JUSTINIAN 117's MARK V BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, since the next step is going to take at least a week to finish I will post a few pictures of the mold process.

I am molding the soles of the shoes on a very tight budget, and couldn't justify buying all of the mold making materials just for my own personal suit.

So I am making a mold out of fabricated plastic and filling it with silicone caulking. I did a small test, and it took a few days to fully dry, but the end result was perfect. It came out in the right shape and I decided to test out the durability. I scraped it against concrete pretty hard and it didn't scratch the surface at all.

Here is my plastic mold:

100_1092.jpg

100_1093.jpg

Here it is with the first coat of silicone caulking on the inside of the mold:

100_1094.jpg

It is going to take a long time to make, but the total cost of the project will be around $20.00.

wow! thats a very good idea, i cant wait to see the boots finished!

How did you go by building those moulds? ( i mean the imprints inside , not the plastic siding )
their very clean and impressive.

I...I..I..I.....I dont know what to say.... i remember the start of this thread.. I..I...I love this thread very well done work. cant wait to see more progress! (stays still staring at the monitor wishing that armor was his). o_O

wow! thats a very good idea, i cant wait to see the boots finished!

How did you go by building those moulds? ( i mean the imprints inside , not the plastic siding )
their very clean and impressive.

I used a laser to cut the plastic in the shapes that I wanted, and then glued it together. Then I took a propane torch and heated it up so that I could bend it to have a curve on the bottom so that I can walk easier.

I also used the propane torch on the sides, to get the curve.

rvb18, thanks for the tip I will have to use that on the inside parts. And thanks for the tut.

Those forearms...just....wow.

They're incredible, a freaking work of art, man.

Thanks, Cadet.

I just took the boots out of the mold, and there are a few places that didn't release well, but for the most part they turned out great. I will have a picture up within the next day or so.

Ok, time for another update.

Here is the black detailed parts in the mold
100_1095.jpg

Here is the last image of the mold before it was taken out.
100_1096.jpg

The silicone caulking sole
100_1097.jpg

The game acurate bottom detail
100_1098.jpg

The flexibility of the sole
100_1099.jpg

It didn't come out as perfect as I would have wanted, but for a first time mold I am pretty happy with it. If I ever get some extra time I may buy some actual molding materials and make a better mold for it, but for now this will work just fine.

this is pretty crazy, i love it! very genious

I agree! This build is gona be EPIC! I like the materials that your using and the attention to detail that your putting in with it.

Can't wait to see how your project progresses.

KUDO's

Thanks guys. Life has been crazy the past few weeks, but I should be able to get back to work on it soon. I have been making a little progress on the top part of the shoe, but not enough to post anything yet. I am going to try to have them done by the end of the week.

You're build is just wonderful. I love what you did with the boot bottoms, and the details are just out of this world.

soooo did any of the tips help?

Yes, it was a lot of help with understanding silicone. I will be using it again soon.

wow awesome suit! but how you will make the remainder of the boots?

The rest of the boots will be done just like the rest of the suit, a hard plastic/bondo shell. I can't do it out of silicone, because it would get way too expensive, and it can't be painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back