Fallout New Vegas, NCR Veteran Ranger Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeha and on another note i would hightly recommend using el wire it is 10 dolllars and will give it that nice glow effect. how do you plan on making the lenses im thinking about using gel lens/light filter sheets. the kommisars in town o wa o

Your build just keeps getting better and better. Just when I think you can't add anymore awesome to it you post an update and pile it on. Keep up the ridiculously good work I can't wait to see you wearing it.

oh yeha and on another note i would hightly recommend using el wire it is 10 dolllars and will give it that nice glow effect. how do you plan on making the lenses im thinking about using gel lens/light filter sheets. the kommisars in town o wa o

I already plan to use EL Wire.
both my original comment talking about EL wire in the build and the question about the pep file are on page two already btw, including a link to the pep file.

hey just wondering, where'd you get the coat from? and is there a place that has like instructions on how to do all that stuff to make the vest? i've never really made any props before, and really wanted to make a vet ranger armor costume, and google brought me here, and yoursl ooks amazing! and i got pretty much everything else down, except the vest, and some of the mask stuff. thanks!

hehe stuff like this makes me laugh buddy just do some searching on this sit i'm pretty sure you'll find out what its about fairly quickly.

alright gents,

update time,
your combined efforts have broken my last photobucket account, i probably wont be reuploading the photos to a different account, but they will be back online after xmas, or thats what photobucket says.
i may upload a few choice shots for the benefit of those who ahve yet to see the work thus far, but that depends upon time, as most of it is spent building for my deadline, jan 7th.
after then, i'll be working on adding glowing eyes as well as other things.

first up, i've ordered a spandex hood to wear under the armor... i wish i had gotten the one that covers the eyes and not the mouth, instead i got a 3 hole one.
i may try and get a better one for the con i go to after Jan, as i'll have more income and more time.
i'll also need the hood for an ODST group i will be assisting with.

the helmet is done, so it needs some priming.
here is the prep shot.
PA180646.jpg

and the after shot.
PA180647.jpg

i had to hunt around for a good, soft flexible pipe for the gasmask, and could only find a stiff rubber one at an auto shop :/
i thought a heat gun could bully it into a good shape, but no luck...
what it did do was separate the two layers of rubber separated by a woven layer, which proved useful later.

PA200650.jpg

i raided my junk box, and found a metal gas line, the ones that hold their shape when you bend them around...
well, if the pipe wont do what i tell it too, i'll shove something down it that will!

PA200651.jpg

so that worked out REALLY well, other than the extra weight, which is adding up now..
i found a few extra interesting bits of junk, the red part being from the tip of an old chinese spring airsoft i butchered.

cut it down, attached it to a piece of PVC pipe, and used the separated rubber layers as an anchor to slip part of the red airsoft gun's nozzle inbetween them.
i then used one of the plumbing screw tightening clasps to keep it all in place.. i had set it aside as something that looked good for the whole "post apoc punk" look of jury rigged armor.. didn't expect it to be so useful as well as appropriate!!

PA200655.jpg

with all the internal details set for the mask, i decided to start the fiberglassing. i was very concerned with some advice i had gotten from some members of the forum about styrene melting under the effect of fiberglass resin,
i tried a tester and it seemed to work out, so i went for it, and i guess the styrene was thick enough that it was not an issue, which was a big relief.

so heres the inside of the mask.
PA200656.jpg

layed out ready for fiberglass

PA200657.jpg

learned this lesson the hard way..
don't make big batches of resin.
i used 4 fluid ounces of the stuff in a plastic cup and barely got through an 8th of the cup of resin before it set solid around my paintbrush..
after that, i started working with 1/2 to a full fluid ounce per resin "batch"

PA200658.jpg

batch 2

PA200659.jpg

i forget how many, but it was about 3 or 4 batches before i was happy to leave it alone.

once it set, well.. it went from being fragile to me now being reasonably confidant i could drop it on the tile kitchen from my face height and not break the actual mask.. when beforehand the zippkicked superglue was about as fragile as glass.
in-fact i would be willing to bet a drop and punt of this thing across my yard would not do much damage, it had a certain amount of flex to it before, and now it's remarkably rigid, in-fact a little too much now, as i didn't realize i relied upon some flex for it to fit inside the helmet.. oh well, my strengthening method worked a little too well! live and learn.
PA200660.jpg

after this blurry shot, i got to work trimming the excess and spiky bits, i need to do abit more sanding, but that's fine. it will also be lined with foam, so long as i dont have needle sharp pieces in my face, it will be fine for my goal.
PA200661.jpg

now, i wanted to add a few external details, so i heated up the tip of a pen, and got to work adding rivet/bolt holes in accurate locations to the high res pictures.
PA210671.jpg

Now with what done, i went back to my armor vest,
one of the best parts of armor i find is making the scratches and paint chippings.
firstly i get some watered down liquid latex, and paint in all the areas i want to STAY metal.
sort of line inverted painted, i paint over what i want to keep, and leave the rest
i usually make my scratches bigger than i want, so i can thin them and distress the edges more. plus it's easier to take away than add when it comes to the next few steps.
PA180649.jpg

after dried i painted the whole suit roughly with a good base grey acrylic, and took a gum square (you can get these for a few bucks at most serious art stores) to the obviously shinyer areas (the places where i had painted the latex, as the finish on the latex will be often different to the finish on other surfaces, even with the same paint.
the latex will rub, peel or stick to the gum square pretty easy, and so long as your gentle with the square, you wont mess up the paint around it by adding wrinkles to the foam.
PA220672.jpg

Attachments

• PA180646.jpg
    PA180646.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 195
  • PA180647.jpg
    PA180647.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 209
  • PA200650.jpg
    PA200650.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 208
  • PA200658.jpg
    PA200658.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 204
  • PA200657.jpg
    PA200657.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 214
  • PA200656.jpg
    PA200656.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 182
  • PA200655.jpg
    PA200655.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 203
  • PA200651.jpg
    PA200651.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 228
  • PA200659.jpg
    PA200659.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 196
  • PA200660.jpg
    PA200660.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 217
  • PA200661.jpg
    PA200661.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 216
  • PA210671.jpg
    PA210671.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 197
  • PA180649.jpg
    PA180649.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 185
  • PA220672.jpg
    PA220672.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 201
i wasn't very careful about full coverage with the grey, as you can see. but that was quite intentional, and adds to the worn look.
PA220673.jpg

PA220674.jpg

PA220675.jpg

i'm leaving the pectorals of the armor untouched for now, as i need to add my stencils to them.
i also discovered the circular logo that goes on the left (viewer right) chest, it's the same as the design on the armor plate on the back of the hand. a circle with a clenched fist.
after that, rust, and dirt!!

Edit, working on the stencils for the armor and coat.
PA220677.jpg

Attachments

• PA220674.jpg
    PA220674.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 194
  • PA220673.jpg
    PA220673.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 212
  • PA220675.jpg
    PA220675.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 235
  • PA220677.jpg
    PA220677.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 409
sir this is looking to good i cant wait to see it all come together duster and all.

i usually want to do bigger updates, but i just finished this and i'm thinking its a good test for the stencil.
PA230678.jpg

Attachments

• PA230678.jpg
    PA230678.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 284
some nice updates, i suspect this will be a crowd pleaser.

first up, the coat is going well, i've been doing something similar to a flat felled seam (for those unaware, look at the seam along the length of your denims, its a very strong, hard looking rugged seam that will really help your pants tough out their existence)
and trying to keep as much of it accurate to the CGI trailer as possible.
PA240682.jpg

after discovering over the course of this, that airbrushes are the devil, and the most delicate and finicky pieces of equipment i've ever used, (i was almost considering animal sacrifice at one point in time)
the stencil work has been coming along well.
PA230679.jpg

so well i finished the armor.

well.. it looks good, but theres something missing... it doesn't look.. worn enough.
PA230680.jpg

much better! don't you think? i'm not done with it yet, but it's going well, if a little cartoony still.
PA230681.jpg

Attachments

• PA240682.jpg
    PA240682.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 187
  • PA230681.jpg
    PA230681.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 334
  • PA230679.jpg
    PA230679.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 254
  • PA230680.jpg
    PA230680.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 554
Ok after reading this thread and changing my pants, i just have to tell you that this latest update really just makes the whole thing. The weathering and bullet holes AND the new logos make it just ossem.

Well damn!
thanks for moving this Skullcandy!
i suppose i had better go pro for my photobucket so half my links aren't broken!

I've been following this thread since you started and i got say man this looks great. I love the foam work! keep it up, i cant wait to see it finished!!

My pleasure kommisar, just great work that needs to be seen more :)

Just to run safety, maybe posting a link to your album in your signature can help too in case the bandwidth goes bonkers again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back