How to Rescale Pepakura models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jico

Hello 405th. I have seen that we got alot of new members here:) So I thought that I should put some tutorials up on pepakura^_^

I first tryed to find the offical scaleing tread, but with no luck. So I figured that ill make a tutorial myself.

So lets start;)

Pepakura Designer

Pepakura Designer is the program we use to unfold our 3d models so they can be printed and assembled.

For this tutorial you will need it to rescale models already unfolded. You can get it here

help1s.png

After you have downloaded and installed it, open it.

First off you will see that you have alot more tools in designer compered to the viewer:

help4t.png

Now you would have to open the file you are editing. Im going to use ROBOGENESIS Mark VI Chest as an example:

help6.png

Now when that is done, you go to the 2D menu tab:

help7.png

Now go to "Change Scale"

help8.png

And then "Scale Factor"

Now this window will pop up:

help9.png

The size is measured in millimeters. So you will need to measure your chest (or the part of the body the file would fit to, like a boot or a shin).

After this you hit "Ok".

Now you will see that the parts have been scaled down. But then you face a little problem. The parts have come out of its original place and would not fit the paper.

help10.png

You can easely fix this by clicking the little mouse with a red box around it:

helpw.png

After this you select all the parts and drag them to the side or up:

help11.png

Now you can just put the parts back where they should be;)

help12.png

Hope this tutorial helps!:) If you got any questions, just leave a reply^_^

Thanks for your time!

Jico

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a great tutorial! Although I have one particular question. A lot of people like me may understand the process of scaling (from tutorials as wonderful as yours) but have no idea what they should be measuring! I.E. Should I measure AROUND my chest? Or should I measure from say the bottom of my neck to my bottom rib or so? Same goes for the other body parts, I know that different models come out in different ways but is there any general idea you should have when measuring besides printing and crossing your fingers? T

hanks in advance! = D

basically you should get a picture of the person u are making the model for and measure their hight (standing straight if possible) eg: pic = 23 cm tall. them measure your hight, eg: 170cm. divide your hight by the pictures eg: 170 / 23 = 7.391 cm. so ur scale is then 7.391:1.

when u scale the parts measure the part on the picture, then multiply it by the scale or 7.391. eg: chest of 7cm tall in the picture. 7 x 7.391 gives you 51.737 cm.

type this into the scale modifier and it will change the other dimensions to the same scale. u may need to add a few extra centimeters to allow for padding. but not a whole lot

i hope this is right. im pretty sure thats how i did it to get the right scale for my helm. plz dont rage me if its wrong

After 2 hours of searching for a good scaling tutorial for pepakura 3 I finally found THIS. Thanks so much! This is a very visual tutorial and helps someone like me a great deal. I now know what exactly I need to do to start scaling my armor.

After 2 hours of searching for a good scaling tutorial for pepakura 3 I finally found THIS. Thanks so much! This is a very visual tutorial and helps someone like me a great deal. I now know what exactly I need to do to start scaling my armor.

No problem:) I will be makeing a pepakura assembely tutorial in the near future covering all the tricks I have picked up over my time here^_^

Thank you for clarifying scaling. Very nice Tute. I have one question tho. With Squirel's mk6 helm, the pages that are on the backdrop that the pieces are setting on are setting sideways instead of vertical, i corrected the scale but it seems that they still wont print correctly. Any advice on how to fix this?

Please disregard my last post, as i am a complete moron and didnt realize there were 2 differant tabs for the printer set up. Sorry for that fellas

After we rescale, most/some pieces won't fit the pages anymore even if we try to make them fit. How do we going about it?? Need help cause this is the first "actual" suit I am making....

After we rescale, most/some pieces won't fit the pages anymore even if we try to make them fit. How do we going about it?? Need help cause this is the first "actual" suit I am making....

Sorry. I forgot to mention that if you scale the pep up, the parts would not fit their original place on the pages and would have to be re-arranged. I would recommend to buy a password for pepakura designer so that you can save your work preventing that all the work you have done would not dissapear every time you close pepakura designer.

just one question do u have to the the designer or can u use the viewer
i can tell that you are new here.
next time, before you repond to a thread - check the date of the last post!
if it's more than a couple of months old, it's considered "necro-posting" and is considered bad by both members and mods alike

if you want help on a topic like this look in the "Help: ____" stickied threads at the top of the Noob Forum

anyway - welcome to 405th
hope to see you building your own projects soon
CJ

LV Bags in food stamps and other Louis Vuitton Handbagsa better job of counting Coach Outlet Storeand mostly overlooked role
Chanel Purseshalf of the reported rise Coach Factory Storemeasures have also shown less
Coach Factory Outletpeople in abject destitutionChanel Bagranks of the near poorCoach Factory Outletmore in cities and suburbsChanel Pursesoverlooked role in restraininga better job of countinga better job of countingCoach Factory Storethat may start to change

Um.....>.> *sigh* Admins, a little help here?

This might be a silly question, and I'm relatively sure I know the answer, but after rescaling the file, does it matter where you put each of the pieces? I don't think it should, but I'm not sure if this messes with any of the structural components or if it changes the assembly instructions at all.

The reason I ask is because I might have to move pieces that no longer fit on the same page together, and I didn't know if the instructions were automated.

I would assume that it wouldn't, but I'm currently working on my first pep, about to print and wanted to check before wasting too much ink.

Thanks for any insight on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back