"We Are ODST" Tarkov WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everyone,

I have decided to restart an age-old project that I first started the day I joined the 405th nearly 2 years ago. An ODST costume.

However, unlike many members here who have made the ODST costume based on the game variants, I have decided to model mine mainly based on the design of the live-action short film costumes from the “We Are ODST” live-action short film released in 2009.

Anyway, onto my progress…

--------------------------------------------------

CONCEPTS AND FORMER ATTEMPTS

I have been at the conceptualization stage for the better part of my time here on the 405th. As new ideas have come to the table, I have had more to work with. My imagination gradually expanded, and my knowledge of modern day tactical body armour and other tactical components has increased aswell. With the information I now posses I was able to add to the Legacy Effects ODST costume design to create a more tactically efficient costume, aswell as keep its “tacti-cool” look.

As an example, I decided to base my thigh armour on the 3-piece thigh featured on the Legacy Effects ODST costume. However, I changed the design slightly aswell as added a MOLLE system to attach pouches to.

ODSTThighConcept1.jpg

After evaluating my first attempt at the ODST chest armour back in 2007 (pictured below) I realized that there was very little flexibility, and its overall strength due to it being completely constructed from cardboard was pour to say the least. After joining the 405th I have gained valuable knowledge of new methods that can meet my needs, aswell as gained some personal experience in the field of costuming.

2992259215_387d2c358e_b.jpg

With the new knowledge I gained from the 405th and the release of multiple live-action trailers, I was able to gain a new understanding of how I should make the armour, and the design I should follow. Eventually the “We Are ODST” trailer was released, and I saw my final objective.

I went to work on my first version of the chest plate (pictured below) using a simplified version of the method I use today that I have dubbed “scratch peping”. “Scratch peping” is very similar to the Pepakura process, but the entire Pepakura assembly is done without the aid of 3D models and the Pepakura Designer/Viewer software. It’s a form of scratch building a physical 3D model from cardstock, apposed to a virtual 3D model. The process is very hard, but with the proper mindset, experience and knowledge, you can pull it off as I have.

DSCN1646.jpg

As depicted in the only in-progress shot of the chest plate I had taken, after the “scratch peping” phase, it quickly turns into the traditional Pepakura assembly method. Using the traditional fiberglass reinforcement method, and bondo for detailing, you achieve the same results as you would if you were to use a pre-made 3D model uploaded into the Pepakura program. The only difference is you get exactly what you want in the end instead of having to sacrifice some of your original ideas because the restrictions of the pre-made model.

The final result of this method is pictured below.

DSCN1649.jpg

However, I have declared this chest plate inaccurate after some light was shinned later on down the road from a few friends in high places. As a result, I went back to square one with my “scratch peping” method to make version 2 of the chest plate (Pictured below).

DSC_0131-1.jpg

Again, this chest plate I have declared inaccurate due to an error I made during the “scratch peping” process that I had only noticed after reinforcement of the part had been completed.

Finally, after receiving more reference from my friends in high places I was able to draft out every view of the original Legacy Effects “We Are ODST” main chest plate, and the rest of the chest armour.

LegacyFXODSTChestPlateDraft2-1.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

After finalizing the drafts, I got to work once again using my “scratch peping” method.

CURRENT PROGRESS

Version 3 of the “We Are ODST” variant main chest plate has already been “scratch peped” and its design is currently being finalized. The rest of the chest armour (disinclining the belt plate) has also reached the same stage. Every part is in perfect scale to the original chest armour of the “We Are ODST” armour using references and measurements supplied by my friends in high places. Luckily the chest armour is fairly universally fitted to anybody from 5’9”-6’3”, so naturally at 6’1” everything fits me very well.

Using the same method for the version 3 main chest plate, I “scratch peped” the rest of the chest armour. Every part naturally fits together, and the design of each part flows in sync with each other.

Main Chest Plate.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

Stomach Plate.

DSC_0199.jpg

Kidney Plate.

DSC_0193.jpg

Groin Plate.

DSC_0189.jpg

Current Assembly.

DSC_0202.jpg

I purposely left out a large amount of details that will be added in later with sheet styrene and bondo. Rest assured that the chest armour will be a very close replica of the original “We Are ODST” costumes, but with the addition/subtraction of a few small details for a slightly more custom and/or tactical effect.

To avoid adding another “Great Wall of China”-like wall of text, I will spare you all the details of the rest of the armour and my exact plans for the future of this costume as it progresses. However, rest assured that everything will be revealed in my future updates as the build continues.

As always, constructive criticism and personal opinions are welcome and encouraged. I will update again with some more parts “scratch peped” aswell as some resin/fiberglass work done in the near future.

Until then, stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

you put way too many thoughts and ideas into all of your projects, but I obviously mean it in a good way :p
you plan it out so perfectly,
it's going to turn out so well just from looking at it. You honestly have to keep me up to date with this, especially that I'm starting my own ODST armour :p

keep up the great work, I CAN'T wait to see more :)
actually

@MikyVengeance-

First off, thanks for the comment!

I admit I do put a lot of thought into my costumes. Just today I caught myself researching the colours Kevlar comes in to pinpoint a base colour for my armour under the flat black over-spray that will show through because of the weathering I will be applying to the armour.

I hope to be on some inspiration for other members here aswell. Although I may not be doing anything revolutionary, I may still be able to get a few people motivated with their own projects so they can complete them for whenever their deadline may be.

Just an FYI to everybody, I do plan to mold and cast every part of the armour. There is nothing worse then tripping and falling flat on your face at night during Halloween, then standing up and discovering that your chest armour is shattered and you have to start from square again. Molding, for me anyway, is an insurance system for costuming. You can break an armour part because you know that you can cast a new one later on down the road.

Again, constructive criticism and your own personal opinions are very welcome, and are in fact encouraged.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Looks really cool! Do you plan on making a torsopiece, or are you just not doing that part?

Hey, just the other day I was thinking how I hadn't seen any posts from you lately. Glad to see you're still kicking around, and with a new WIP at that!
On the topic of the armor, it looks like you've really outdone yourself. It really does look phenomenal. Keep up the great work! :)

Looking solid! And please, do post more of your thought processes as you go along. I'm new to scratch/pep building and the easiest way for me to learn is to read the thought process and see what the results of it are.

First off, thanks to everybody for the encouraging comments!

@Sithslayer78-

I will be making the neck/back armour aswell as the chest armour. I’m not a fan of that bulky backpack, plus I can probably throw together the back armour faster then a backpack.

Now for an update.

School has been taking a large toll on my time, but today I managed to get back to work today.

I looked into the designs of all of the shoulder/bicep armour of every known variant of the ODST. After narrowing the variants I wanted to make down to the Halo 3:ODST, Weta ODST and Legacy Effects ODST variants, I looked at their tactical advantages. Each design was either very bulky or too small to mix with the Legacy Effects chest armour’s design. The only feasible design I liked was the Legacy Effects ODST shoulder/bicep that was based on the original Halo 3:“Recon” ODST variant armour. So, naturally, I set my sights on the Halo 3:“Recon” announcement trailer variant shoulder/bicep.

Halo3ODSTSMG1.jpg

After finally deciding on the variant, I figured out the most feasible fabrication method. Because of the rounded nature of the shoulder, I settled on sculpting as my method of fabrication. After acquiring what little reference there is, I got to work on sculpting the upper portion of the shoulder.

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

The shoulder is now ready for molding either tonight or tomorrow morning. The lower part of the shoulder will follow closely behind. The shoulder armour should all be molded by the end of this weekend.

As always, constructive criticism and your own personal opinions are welcome and encouraged.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

YES! Someone else who think the "Recon" shoulders look the coolest!
They seem so much more tactically effective. Like, who would want square knee pads? Hahaaa

I may pick up a set of these shoulders. They look sick!

Again, thanks for the comments!

@Sumofl-

I currently have no plans for the ODST helmet at this time. I am only concentrating on the chest/back/shoulder/thigh armour for Halloween. The helmet, forearms and shins will not be included in the costume for Halloween.

I’m currently tweaking the details on the shoulder. A few of the indented lines are a little too thick for my liking, so I’ll be slightly adjusting them before molding tomorrow.

When i look at your work i know your one of the best on here. Because you go from scratch. Great job Xream.

Once again, thanks for the comment.

School and my recent enrollment with the Canadian Armed Forces has been taking a toll on my time once again. I have managed to work around as many obstacles as I can, but as one thing after another keeps popping up. Building this costume has becomes a high density minefield. While walking through this minefield, I wish not to step on one of the MANY lurking menaces, who in this case, are known as unwanted chores, school work or work in general. However, sometimes I can make it through this high density minefield unscathed. I have managed to do so for the past few hours.

After having to purchase new molding materials for the costume due to my others being declared off limited by my father, I finally got to work molding the upper part of the shoulder after modifying the sculpt slightly to be more accurate and smooth (updated picture below).

DSC_0246.jpg

After hours of brushing, dabbing and hoping for the best possible results, all of my sweat, blood and tears were worth it in the end. The mold has no bubbles or air pockets that will effect the casts in any way, and its glass smooth surface will help limit sanding and bondo/spot putty work on the casts.

DSC_0252.jpg

I learned a great deal from my UNSC SOCOM Trooper’s shoulder, and I applied my new found knowledge and experience with great effect on the ODST’s shoulder. By blowing on the silicone so it would fill the engravings on the shoulder, there were no bubbles to speak of. The UNSC SOCOM Trooper’s shoulder was riddled with bubbles due to me not employing this technique before.

DSC_0253.jpg

I also learned to shrink the size of the registration keys to better the registration of the silicone into the mother mold. This will decrease the chances of warping, aswell as provides better support to the gelcoat as it is curing.

DSC_0255.jpg

I should be able to pull the first cast of the shoulder tomorrow as long as the weather holds.

I also managed to work on the shoulder straps of the ODST. Early on in the build I decided I wanted a dirty looking ODST to create the illusion that the soldier had been through hell and back. I began constructing the shoulder straps with some EVA foam floor mats cut to shape and size. I then layered some black “foamies” foam on top of the EVA foam to create an indent through which the straps would run.

DSC_0232.jpg

After the glue holding the foams together set, I carefully cut and glued some black canvas onto the shoulder strap, being sure to keep a tight wrap around it to insure the detail I layered in with the black “foamies” foam would remain once the shoulder strap was bent in its correct shape.

DSC_0233.jpg

Next, I took some 120 grit sandpaper to the canvas to create a warn and faded effect primarily around the edges of the canvas. This also made the canvas more flexible as an added plus.

Closely following the sandpaper educed fading technique, I began ripping small holes into certain parts of the canvas to create the illusion that the ODST had been crawling and running around in the wilderness and/or metropolis. This effect panned out far better then I had hoped, and really helped achieve the warn look I was looking for.

DSC_0243.jpg

After realizing the lack of a backpack would limit the “communication” between the various position of the squad members in the unit through the secondary colours on the armour (in my case, yellow), I decided to add my own touch to the shoulder straps by wrapping some yellow electric tape around the bottom of the shoulder straps. I then weathered them accordingly with sandpaper and ripping.

DSC_0231.jpg

Finally, some dirt dust was added to help complete the shoulder straps overall look. Pictured below is a heavily weathered shoulder strap compared to the clean shoulder strap. I can now honestly say I would much rather prefer the weathered look apposed to the clean look.

DSC_0235.jpg

Both shoulder straps weathered and awaiting straps and buckles.

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

More coming soon. I have a long weekend ahead of me with plenty of work to do on this costume.

As usual, all constructive criticism and your own personal opinions are welcome.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Looking great as usual, those straps look great! I just finished that step on my Odst earlier this week and it's one that makes you feel accomplished- I don't know why.. Maybe just because it's a soft armor piece rather than hard and not many people scratch build soft pieces. Looking forward to more updates, keep em coming!

@ Rosh-

I agree, scratch building soft armour always gives me a great sense of accomplishment. It must be triggered by knowing you didn’t have to lean on any pep files for the build. Although I am not relying on pep files for a large portion of this build, I still felt a great sense of accomplishment with the shoulder straps because of their weathering.

I got down and dirty with resin and fiberglass today, so I decided to pull a cast of the ODST shoulder. It turned out great to say the least. No warping, bubbles, or defects of any kind in the cast. All I will have to do is some light sanding, trimming and possibly some very light spot putty work for this bad boy to be ready for paint.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

The white dust on the cast is baby powder that I used to relieve the cast of some of its stench.

I am currently scratch peping the back armour between my resin sessions on the rest of the chest armour. Pictures of that will be up soon, but until then I suppose the shoulder cast pictures will keep your mouths watering.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

I came.
Looks really awesome, you've got to give me some tips for molding because that looks great.
You casted the shoulder in fiberglass resin?

@ MikyVengeance-

I cast all of my armour parts in a black gelcoat reinforced by fiberglass matt and fiberglass resin. Basically the same method used for reinforcing pepakura. Apply a layer of resin to the outside of the armour part (in this case, the outside is the surface of the mold), then reinforce with fiberglass.

If you ever have questions, don’t hesitate to ask them.

Now for another small update.

I managed to resin the stomach plate, kidney plates and groin plate today. The first coat of resin was done with resin which had been sitting around my house for 2 years (ever since the first day I joined the 405th) so it did not cure at all. Luckily a coat from my newer can of resin solved the curing problem. The parts all have 3 coats of resin (2 coats outside, 1 coat inside) to prevent any warping during the rondo glassing/fiberglassing stage.

DSC_0259.jpg

Because time is so restricted, I will only be doing the bare essentials for this costume during its “Halloween stage” variant. Most of the parts will only be reinforced and painted a flat black with some mud dressing to disguise the imperfections. The only truly finished armour parts will be the molded ones (shoulder plates, hip plates, kidney plates and hopefully the main chest plate). The reason I will not be progressing any further on the other parts is because of the colour scheme of the ODST. The main chest plate, shoulder plates and shoulder straps all have the secondary colour on them (yellow). Therefore, the eye will naturally be drawn to those places first. The other armour parts will not have much attention drawn to them, and hopefully nobody will be saying “why do you only have half of a costume”.

Also, the belt plate has been scratched from my to-build list for now. Because of the ammunition pouch bandolier I will be constructing, the belt plate and most of the groin/stomach/kidney plates will not be visible. This adds to the advantage of only having partly completed chest armour, as most of it will not be visible.

As for the main chest plate, it is once again under construction. My pickiness for accuracy began nagging me again, so a near-total reconstruction has begun on the main chest plate. I’m hoping to power through with its reconstruction tonight so I can catch it up with the rest of the chest armours progress tomorrow.

DSC_0260.jpg

I’ll be updating again tomorrow.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Even though you're remaking the ODST chest plate, it still looks amazing.
What are you going to do with the old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back