JUSTINIAN 117's MARK V BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

This weekend was like an early Christmas. I got all of my mold making supplies in:
100_1374.jpg

I also got my voice amplifier with a headset:
100_1372.jpg

I also got a fan for the helmet:
100_1373.jpg

I plan to wire up the amp and the fan in the next day or so. I got the mold making stuff for the boots, which are on the backburner for now. I will just have to fix the existing boots for this weekend.

I have also been working on this all morning. It is just a rough draft, but I think I am pretty close to making the final product. Enjoy...
100_1370.jpg

100_1371.jpg

that is like christmas lol but i must warn you, i bought the same fan for my helmet and it has almost no power to it at all. the only reason i stuck with it is because i could mount it infront of my mouth (pull all of the hot breath out of the helmet instantly). if you have a leather undersuit i would suggest a stronger or many more fans

mold making supplies? :O lucky!
i see you have a 9V fan, i was dumb and went with a 12V.. takes 6 AA batteries to run it :X oops!

that is like christmas lol but i must warn you, i bought the same fan for my helmet and it has almost no power to it at all. the only reason i stuck with it is because i could mount it infront of my mouth (pull all of the hot breath out of the helmet instantly). if you have a leather undersuit i would suggest a stronger or many more fans

mold making supplies? :O lucky!
i see you have a 9V fan, i was dumb and went with a 12V.. takes 6 AA batteries to run it :X oops!

I am pretty sure it is a 12 volt fan from Radio Shack. It works very good with just a 9 volt battery. I may add more fans later, but for now I just needed to get some sort of circulation.

I finished the neck seal. Here is how I made it.

I cut out all of the sides for it, there are 9 total.
100_1377.jpg

I folded the excess on the sides and sewed them to a thin strip on the back side.
100_1378.jpg

Then I sewed the sections together, and put a zipper in the back.
100_1380.jpg

Here is the final neck seal.
100_1381.jpg

100_1384.jpg

100_1387.jpg

I am pretty satisfied with the end result. I was going for the Blue Realm quality, and I got the detail right, but I am not sure if I got the sizing and tailoring perfect. I will have to see how it looks with the rest of the suit to decide that.

If anyone is interested in trying out the templates click here. It is just a jpg, but it is sized right. You will have to open it in some sort of graphics program to get it to fit onto a piece of paper properly.

The neck seal looks spot-on buddy!! Thanks for sharing the template, I think it definitely meets BlueRealm quality when finished.

-Matt

Today was very busy. I started out by fixing the boots.
I used some Urethane rubber.
100_1388.jpg

I mixed up a few batches.
100_1389.jpg

And then pored it into the boots and slushed it around the sides, so that they would hold together better than resin.
100_1390.jpg

Overall it worked out pretty well. I guess I will just have to wait and see how it holds up for long periods of time.

I also got the helmet fully assembles with electronics.
This is how the original vents were done, just raised plastic.
100_1375.jpg

Thankfully the plastic pulled right off and didn't harm the paint (I love auto paint :))
100_1376.jpg

After a long time with the dremel I have the new vents cut out.
100_1391.jpg

I then took some window screen and doubled it up for less visibility.
100_1392.jpg

Then Glued it to the inside of the vents.
100_1393.jpg

Here is all of the electronics inside. 9v battery to the fan, to blow cool air into the helmet. 3 AA battery pack to power the 4 leds on the side of the helmet.
100_1394.jpg

There is also a switch on each side of the helmet to control the fan and one for the lights.
100_1396.jpg

Here it is.
100_1399.jpg

One more day to get it all working just right. Stay tuned for more tomorrow.

o wow! The neckseal absolutely is stunning!, also i didn't even know the vents weren't previously cut out, bet it feels good to breathe now :)

o wow! The neckseal absolutely is stunning!, also i didn't even know the vents weren't previously cut out, bet it feels good to breathe now :)
It makes a huge difference.
Yep. That helmet looks awesome. :)
Glad to here that you like it.

I did a test fit with the entire suit.

Undersuit.
100_1400.jpg

Neck seal with the headset.
100_1402.jpg

The lower armor.
100_1403.jpg

The upper armor.
100_1404.jpg

The full suit.
100_1405.jpg

100_1407.jpg

Everything worked out perfectly. Just in time for Halloween :cool
I will try to get a bunch of pictures from all of the upcoming events.

The contests did not go well.

Thursday night was Senor Frogs. $1600.00 first place.

Here I am getting ready in the parking lot.
20111027_025.jpg

20111027_031.jpg

After I walked in two Mark VI mater chiefs walked in. :shock: I had no clue there were others in the same area. We all had a good time at the bar. It went on forever, and at 2 am they finally decided to judge. I tried to get the crowd to cheer for me.
20111028_005.jpg

20111028_006.jpg

But in the end I didn't even make the top 5. The other Spartans didn't either. The guy that got the most cheers didn't even make the top 5 :? The judging was not very good, the winner was some girl from mortal kombat.
She had boobs.... That is why she won. :x

Moving on to Friday.
A restaurant/bar had their annual contest. The winner got $1500.00.
Unfortunately I didn't make it on time to that one. They actually judged it before 10:00. Since it started at 9 pm I figured they wouldn't judge until at least 11. Overall it seemed to be a lot nicer than senor frogs, and I will definitely go there next year.

Saturday my church had their annual "Trunk or Treat" festival for kids. I think there were about 7000 people that showed up this year. I had someone taking pictures for me.

I had my best response here.
100_1415.jpg

100_1417.jpg

The Chief says "You better throw that in the garbage"
100_1418.jpg

"Whoa! A little green guy"
100_1419.jpg

Even the parents had to get pictures with me
100_1429.jpg

Hugs from the Chief
100_1430.jpg

Here's a gun little kid.
311006_10150907023430381_744920380_21430488_544112011_n.jpg

And I couldn't resist this shot. Surfer Chief.
100_1413.jpg

That night was Broadway at the Beach.
First prize $2500.00
Again, they judged it before I got there. But it looked like an amazing show.

Monday night was a strip of restaurants.
The winner got $1500.00

I didn't win their either, even though it was judged so much better than any other place.

Overall I had a great weekend, and will just have to try to do better next year. The suit held up great, but the boots are beat to hell. I will have to remake them.

owowow! win win win! i dont care what the judges say, you win!
epic surfing MC is epic!
100_1413.jpg

my new wallpaper!
where do you find these crazy costume contests? i've only been to one, the first prize was $150... but $1500 !! O.O i'm actually kinda pis**d off you didn't win!
but hey! where are you going for the Halo CE anniversary midnight release?

The surfing pic is definitely one of the coolest photos I've seen of someone in a Chief suit! Thanks for sharing the photos, seems like you had a good time. I had a similar experience with costume contests: the one I was planning to go to ($1000 1st place prize) was apparently held/judged earlier than I was told (I called the host bar specifically to ask). I'm confident I would have won after seeing the costumes at the place after I showed up...

Better luck to both of us next year! (Also, I'm impressed at the both the number of contests you found, as well as the hefty prize sums!)

owowow! win win win! i dont care what the judges say, you win!
where do you find these crazy costume contests? i've only been to one, the first prize was $150... but $1500 !! O.O i'm actually kinda pis**d off you didn't win!
but hey! where are you going for the Halo CE anniversary midnight release?
Those were the only contests I could find in the area. Myrtle Beach is kind of a party town. A lot of night clubs. I'm sure there were other contest, they just didn't advertise.

For the release I am waiting to here from Game Stop if they are doing a midnight release. The closest one to me is at the mall, and they don't plan to do one. :(

The surfing pic is definitely one of the coolest photos I've seen of someone in a Chief suit! Thanks for sharing the photos, seems like you had a good time. I had a similar experience with costume contests: the one I was planning to go to ($1000 1st place prize) was apparently held/judged earlier than I was told (I called the host bar specifically to ask). I'm confident I would have won after seeing the costumes at the place after I showed up...

Better luck to both of us next year! (Also, I'm impressed at the both the number of contests you found, as well as the hefty prize sums!)
One thing I realized at these contests, people don't seem to care how detailed they are up close. The people that won the contests were on stilts, or had lighting effects. If the judging was up close, during the day, I could have blown them away, but it was done at night on a stage. But I know what to expect for next year, and I will just have to do better then.

On a side not I have been working on repairs for the boots. I hope to have some pictures in a day or so.

That's unfortunate but at least you've learned 2 important lessons:

1. Humbleness will bring you the greatest joy
2. Tits will always win.

Would you mind posting photos of your old boots with the new ones? I'd love to see what "beat to hell" looks like for the job you did.

Cheers mate

The old boots cracked and broke in a bunch of places, and a hole was punched in the toe of one boot. The front part of the top, around the ankle broke several times, but after each event I tried to hot glue it in place temporarily.

I pulled the boots apart and took the shoes out. That was fun.:rolleyes
100_1433.jpg

I also sealed up the top part with sintra, so that it could be molded.
100_1434.jpg

After some bondo work.
100_1435.jpg

The final primer.
100_1436.jpg

100_1437.jpg

I just have to wait for some additional molding supplies, and I can start my first mold.:D

Man you are so good at the sanding/smoothing stage, I am jealous. lol. I hope the boot molding process goes as smoothly as possible for you. :)

Myrtle Beach huh? Didn't realize there were really any other spartan armor sets in SC.. at all (havn't really been on the site in years though).

You costume is fantastic but to be honest I don't think you have a hope of winning- the CE armor is just too simple looking and people probably will think it's just a less professionally made MKVI despite the fact that the detail is PERFECT. People just don't get it.. I get called a transformer constantly and the last party I switched between a MKVI and a MKV helmet and people only realized the LED's changed color (ones white ones blue).

Anyway- it's not always about winning, and that suit is one of the best I've ever seen.. love it. For anyone who knows halo seeing the original armor actually made is amazing.

By the way, whats that thing on your nose in the second picture? Something to avoid fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back