Reach Armor EVA Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a #11 blade and inserted it into my soldering iron. I think the problem is that my soldering iron doesn't get hot enough

Been Watchin your Build Torres. It's lookin fantastic.
On post #25 you said you didn't like how the hot knife cut the Foam. I found a difference with brands and blades. I have to keep my mess down to keep the wife happy. But I found Hobbico Hotknives and #11 Blades worked the best. The scalpul Blades worked too. Sliced it like butter. Just throwing an idea in to keep mess down.

I found that the Hobbico Knife I have, heats to almost 400+. Little crummy ones from Harbor Freight just don't get past 300. I think the hobbico knifes is hot enough for the heat to carry through the blade.
Also how fast are you trying to cut? I found that if you try to jsut cut too fast. The blade cools and you get a jagged cut. But I found that slow and steady worked great by letting the heat do the work. Again, Just an Idea I thought to bounce your way.

I tried with my dremel and end up with an inch cut on my knuckle. to each his own right? heh. Well your Build is Fantastic, Hope I did't take away with this post.

lol no you didn't take away anything. I actually wasn't trying to cut that fast. the blade kept colling down too quickly so I'm its my soldering iron cuz I have hobbico knives too.

I found that the Hobbico Knife I have, heats to almost 400+. Little crummy ones from Harbor Freight just don't get past 300. I think the hobbico knifes is hot enough for the heat to carry through the blade.
Also how fast are you trying to cut? I found that if you try to jsut cut too fast. The blade cools and you get a jagged cut. But I found that slow and steady worked great by letting the heat do the work. Again, Just an Idea I thought to bounce your way.

I tried with my dremel and end up with an inch cut on my knuckle. to each his own right? heh. Well your Build is Fantastic, Hope I did't take away with this post.

Alright I haven't forgotten about this project. Just a little slow cuz of school but construction is done, just gotta fiberglass the helmet and paint the suit.

Man I don't get it, your build looks so much smoother compared to mine. I'm going the EVA Foam route myself, I started at the feet.
Which By the way, your boot looks completely different from mine. What file did you use for a Template or did you scratch it?

I'm using a Hotknife and #11 blades and I just started using the Hotglue with it. I was rather surprized at the outcome.

Your build looks great, you fixin to make your Bicep shoulder interchangeable?

The boot file I used is the boot file that was unfolded by Zero2o2. Its the boot file thats meant to go around an existing boot. and my suit appears smoother cuz where any pieces meet at angles I use a belt sander to bevel the edges of any pieces that need them. click on the link in the sig. its my deviant art profile that has all my update pictures and there I show a little of my process.

Man I don't get it, your build looks so much smoother compared to mine. I'm going the EVA Foam route myself, I started at the feet.
Which By the way, your boot looks completely different from mine. What file did you use for a Template or did you scratch it?

I'm using a Hotknife and #11 blades and I just started using the Hotglue with it. I was rather surprized at the outcome.

Your build looks great, you fixin to make your Bicep shoulder interchangeable?

Oh I looked through them the best I could. Only Deviant was only allowing me to view a few pics. I saw the sanding wheel.

I've been taking the flat side of my Hotknife and rubbing it along the joined edges then sanding it. Looks nothing like what you have.

hm. thats weird you can only view a few pics.

Oh I looked through them the best I could. Only Deviant was only allowing me to view a few pics. I saw the sanding wheel.

I've been taking the flat side of my Hotknife and rubbing it along the joined edges then sanding it. Looks nothing like what you have.

Very nice work, crisp, I like it. The belt sander is sweet, I need one, so far I have been using 320 grit sandpaper on a block. I also found that with the hotknife you only need to score 1 or 2 mm deep and then cut it out with scissors. How many coats of plastidip to hide the seams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back