size as mine lol. I would have taken a screen cap, but I'm not quite sure how to.

100110203300.jpg

I am working on a 3d model in 3D S Max, but it is slow going as I am not very experienced with the program yet. If anyone would like a more detailed drawing, I would be happy to make one.

OK, sorry for the lack of updates, been pretty busy. Anyway, I have cut out the visor portion of the helmet and added some primer. I will continue sanding and start adding the body filler tonight. I hope to have more pics soon. As always, any and all comments welcome and appreciated.

101310154924.jpg

101310154904.jpg

101310154846.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back