Introduction + First Project (Guy-Manuel; Daft Punk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nil Desperandum

Greetings 405th! My name is Tim, I am 18 years old and hail from Plymouth County, Massachusetts. I graduated High School in June, and I plan to go to an Art College in Fall 2011 to become a digital artist. I am already a casual 3D modeller, and I hope to combine this skill with Pepakura to make truly unique props. I discovered Pepakura a few years back, but found it's true potential a couple months ago while stumbling upon this site. And i've been lurking here ever since. As much as I love the Halo series, I never had a real interest in creating either Halo weapons or armor. But I have wanted a Daft Punk helmet for a while now, Guy-Manuel's in particular. Which leads to my next section, my project.

I came across this thread, and found exactly the pep file I wanted. I printed out the one I wanted, and began pepping in Late September. Two days ago I resined it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I just now slush casted rondo and i'm waiting to see how it trurns out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Tried this once, failed. Good luck with it. Seen some good ones come out of these.

Also I'll be in Massachusetts next fall :D

Another Daft Punk fan!!! Woot woot! Great job on the Pepakura part!
I have Thomas' helmet as a Pep file that I got from here. There are multiple versions of it but I think it's from the same person. Been dying to start it but I currently don't have a printer :(

Excellent job with your helmet! Can't wait to see more progress!

Thanks all! :)
Since this is my very first project it's turning out to be quite the learning experience. You can watch and rewatch video tutorials on the process, and still not completely know what you're getting yourself into.

The rondo'd helmet came out fine, no warping. I made the rondo too thick with too much hardener so it came out thin in places, but that was easy enough to patch up. To try and conserve bondo I decided to sand right through the resin into the nice thick rondo layer underneath. The only problem with that it is harder to sand than pure bondo. Progress at this point is slow, but the event i'm planning to wear this to isn't for another 6 months, so no big rush. I'll post more pics as I get closer to fully sanded.

Double post, Hurrah!

I found a dremel hiding in my garage and put a sanding wheel on it. Much, much faster than by hand. So I used that to rough out all the nice crunchy, resin-ey folds and edges. But since a spinning wheel of abrasive death is only so accurate, I can't just dremel the helmet until the Sun sets on Human Civilization. So hand sanding is still necessary, but it's much easier when the folds are flattened out to bare rondo.

Progress as of yesterday;

5.png

6.png

7.png

And here you can see some wonderful thin spots. The most in need of patching-up are circled in sharpie.

8.png

Today I gave it a coat of sandable primer and bought some spot putty. I've decided i'm going to concentrate on the rather smooth areas before I put a lot of effort into the not so smooth areas. More pics as I progress.

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

Wow! It's hard to believe it's been a month since I last posted. I haven't worked on my helmet a ton, but i've made measurable progress. Also, low spots suck. Haha. Anyways, behold!!

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

I don't think finishing this will be a problem, but I feel having this done for Anime Boston 2011 at my current rate will be difficult. I'll have to pick up the pace!

Note- To everybody pm'ing me asking for the file, Torsoboy removed it for a reason. I won't give it to you. Sorry, but you'll have to find another one or find someone else to give it to you.

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

the pep work on this is first rate and it being ur first makes it even more amazing. kudos to u for picking a more advanced build as ur firs t ill definitely be following this. good luck.

Daft Punk, amazing! Love the band, love the music, love the helmets! Your doing an awesome job btw! Your pep work is great, no warpage from what I could see. And very smooth bondo work keep it up, I really want to see this done!

You have the link to this? My girlfriend is borderline obsessed with Draft Punk. I'm thinking of making this for her for her birthday.

you are really good at sanding! and why did you scratch out your licence plate, how am i supposed to find you now?!?!

Very nice job on pepping, resining, applying rondo/bondo to this helmet! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

can you please post the link.?? My brothe and i are big fans of Daft punk and we want me the helmets so we can be them for halloween

Hi!!! Im sorry to bother you, but can you please share this file with me, and all who desire it? I been looking crazy mad for really godly files of Guy Manuel's helmet, and been looking crazy for "TorsoBoy" but I haven't been able to find anything until now! Please, I would really appreciate you sharing the file and I promise to give all credit to you.. I love daft punk and been meaning to make one.. but I need this pep. Thank you!!!!

This thread is over a year old, I doubt he comes online anymore.
I have some Guy-Manuel pep files, PM me if you want them.
I also got a Thomas pep file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back