Movie Quality Jorge Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid Squires

Jr Member
So, was building Gears of War armor, I will one day finish it, along with my ODST helmet and Battle Rifle, but then along came reach, and with it Jorge. I've started to sketch out his armor components and do a detailed breakdown and planning. So far I've got a breakdown sheet of his boots and forearms and how I'll be making them, what I'll be making them of and so on and so fourth. I'll post a few sketches next week and possibly a rough carving of his forearm armor if I can get to it tomorrow. Just thought I'd get this rolling or I'd do all the work and not post anything, as I've been known to do.

Small correction. Work/Life/New House is keeping me from doing anything other than sketching things and buying supplies at the moment. I'll get to begin fabrication work Next Sunday as we have a 9 day hiatus from the show. Woo. On a side note I've come to a conclusion on how to make the boots so you can run in them without worry of them falling apart or cracking on pavement.

Sooooo, here is the start of the bracer. From sketch to first coats of resin. From here i"ll be taking a mold with alginate to make a solid fibreglass copy so I can sand and machine it more. The metal strappings will be added onto that version and from there a silicone mold will be taken and this part will be made in plastic. Woo. As I'm out of plaster bandages for the alginate mold I just started carving out the boot parts as I cannot go further with the bracer until then.

IMG00072.jpg
IMG00073.jpg
IMG00076.jpg
IMG00082.jpg
IMG00087.jpg
IMG00093.jpg

I was quietly hoping you'd progress to the physical product. Like the sculpt so far! Jorge's armor attachments are such a strange thing. I'm still playing with mine as if to physically strap them to the forearm or have them attached physically. But looking great dude, can't wait to see more :)

Looking great so far.
I'm interested to see where things progress form here.
I'm especially keen on seeing how you do the boots.

Just quickly, I started the boot sculpt yesterday. Making them more movement friendly i half sculpt and half materials its made of. The Key, Don't make it in Fiberglass or plastic! When its ready the two halves will be made in a Dense rubber, kinda like your windshield wipers. And it wont be a shell over a boot, the boot will be in cased in the rubber with a sole and everything. The hardest part of this is making a rubber based paint that can be passed through my paint gun without clogging the damn thing.
IMG00095.jpg
IMG00096.jpg
IMG00097.jpg
IMG00098.jpg

That foam, that wonderful cheap, easy to carve and sculpt foam is floral foam. Buy it in bulk and its like 5 bucks for 6 bricks, glue it to the desired size with carpenters glue (its sandable) and carve away. I use the same tools I sculpt clay with to cut and carve in fine details.

That foam, that wonderful cheap, easy to carve and sculpt foam is floral foam.

Using that kind of foam is a great idea :)
Where did you buy it? I've never seen anybody sell it, at least not without something flowery stuck inside. And not in sizes this large.

My last post wouldn't edit.
But Floral Foam? wow. ok so how will you be able to wear it? I know that stuff can be brittle with age too.
Are you using that as your mold.?

Using that kind of foam is a great idea :)
Where did you buy it? I've never seen anybody sell it, at least not without something flowery stuck inside. And not in sizes this large.

you can usually find it at craft stores, like in the USA, Jo-aans, Michels....

The also carry it at walmart in the crafts/fake flowering section. I've used it a ton over the years. Great stuff to sculpt with!

@Squid_Squires: Your sculpts are looking great, Can't wait to see more! I share your pain with the clogging based paint :angry
Keep up the good work!

-Tim

Around here its cheapest at Micheal's Crafts, Walmart is backup. Size wise i just glue the smaller bricks together. The foam gets thrown out after its resined twice (bracer pics) I make a throw away mold and make a solid fiberglass copy to machine and smooth out, add small details to before making a master mold. The suit will be entirely molded and cast in Fibreglass, plastic or rubber when its all done. I really want to start sculpting the helmet but I cant until I find two decent visors, I'm looking for curved ones in gold mirror if anyone can recommend a place online. Also, hopefully tomorrow i'll be molding the bracer so I can get it closer to being finished. Then back to the boots and starting to sculpt the gauntlets.

Well, I haven't seen them at our local craft store, they're probably where the artificial flowers are, and that's usually not where I am... ;-)
Maybe I'll have a look next time I'm there.

I know that you glue them together, but the size of one brick is still larger than what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back