"Help!" for: Armor Mounting / Costume Assembling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that did help. I just found the pepakura files for the armor I'm looking to build Halo 4 MkVII armor. And if I build it the way I want to, will I have to install cooling fans? I've thought about it before, and now that I'm moving forward with the project, I think I may have to devise a clever way to keep the armor cool.(I live in Nevada, where it gets crazy hot in the summer) Also, If I do put in cooling fans, would I be able to tie them into a power source along with lights in the helmet? I've thought about this as well, and I believe it would be hard to do, and I may have to power the two seperately, with the lights in the helmet being run by a separate power source within the helmet.

I would recommend having cooling fans, regardless of where you're at. They help defog the visor as well. You would be able to tie them into a single power source, as I've seen people use male/female connectors (like 9v power adapter ends) to attach the current to other pieces of their suit. That should be able to work, if you run the cable up your neck under your suit and into the helmet.

Also, if you work with metal, be careful about shorts. I'd hate to see a piece of armor ruined by a exploded battery or other phenomena.

Rerebrace and shoulder are two pieces that form one piece. They are assembled in this manner:

ymute5yv.jpg

The rerebrace just makes it easier to make permutations on the shoulder, because shoulders like EVA and CQB replace the standard shoulder piece.

I hope this answers your question!

yes it is helpful, but it creates another question....what is the frontbrace for then??

Magnets in general can mess up wired and wireless devices but it has to be a pretty strong magnet to do that. An Electro-Magnet is what would really screw with your stuff and other peoples stuff. Overall neodymium magnets should work just fine if you can look around and test different magnetic strengths until you find the one you like best. Just don't get them near your phone or wallet.

Ok: so I have most of my armor built. Chief ver VI (first time builder.) And I'm curious: can you use green foam on the inside of your parts to make them snug against your body? Also another question... If I use straps and velco with openings I made... That will be ok when I adjust when loosing weight. Right?

Hey all!
I've seen this question grazed a couple times in my searches but never really delved into in any detail, so i apologize if this is posted elsewhere already...

What has everyone found to be the best way to attach pep/glassed armor to boots? My main concern is keeping the toe in place without it bouncing around with every step, and I don't think strapping and buckles along the side of the boot would look that great. Strapping under the boot seems like it would put too much stress on the armor with the foot bending and flexing...
If i'm crazy or overthinking this and it's easier than it sounds, please say so lol.

P.S. these forums and it's members are so helpful and awesome!

Hey all!
I've seen this question grazed a couple times in my searches but never really delved into in any detail, so i apologize if this is posted elsewhere already...

What has everyone found to be the best way to attach pep/glassed armor to boots? My main concern is keeping the toe in place without it bouncing around with every step, and I don't think strapping and buckles along the side of the boot would look that great. Strapping under the boot seems like it would put too much stress on the armor with the foot bending and flexing...
If i'm crazy or overthinking this and it's easier than it sounds, please say so lol.

P.S. these forums and it's members are so helpful and awesome!
Well it depends on what variant of armor you are building. Halo 3 Mark VI? Halo 4 Mark VI? Reach? The way the boots can be built may depend on the armor you are building. I'm not even sure if there is a "best way" to attach the fiberglassed part to your boots/shoes but I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Here's how I did mine: I decided to follow Carpathia's idea of creating an outer shell for wearable footwear. You can find his whole post about his boots here on post #139. Basically he built his outer shell with the soles being made out of foam and attached the fiberglassed pieces to the foam. His wearable boots are strapped into the outer shell with a custom shoe harness so nothing moves. Having done all of this myself, I can attest that it works as long as the harness is nice and secure. The fiberglassed pieces haven't broke on me yet and I ran in them :). The flexibility of the foam sole will prevent the fiberglassed pieces from breaking. Although he used regular strapping for the toe end, I ended up using elastic strapping.

Thanks for the link and input Frozen, really helpful stuff.
I'm working on Halo 4 Mk.VI w/ soldier helmet.
Once i saw the EVA sole with the strapping it's like the lightbulb switched on lol.

I personally have not finished a full suit of armor yet, but as my experience in building I recommend trying some different grains of sandpaper to "rough up" your desired section. This will be a trial-and-error type work but I hope you can get your roughed up armor! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back