Noob in need of help. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalpain88

Jr Member
I have received permission from family for construction of the UNSC marine armor from Halo 3. As some of you already know, I have a mac and can't do a darn thing about that. So therefore, I am asking help for someone with good computer skills to convert the program for adobe. But before that, do I need the pepakura to do the printing no matter what or can I use another program just to print the armor pieces.
If not to any account, then I am willing to go as far as negotiate some kind of deal for someone to print the out for me. I am willing to supply a pack of 110 pound cardboard paper as I call it.

I have received permission from family for construction of the UNSC marine armor from Halo 3. As some of you already know, I have a mac and can't do a darn thing about that. So therefore, I am asking help for someone with good computer skills to convert the program for adobe. But before that, do I need the pepakura to do the printing no matter what or can I use another program just to print the armor pieces.
If not to any account, then I am willing to go as far as negotiate some kind of deal for someone to print the out for me. I am willing to supply a pack of 110 pound cardboard paper as I call it.

dont ask someone to print it. Ask someone to turn it into a pdf. I would do that but I dont have the plugin for the pdf printer and my computer is whacked up so I cant do nothing about that.

Why don't you just try to find another computer and print it there? Friends? Library? School?

Even if you had a PDF, you would have a really hard time scaling the thing.

That's a good point, I'm sure if you supplied the paper the librarians could waive the fee.

And Ral, I have Pepakura Designer on my flash drive. You don't have to install it on their computers. I use it to show off to my freinds all the time.

And Ral, I have Pepakura Designer on my flash drive. You don't have to install it on their computers. I use it to show off to my freinds all the time.
Pepakura Designer runs without installation. As long as he can run a program from his USB Stick, he's fine :)
That's good to know. It didn't occur to me to put PD on a flash drive since I never needed to.

I am out of school since 07 and ready to send my first sci-fi for publication. As of now, we have no PC's in our house because they all have a nasty tendency to fail on us. We've been using macs since 98 with no fail. Now we have the newer ones.
I would appreciate if I could ask someone to turn the files to a PDF but I don't know who to ask really. I may sound like a total a** but I am frustrated that I can't proceed on my own without some help.
I really do appreciate the help I've been getting and I know I'm becoming annoying with the software issue but as stated, I'm getting frustrated.
As for sharing info, can it be sent via email? Mail nowadays I don't trust. Especially since the bomb scares around here in MD.
From what I learned, no matter what I need a pepakura system. But it is convertible to a PDF format. Since spreading personal info is forboden on all forums for obvious reasons and I don't know anyone building a marine armor here as of late to ask for and Ral, your phone? Isn't that risky?

I don't think anyone can just print it for you. They will need your scaling (sizes) in order to scale it. Once they scale it, they will likely have to move the pieces around so they still fit on the sheets. Then they could save it as a pdf. To save it as a .pdf. they will have to have Adobe Acrobat installed. (Or use some other driver to convert to .pdf.)

If they just printed to pdf and then sent that to you, you would have to scale the output of the .pdf and have little control over how the pieces fell on the pages and would prob'ly end up piecing the Pep pieces together.

So, get the .pdo files you want. Read up on how to scale and calculate the proper size for the pieces. Send the .pdo's and the scaling info to someone. They will have to input your scale info, move the pieces, make .pdf's. and send them back to you.

I have Acrobat and can print to .pdf. I sent you a PM to follow up.

I believe you can download a pepakura program for mac.
No, I'm afraid not (see below for specs).

Product Details
** Commodity Information

Requirements

CPU: Intel and compatible CPU
Pentium 200MHz or greater (350MHz or greater recommended)
Memory: 64MB (128MB or more recommended)
HDD: 150MB or more free space
Video Output: Resolution 800x600 pixels, 65,536 color or greater
* You need a printer to print developments.

I have a few solutions.

I am a mac user and I have had several kind members scale and convert files for me in the past. This has generally turned out well. I have heard of mac users getting pep designer/viewer to work with a free application called WINE that allows PC programs to work on a mac. Another untested option is using winebottler an open source program that can convert PC programs to work on mac. It can't convert every app but it has a high success rate. http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ I intend to try it on pep and halo custom edition as soon as I get my new mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back