How to add scratch marks/battle damage to your armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickeydog

Video tutorial

This technique, called dry brushing, is really easy to do. It adds scratch marks and battle damage beautifully, and gives your armor a more metallic look to it.

You will need:

1) A can of white spray paint.
2) A paint brush (I use a 1" brush)
3) A piece of armor.

Here's what you do:

Spray just a little bit of paint onto the paint brush. Don't saturate the brush. You just want a little bit of paint on the end of the brush. Watch out for the overspray. HINT: Do it away from your armor piece.

Start with the high points on the armor. Any where there is a ridge, run the brush over it. Run the brush in same direction each time. Ask yourself this question: If I sandblasted the armor, where would the most paint come off? Dry brush those areas really good.

One you get all the high points brushed up, go back over and add some scratch marks on the flat/curved sections. Here, you want a VERY light coat of paint on the brush. Add these marks in any direction.

Before:

DSCF0055-1.jpg

After:

DSCF0058.jpg

Again, it's important NOT to saturate the brush. You only want a little bit of paint on the brush.

I've never done this on a large scale, but only with miniatures. It does have some great effects though. As was said, you want VERY LITTLE paint on the brush. Otherwise you dont end up with a worn effect but you get an "Oh, I screwed up my paint job" scenario.

I've also heard of some people using rub and buff. I've never used it but I hear it works well.

In the past I have used multiple coats of different colors of paint, and then taken some rough sand paper to it, so that the paint is actually worn off. The different colored layers will give it the effects that it is worn from contact from different surfaces.

I use this method religiously with my armor. I personally love the effect it makes, I use silver paint rather than white though... more metally!

This is definitely the technique I'll be using once I actually get around to finishing a piece, hahah. Thanks for this!

Thank you very much for the tip. I have used this technique on a small scale detailing scale models. I think I will need abit of practice before attempting on a finished piece.

This technique is actually quite old, I have been using it for at least 3 - 4 years with w/h 40 k stuff, which I no longer do, and I love it!!!! It reLly helps bring out definant edges and raised details. For those who know anything about 40k, you would know of the valkrie, I used this technique extensively on it and it looks SO REAL!!!! And I plan on using some, but not to much, on my armor ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back