Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Q's get the A's with your host BenStreeper

Hey Ben,
    Been around this forum for just shy of a couple years. I dont often ask too many questions because if you just do some recon around here, you can almost always find the answer to some degree or another. However I havent seen too much info on the "shaping and forming" process when sculpting the outside of a piece. My question is, when you are doing a piece like a helmet where you need both side to be equal to one another... Do you use some type of measuring template or do you just eyeball it?
    My Build Thread: Spartan - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit My YouTube Tutorial Channel: Cereal Kill3r Studios

I actually do both. Most of the time when I need a part to be symmetrical, I make a template for one side out of paper and then just flip it over for the other side. If I need layers to be the same height, I use a caliber or I use a router with an adjustable height setting and a locking mech. Or I make a "Jig" ( something custom made to hold the tool at a set height/angle for a specific part or cut). I try my hardest nut to have to build a "Jig" because they are just a waste after the part is complete.

3. Quote Originally Posted by UnbeknownKilroy View Post
    Also, what is the best way to make keys for a latex master mold?

2) To chop the visor of the rondoed helmet, will i require a dermel, or can one make use of a boxcutter or knife?

it does not require a dremel, but I would not do it with a box cutter. You are just asking to slice your hand that way.

as for the latex keys I dip some cheesecloth into latex, then roll it up into a ball.

Whats the next project on the horzon, Ben?

lol getting some free time. I've been slammed with work now that I have a "real" job. It's not stopping me from working on props, but it is slowing me down.

Quote Originally Posted by BenStreeper View Post
    lol getting some free time. I've been slammed with work now that I have a "real" job. It's not stopping me from working on props, but it is slowing me down.
    Agreed!
    Damn you job!
    If I had my way, I'd be in the shop all day working on props/armor.
    But... Then I would have no job... and the wife would be less than impressed... then the drinking would start...

I guess it's safer to just take the time we get!

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Killl3r View Post
    Agreed!
    Damn you job!
    If I had my way, I'd be in the shop all day working on props/armor.
    But... Then I would have no job... and the wife would be less than impressed... then the drinking would start...

I guess it's safer to just take the time we get!
    AHMEN!! lol

Hey ben, just wanted to give ya a big thanks for what you do. The videos i have seen of yours help me out a lot. Keep up the great work! Your a stand up guy, my grandma says so too lol She was watching one of your videos with me lol

9. What do you use to seal the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by C0NF1IC7 View Post
    What do you use to seal the foam?
    plasti-dip, or modge-podge