Basic Costuming knowledge needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRTNBD50

Alright, I can say I do know alot about costuming right now, but I am sure I don't know something.

I know:
-How to pep a file
-Resin outside first
-Fiberglass inside using fiberglass and resin
Alt-Rondo(1/4 resin, 3/4 bondo)
-Mudglass(Rondo+ strips of fiberglass)
-Bondo outside
-Sand down the piece
-Make ventilation holes/fans
-Paint

Thats all I know, but the things I'm not sure about is:
-Is it a must to bondo the outside
-How to add weathering to the piece
-How to install visor

If I am missing anything, please do tell me.
One more thing I forgot is, is the resin suppose to sink through the cardstock properly cuz i used glossy cardstock and it doesn't go well.
So is it possible to use glossy cardstock?

Well I'm new but notice you havent covered padding? As I havent got that far myself yet, cant suggest the best method but guess fitting with tape to try the fit and then gluing in when right for you.

Sure some one that knows will be along in a while :)

Well I'm new but notice you havent covered padding? As I havent got that far myself yet, cant suggest the best method but guess fitting with tape to try the fit and then gluing in when right for you.

Sure some one that knows will be along in a while :)

Right, I almost forgot, I was planning on attaching them with velcro, On side on the helmet, the other on the padding.

-Is it a must to bondo the outside
Not at all. It's only necessary to bondo the places that really need to be leveled out or changed in some way. DO NOT cover the entire outside though (as I did...) unless the file is incredibly jagged, or you failed the pepping process... in which case you probably need to do it once more with a HD variant.

-How to add weathering to the piece
One way (I havn't tried yet) is to (after priming) paint on a layer of silver paint. then do a layer of your primary colour on top and then go crazy on it. Hand sand it down to the silver and scratch it in places. Just be careful where this is done, as you need to do it places that would actually BE weathered.

-How to install visor
HAvn't done this myself, but the tutorials vary. The method I've come across the most is to cut it down a bit and hot glue it in.

You can resin over glossy cardstock, it just isn't going to work "as well". If you rondo or smoothcast the inside though it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. One of the only reasons to resin the outside at all is to make the helmet rigid enough to handle sloshing around stuff inside of it. So yeah, you won't have as sturdy a piece, it should still do the job as far as holding the helmet shape while you reinforce. Though I may add a second coat since you aren't sinking into the paper as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back