Spartan 3 Reach Shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

swisherteets

Jr Member
I was working on my master chief build when Reach came out and now I have put that on hold to start a Noble 6 build. However some of the files out there just werent up my ally. So I have started to model out the shoulder.
Its real down and dirty and the reference pics i used werent perfect but I wanted to get everyones thoughts.
It is still a WIP

Also is there anyone out there who can convert an IGES or step file into an .obj and or unfold this?

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

I can convert an IGES to obj and unfold it for you. Send me a PM or email through the forum.

I will definately get you the file once its finished.

I still got a lot of work to do. I also think it will require some work in pepekura too in order for it to unfoldable and workable.

As far as proportions I tried to keep it as close to the game as possible but I know its out in a few spots so its not as "canon" as I would like it to be but I am trying to keep it fairly simple so its easy to build.

I am an Aerospace engineer and 3d model work is my life but simplifying a model into essential polygons only for pepping and staying as close to the original is a lot more difficult than i expected lol

Thanks for the reference pics Dystorted. I have seen those and the chest piece I am looking at modeling it very similar to that with the undersuit and all just like Legacy FX did.

I am an Aerospace engineer and 3d model work is my life but simplifying a model into essential polygons only for pepping and staying as close to the original is a lot more difficult than i expected lol
:D I was curious why you said IGES or STEP, as the only time I had ever heard of those being used was at work where we produce detailing/engineering software for the steel industry.

Those curves will definitely need to be triangulated. I will stick to an HD version, since that sounds like what you are most interested in. I have plenty of experience with polygon modeling to do it. I spent a good while cleaning up the EVA helmet for my own pepping purposes because some of the polys were making for a really poor build experience.

:) Yea I work in Catia. Which there is literally no bette surfacing software in the industry but yea anyways
Heres tonights update:
doesnt look like much but it took a lot of trial and error to get close to what i wanted

I am a little worried about a couple of areas causeing problems for pepping so i might have to go back and adjust a few things

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled8.jpg

Finally i have found the shoulder ive been looking for!!!!
this is simply amazing, i like all the detail you have put into this
but it looks like it will be hard to pep.

All right I think that I have finished the initial version of this shoulder
It will defintely be a rough pep to do. I am not sure yet wether or not it will even be peppable but this is all an experiment for me and a learning experiment

Zat German I will probably get you the file tomorow after i have triple checked my work

Untitled11.jpg

Untitled10.jpg

Untitled9.jpg

It will defintely be a rough pep to do. I am not sure yet wether or not it will even be peppable but this is all an experiment for me and a learning experiment

Zat German I will probably get you the file tomorow after i have triple checked my work

Sounds good, I will definitely let you know if there is pain. :)

Looks good, although it isn't mandatory to make a Noble 6 version instead of a MC one, if you want to build a newer character, but you still wan't to make the chief, why not make the chief from the new "Fall of Reach" Cover Art:
John117FOReach.png

It looks great, and you still get to make Chief, although you don't have a lot of reference for it... :(

yea apperently even though when I designed the shoulder all the surfaces were connected and "healed" together in Catia
When Zat imported it they were all singular :/ so meshing the thing right away was out of the picture :/
Its a learning experience though

I think I am going to do my best to learn Maya so things will go a bit smoother.

Thanks again for all the help with this Zat. (I found a really good tutorial source for Maya :):) so I am happy now lol)

yea apperently even though when I designed the shoulder all the surfaces were connected and "healed" together in Catia
When Zat imported it they were all singular :/ so meshing the thing right away was out of the picture :/
I did figure out how to make it merge them all into a single shape, except when I do that, it tends to screw up hard edges and makes crazy terrible triangles. So now I am doing it part-to-part and drawing in the hard edges where it is faster to do so.

Just a trick for anyone who is working between Pepakura and a 3D modeling package to make sure things unfold well(especially true for Maya): Do not use a gray color for your polygons. If you happen to have backwards normals, they are pretty much impossible to see in Pepakura. I was getting cuts in places I was not expecting in Pepakura Designer because of this. Now I am working in a nice red. :D

I was curious as to when someone was going to amp this thing up... Looks like your the victor! Cant wait to take a crack at unfolding this puppy!!!!! =D

there is a few areas that are going to be a pain to put together and a few spots that will have to be glued in a certain way but i think it will be do-able

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back