Fallout New Vegas, NCR Veteran Ranger Armor

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe

Total Downloaded
    nahh, i always prime everything i do,
    unless your trying for a very specific "absorbed" look, it's best to prime this stuff, i was just unsure of what to prime it with exactly, until recently.

took part of the mask apart tonight and flared out the edges around the muzzle area,

trying to replicate the flared edges of this picture.
    http://www.existentialgamer.com/blog...-new-vegas.jpg

than attached the front and lens frames.

now i need a couple of pipes for the gas mask canisters.

Total Downloaded
    Your project is coming along nicely! Very creative way of using a combination of materials for your build.

Late to the meeting
    haven't looked at this in a while and now that I have it is compelling me to move away from pep's and may start on some foamies of my own.

Total Downloaded
    Any progress?

hey man didnt know you were over here at the 405th

Total Downloaded
    Okay folks, big update,
    i've been working hard getting the amp on the front of the mask looking right, which isnt easy when its from scratch.
    couldn't find a pipe the right diameter to use for it, so i had to improvise.. now i have to do something similar for the gas canister! not going to be fun.

sometime round this period i noticed i was doing it wrong, and had to tear the pieces apart and redo them, so the gap between the sections were even all the way along, rather than kind of arcing outwards.

i felt the mask was too wide, so i cut a slit in the side

and attached it closer.

I also began work with my favorite type of weathering, BATTLE DAMAGE!
    so i took my trusty soldering iron to the foam.

looks nice dude very nice

Total Downloaded
    some people have been curious with how i rigged the straps at the back, so for their benefit.
    the silver thing on the strap is a safety pin, i will add a line or two of stitching, once i am satisfied with the entire vest.

Total Downloaded
    I really like your work. You might have already addressed this so if I missed it please forgive me, are you doing the red LEDs in the eyes pieces like the picture in the start screen of new vegas?

Total Downloaded
    Looking great dude! And you did exactly what I did for the battle damage on my NMPD vest too, lol! =P

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair651 View Post
    Looking great dude! And you did exactly what I did for the battle damage on my NMPD vest too, lol! =P
    Soldering iron rather than a propane pen torch, but the idea is the same, yes

Quote Originally Posted by cfh935 View Post
    I really like your work. You might have already addressed this so if I missed it please forgive me, are you doing the red LEDs in the eyes pieces like the picture in the start screen of new vegas?
    EL Wire around the edges of the lenses. as well as red self adhesive tinting.

Total Downloaded
    Yeah man....? Thaaaats what I did? And I didn't use a propane pen torch, it was a full sized propane torch. And that was just for the back plasma shot effect. The front was done with a soldering iron you silly goose! =P

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair651 View Post
    Yeah man....? Thaaaats what I did? And I didn't use a propane pen torch, it was a full sized propane torch. And that was just for the back plasma shot effect. The front was done with a soldering iron you silly goose! =P
    i misread your earlier posts in the foam armor thread then, my bad, i thought you had just used a pen sized propane torch.

Total Downloaded
    Im loving your build man. Makes me want to start working with foam.

Total Downloaded
    i wanna make my own NCR as well

Total Downloaded
    Firstly, as much as i liked the burn marks and blackening of the foam with the soldering iron, i am not content to leave the armor a simple grey with a few scratch marks.
    it needs to look dirty and have a somewhat paintchippy look to areas.

i cannot speak more highly for this spraypaint however, in the shot you can see it, Plastidip,
    works a charm on foam, and holds paint to it perfectly, a great primer

after i've gotten the front amp sorted, i needed to make the filter canister, and was at a total loss for how to do it until i routed through some of my junk box, i found something almost perfect!
    it was a cheap dollar store purchase at a japanese market, i bought a couple of them for things like a potential stick grenade prop, or other such ideas.

cut it in half

and the bottom now slides inside the top.

for the more observant of you,
    http://www.existentialgamer.com/blog...-new-vegas.jpg
    this detail shot shows an interesting detail that looks like a series of thin discs held inside the canister.
    so i'm going to have to try to replicate that.

hey, the hole only shows about a quarter of the possible inside of the canister.. why not cheat?
    work smart, not hard!
    so i saved my fingers some pain and divided each disc i cut into four.

i think it works.

now, back to the armor,
    i want to keep the channels between the plates black, so i'm using some blue painters tape.

hard to tell but i've given it a coat of gunmetal as my "raw" armor color, i'll be painting the grey over this in select places to give it an extra weathered look.

i also think the plastidip is a great stuff to try with the canister, so i'm giving it a coat of it before i give it some regular primer, we shall see how it goes.

Total Downloaded
    This is amazing, your work is wonderful, and very clean! Keep up the great work cant wait to see the end result!

lookin good man.

Total Downloaded
    Awesome, what gun(s) do you have planned for this thing if any?

Total Downloaded
    guns? i'm thinking a cavalry colt single action.
    that and a flag pole with the NCR flag attached.

So after my dremel tool exploded in my hands, and burnt it'self out (as well as my hand) i decided to give up on the steel helmet route.
    at this time of frustration, a friend suggested i use the fiberglass helmet liners they used.
    i've got to say, they work very very well for the design, much closer to the head, and i can much easier add a camera box.
    though i'm not sure how to add a dent to them, i'm honestly considering cutting a hole and filling it with bondo to leave it the impression of a dent.

speaking of bondo, i needed to fill a few areas.

now i just need a few tubes and cables, add abit of damage, add the camera on one side, and the ear 'pod' on the other side.
    then i'll just fiberglass the inside, lenses, tinting.. holy crap i have alot to do

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Kommissar View Post
    holy crap i have alot to do
    That should be our motto

405th.com

"Holy crap... I have a lot to do!!"

I'm nearing the end of my pepping and looked at how much fiberglassing I have left not to mention molding and casting

I think your a genius in this build by the way, very skillful

Total Downloaded
    best NCR build ive ever seen

Total Downloaded
    Looking great man! Keep it up!!! =D

New Recruit
    Total Downloaded
    you know there is a secret to making this stuff that works really good and looks great you know that garage floor paneling the foam well use a dremel tool on that to make your crevices and it looks amazing i would show a pic but do not have one right now

New Recruit
    Total Downloaded
    Oh and Btw the helmet is not a WWII helmet it is a brimless riot control helmet along with the armour the text on the left pec stands for either L.V.P.D or L.A.P.D riot