How to size War Machine and Iron Man pep files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what everyone needs to do on this thread is post what scale factor worked for them, and their measurements of that body part. Then on the main page you (silent) can just list these numbers so people coming to look for what scale they need to use can just find the one corresponding to their closest measurement. Tell me if this makes no sense :).

Like for head I can say from under the chin over the top of the head my measurement is 26.5'', and from over the top of one ear around the head I measure 24'' and I used a scale factor of 1.11 Height: 312mm, Width: 195mm, Depth: 283mm. So on first page you could list like this:

Helmet
First measurement taken from under the chin, over the top of the head. Second measurement taken around head right above ears.
First/Second - Scale Factor - Height - Width - Depth
26.5''/24'' - 1.11 - 312mm - 195mm - 283mm
***Continue listing others successful results***

As people successfully pep other peices you can just put information on how they measured that body part on the first page and it will become the default way to do so. Just my 2 cents, but this is the best way to do it IMO. Like I said, scale factor is based on the models original size so it will not translate indefinately forever, so MM readings are required. And as per some type of formula for taking a single measure of body part in order to figure out what size you will need to make the peice, I don't think it works out that way. That is how I came up with 1.27 for my helmet originally, and it was also like a large bobble head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself have not had to mess with the scale in any of the pep files (beyond the mm measurements) but this seems like a great way to measure for the helmet. I will update this mike to the top thread until I hear that it doesn't work for someone else. I will be trying it soon as well ^_-

UPDATE HOW TO MEASURE THE FOREARM (GAUNTLET, HANDPLATE, and ARM GUN)

Forearm, Handplate, and Arm Weapon

The best way I found to do this whole part is to use Dubean33's Left Forearm file which contains the handplate, gauntlet, and arm gun all together already for you. Then I measured from the crease of my forearm down to my knuckles (I HAVENT FINISHED HANDPLATE TO SEE IF I NEED TO TWEAK BUT FEEL CONFIDENT AND WILL EDIT THIS PART WHEN I AM FOR CERTAIN). Here I got the measurement 14"

(QUICK FUN FACT: Your Forearm is the length in inches to your shoe size. Ie. I wear a 10 my forearm was 10" long. Anyways I digress)

Now that you have your measurement its time to add 3". 3 INCHES ?!?!? YOU SAY?!?!?! Well here is the reasoning. The hand plate will be separate from the gauntlet piece which adds a little more length. Then you have to figure for padding for the handplate as well as the forearm. If you were perhaps just measuring the gauntlet piece then you would probably only add about 2" but by adding 3" to my measurement I was able to pep a comfortable and good sized gauntlet for my war machine armor. OVERALL this will allow for 3 pepped files and accurately so. ^_^

Awesome, I would also recommend you add links to the pep files in question directly on the front page. This will solve the usual problem of people visiting a forum and posting non-sensical requests for what files we are referring to.

I have Dubean's war machine files, I think, but I don't have the one that includes the whole arm. If I can get a password for Pepakura designer I can actually export these files into 3dsMax and get exact measurements, linear and circumferencial (I think I made that up :)).

Awesome, I would also recommend you add links to the pep files in question directly on the front page. This will solve the usual problem of people visiting a forum and posting non-sensical requests for what files we are referring to.

I have Dubean's war machine files, I think, but I don't have the one that includes the whole arm. If I can get a password for Pepakura designer I can actually export these files into 3dsMax and get exact measurements, linear and circumferencial (I think I made that up :)).

Great idea Mike I will post links to pep files when I get a chance later along with forearm pictures

Hey guys I am back sorry about not posting anything helpful in a bit. I went to Gatlinberg, TN with my beautiful wife and now I am back. Im going to be bondoing my chest and back piece tonight but I hope to really have that gun done tonight!!! ^_^ NOTE: I did finish pepping the hand piece. Im not a 100% about it yet. It feels and looks good but i dont kow if I wish to have it just a lil big like 1% scale increase but it looks good think i might try taping it to my hand and testing it with the forearm and gun pep being done. will be trying to get some updates, and any advice I can soon. Thanks to all interested and who contribute through the collective we shall learn all that we can !!! lol

i tried the war machine helmet as my first completed pep. turned out ok but didnt really like it so i downloaded the iron man helmet file and im nearly done with it(hate how i have to tape 5 seperate parts togheter to form the head) and i wanted to do the war machine chest next and was wondering how i would scale it and thankfully i found this thread :)

I'm glad it helped I'm working on games work and bondo I will get back to pepping soon but feel free to experiment and contribute!

something thats confuseing me is that to me the gauntlets look excatly the same. what i mean is that the right gauntlets and forearm look like the left if you get what im trying to say

Iron Man

HI, i have all of the war machine files but i was wondering if you could send me a link or tell me where to get the mk 6 ironman files like from iron man 2 you can send them to bbeastx@yahoo.com if you do not wish to post them thank you for your help this thread is most appreciated,
jlaforgia

I attempted to build the helmet at 268 mm and realized it was just too small.

220980_202159189815675_100000647876456_616904_6334157_o.jpg

If you're a big and stocky guy with a square head, I suggest you go with a 272mm measurement for the height.

All that time.... oh well, glad I have Netflix. Going to put this aside for now and attempt the chest.

220980_202159189815675_100000647876456_616904_6334157_o.jpg

So far the only successful sized and pepped piece I have made is the chest and back piece. Using advice from BenStreeper in his tutorial videos I measured from the lowest rib to my neck (not your collar bonebut rather around your adam's apple / throat. Which for me was 18" Giving plenty of wiggle room and room for padding and then matched the measurement of 18" for the back piece.
~Contributed by Silentd3at4, and BenStreeper
DATE: 10/25/10

hey i started constructing my war machine few days ago n just got my chest and back done. I did measure mine from the bottom of my rib to my throat but somehow my back part turned out way smaller than the chest although the height of my back is the same as my chest. any advice? =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back