Halo Reach Assault Rifle Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe

Halo Reach Assault Rifle Build

I decided to take on a new project and I wanted to share it with the group. Most of you will recognize this weapon from the new halo reach game.

First we needed a 3d model. RSloan76 hooked me up with a beautiful rendition of the rifle, and I took the model and imported it into SolidWorks for some fine adjustments and to prepare the model for milling.

Then I setup all the tooling paths for CNC machine.

Once the tool paths are configured for all the pieces I started milling the sucker out. Check out this cool video Adam put together for me. The video really shows the process of milling and how the pieces get made.

Now that I've milled out most of the pieces its time for some finesse... The CNC machine does a great job of getting the pieces to a good working stage, but itís now up to me and some good old fashioned sandpaper and bondo to really make it come together.

The material I used is called sign foam. Itís dense urethane foam and works great for projects like this. Itís easily sanded and glued with some pvc adhesive.

After gluing up all the pieces and fine tuning the detail I'm going to try and seal it up and do some nice wet sanding to give it that nice metal texture. This is a time consuming process but I wanted to go ahead and show the progress I've made so far and I'll keep you guys up to date as the project continues.

This is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen, the detail is just incredible! and soon enough the molding requests will start pouring in. I'm assuming you plan to cast it yes ?

Total Downloaded
    Nice work dev.

Where do you source your tooling board and what density is that? The detailing on some of those smaller parts is just phenomenal.

Once again, your work is beyond reproach! Love it!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by skylow View Post
    This is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen, the detail is just incredible! and soon enough the molding requests will start pouring in. I'm assuming you plan to cast it yes ?
    I wouldn't mind getting a copy of it. When you cast it, can you PM me?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodajammies View Post
    Nice work dev.

Where do you source your tooling board and what density is that? The detailing on some of those smaller parts is just phenomenal.
    I get my sign foam locally from a place called allied plastics. They sell it in 4x8 sheets. Not sure the density, my guess is 30lbs or so @1.5 inch.. It will run you around 300 to 400 for a full sheet. But if your like me.. the stuff will last you a few projects.
    Last edited by BlueRealm; Jan 5, 2011 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skylow View Post
    Yes, once its sealed up with primer and clear coat I'll mold it.
    Last edited by BlueRealm; Jan 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM.

Total Downloaded
    Badass!!!...looking good dude!!!

OMG! It's just epic!
    Congratulations!

I have a question: Can the machine cut the wood?

Just wow, I mean wow.
    The detail, even on the Ammo counter, Fantastic! Completely Blew me away.

MY question would be; Are you going to Hollow out the Clip and flip a few 5.56 rounds into it? Just for show of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester1014 View Post
    Just wow, I mean wow.
    The detail, even on the Ammo counter, Fantastic! Completely Blew me away.

MY question would be; Are you going to Hollow out the Clip and flip a few 5.56 rounds into it? Just for show of course.

Yeah I thought about that.. Thats what Sloan did with his lancer. It was cool to pull the clip and see a few rounds in it.

Total Downloaded
    Nerdy voice: Actually it's 7.62 mm NATO Rounds. See

Like the Lancer, the problem with the Reach AR is that the magazine is longer than the actual bullets that go into them. They're both more like sniper rifle mags. Anyway, we'll figure something out.

Devin, you could test the lathe by making some bullets.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by RSloan76 View Post
    the problem with the Reach AR is that the magazine is longer than the actual bullets that go into them.
    Just something to keep in mind: The bigger problem here is actually the magazine's height. Even if you extended it all the way to the top of the weapon (which would be inaccurate, illogical and on top of that look terrible), there still wouldn't be enough room for 32 cartridges, not even in two rows - which I think is impossible as well, because the mag is too narrow for two full rows.

From the reference I've seen, the game doesn't show any cartridges in the magazine either. The best thing to do may be to evade the whole issue by adding some kind of protective cover on top, maybe something like this: Closed, Opening, Open. The magazines in the game seem to have a somewhat similar top, visible here (this one is from Juliet76's Photobucket, not from mine). You can find these flaps on the bottom of some laptops, covering the connector for the docking station. The one on mine even has almost the right size.

Total Downloaded
    Good idea. At the end of the day, it's a minor detail and not very important. We'll figure something out though.

an M4 magazine is double stacked and just a bit shorter, when double stacking a mag its not the same as side by side, the magazine only needs to be like 1/2 an inch or so, i can pull dimensions off a real one next time i meet with my friends if you need

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by box o crayons View Post
    an M4 magazine is double stacked and just a bit shorter, when double stacking a mag its not the same as side by side, the magazine only needs to be like 1/2 an inch or so, i can pull dimensions off a real one next time i meet with my friends if you need
    The M4 also fires 5.56 mm cartridges that have a 25% smaller diameter. You could probably fit 32 of these into the mag, but it would still be longer than depicted in the game.

Bottom line of what I'm saying is: You have to change something if you want to make it work in a plausible way.

just longer not really that much of a difference in diameter, the mags are not even half a centimeter smaller than the M4's, i wish i had access to an ak again to measure but one time thing.

Hm, Didn't know it was a 7.62. I was just making a guess, cause the mags make me think of the 90 round M16 mag. Never knew that kind of detail was acyually on the weapons, thanks Sloan.

Like this Weapon here is a 5.56mm
    Last edited by Jester1014; Jan 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM.

Looks like the 7.62 mm NATO Rounds would fit just fine to me. They could be single row or double stacked by my measurements.

Total Downloaded
    Theres no way you would get that many rounds in there,
    they'd have to be triple stacked, I actually had a practical idea,
    they could work like one of those box magazines for assault rifles.
    instead of being double stack, it could be a U shaped thing, where
    rounds would go down to the right, and then go around and back
    up to the left. Thats the only way i could think it werks, or downscale
    the 7.62s

Total Downloaded
    There is the quad stack magazine, found on that of the M4 Spectre and the AK series. Theres also the new gun powered magazine found on the LSAT rifle. Combining the two, I think you can have a mag that can hold 32 rounds, or even 60 like the AK quad mag, requiring very little space.
    Oh and BTW, the 7.62 NATO are rimless.
    Last edited by Tactonyx; Jan 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toacrabman View Post
    Theres no way you would get that many rounds in there,
    they'd have to be triple stacked, I actually had a practical idea,
    they could work like one of those box magazines for assault rifles.
    instead of being double stack, it could be a U shaped thing, where
    rounds would go down to the right, and then go around and back
    up to the left. Thats the only way i could think it werks, or downscale
    the 7.62s
    SURE IT DOES! Youíre forgetting one thing... It implements MP cartridge technology. The future is full of cool technology..

Quote Originally Posted by Tactonyx View Post
    Oh and BTW, the 7.62 NATO are rimless.

Yup your right... i used a 7.62 54 as reference and not the 51

So with all the rounds it just doesnt look as cool... maybe they are 3 round bullets and each round shoots three times.. : )

But for display purposes putting a few rounds on the top of the mag adds a cool geek factor of "oh look thereís bullets in it".. So we'll just have to see after Iím done making the thing if I want the impossible bullets on the prop or not. : )

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRealm View Post
    maybe they are 3 round bullets and each round shoots three times.. : )
    Even after all the technobabble I let loose I still had to laugh at that one :-D
    (And to be honest, that's also much more plausible than shooting NATO rounds in the year 2500something...)

But you made the mag longer for that last image, didn't you? When I try this on my own plans, the top four bullets are outside gun:

Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    dude this is pretty freaking awesome!!!! great job man and can`t to see more

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRealm View Post
    Yup your right... i used a 7.62 54 as reference and not the 51
    Sorry I went nerd on you, just a bad habit from noobs not knowing what a rifle round is Yeah, MP technology, She could probably cram a navel gun in that carpet bag.