Mark VI high-def foam armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey man this is amazing bro great idear to use foam i just wanna ask did you use the low def pepakura files or did you change them abit the pieces you cut out look different to the files so im just askin what did you do to it
thanks
ron

This is absolutely amazing work. Can't believe the amount detail you're getting into it.

hey man this is amazing bro great idear to use foam i just wanna ask did you use the low def pepakura files or did you change them abit the pieces you cut out look different to the files so im just askin what did you do to it
thanks
ron

I considered the high-def files first, but when I saw the sheer number of tiny parts I nearly puked on my keyboard. I thought to myself "Yuck, I'm not cutting out all those tiny little parts from foam and trying to peice them together"
So I mainly used low-def files, hence the thread title, but then I looked at the pieces and compared them to the game accurate photos and said "OMG WTF that looks soooo vanilla".
So I also printed the detail parts from HD files, matching the dimensions in the pepa-designer first. For some parts, like the cod and handplates I only used the high-def file. And finally, for the details that the pep files missed I custom made my own shapes to match and burned the detail in, or cut it from 2mm foam and glued it on. At one point I was actually holding paper up to my monitor and tracing out certain shapes from the reference photos. I have a perfectionist problem though, I'm sure there's a 12 step help group for me somewhere.

what do you use to make all the seams fit so nicely?

Mad Skillz!
Seriously,
I use a hotknife for the cut-outs so I get nice edges, then I use high temp hotglue and press hard, wait 30 seconds and pick any excess glue off with my talon-like finger nails. Caw-caw
It also helps to try and only put seams where there will be details or definition lines to hide them.

Thank you. I try to make Jorge shin with Eva mats and small hot glue gun and it didn't come out right so I will try again with hot knife an better glue gun and btw your suit is awesome and I hope mine will look almost as good as yours.

Thank you. I try to make Jorge shin with Eva mats and small hot glue gun and it didn't come out right so I will try again with hot knife an better glue gun and btw your suit is awesome and I hope mine will look almost as good as yours.

For the shins and boots I used a heat gun to shape the rounded parts before I glued them, less stress on the seams.

*UPDATE*
Finished the right thigh, only took about 5 hours and now both pieces are off to the paintshop. Here are some pics so far, and yes, that's the Rubie helmet for now until I finish the foam one.
DSC_0007.jpg

View from the back
DSC_0020.jpg

Strike a pose
DSC_0041.jpg

I think I dropped something
DSC_0045.jpg

I'm huge! Spartan Intimidator 316 is on duty
DSC_0009.jpg

Is that HQ calling?
DSC_0035.jpg

Sure is, looks like a damsel in distress
DSC_0029.jpg

But Sarge, I'm still missing parts
DSC_0038.jpg

Oh well, off I go
DSC_0053.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 153
Banged off the right shin tonight, took about 6 hours, here are some pics
Picture2431.jpg

Picture2432.jpg

Picture2433.jpg

Also forgot to post pics of the left boot, as we say in Canaduh... Whats that all aboot?
Picture2429.jpg

Picture2428.jpg

Picture2427.jpg

Almost done, one boot left, clean up the helmet and either redo the left forearm or clean it up too.

Like my Avatar says... That was easy!

Attachments

• Picture2433.jpg
    Picture2433.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Picture2432.jpg
    Picture2432.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture2431.jpg
    Picture2431.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture2428.jpg
    Picture2428.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture2427.jpg
    Picture2427.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture2429.jpg
    Picture2429.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 144
Wow - I've got to say this is one of the nicer foam build I've seen on here.
It confirms I totally have to try plasti-dip... it seems to be wonderful at hiding seams - in a previous post, you were saying you were going to try different products. Did you ??? and if you did, what were the results ???

If you're in Canada, I find that plasti-dip is not readily available (can't find it in hardware store)... so it's be great to have an alternative that works just the same.

This is awesome! You should definitely think about making a video of how exactly you achieve this level of awesome!

Wow - I've got to say this is one of the nicer foam build I've seen on here.
It confirms I totally have to try plasti-dip... it seems to be wonderful at hiding seams - in a previous post, you were saying you were going to try different products. Did you ??? and if you did, what were the results ???

If you're in Canada, I find that plasti-dip is not readily available (can't find it in hardware store)... so it's be great to have an alternative that works just the same.

Still in the testing phase, I would stick with plasti-dip for now. You can order it online, I have everything you need listed here: www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-armor

And again, thank you all for the kudos, I'm getting quite excited myself to see it finished soon! (and I don't excite easily)

just wondering, but what was the final number of foam pads you needed to use? I'm actually going to Harbor Freight today (we have a recently opened store nearby!) and was wondering how many 4-packs I should get for the suit + add-ons and weapons...

just wondering, but what was the final number of foam pads you needed to use? I'm actually going to Harbor Freight today (we have a recently opened store nearby!) and was wondering how many 4-packs I should get for the suit + add-ons and weapons...

I've used 12 sheets (3 packs) including mistakes, but not weapons. (I made a thigh to small and a boot to big)

Another update, the right boot is also finished, took about 5 hours. Legs are complete!
Here are the pics
Picture2441.jpg

We found these size 10 platforms at the thrift store for $2, perfect for the Intimidator theme
Picture2447.jpg

They fit nice and add 2" to height
Picture2448.jpg

Picture2451.jpg

Lookin good with the shins, I will probably put some kind of a spacer in between, about 2 inches
Picture2452.jpg

Picture2454.jpg

Picture2457.jpg

Attachments

• Picture2441.jpg
    Picture2441.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture2447.jpg
    Picture2447.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Picture2448.jpg
    Picture2448.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Picture2451.jpg
    Picture2451.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Picture2454.jpg
    Picture2454.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture2457.jpg
    Picture2457.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture2452.jpg
    Picture2452.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 150
Looking good man! But have you try to moon walk in them yet? hahahaha

Haha, when I was in high school break dancing was the new fad. Unfortunately for me I chose warrior and builder type for this lifetime and had to give up the ability to sing, dance or play the guitar (seriously I suck at those 3 things) Maybe I could moonwalk on a sheet of ice, but other than that I would be comic relief.

OK, on to the WIP!
This is it, the moment you've all been waiting for... (drumroll please)
THE FOAM HELM!
Picture2471.jpg

Picture2482.jpg

Picture2475.jpg

Picture2476.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt, I think I could hide some of the seams by tweaking my pattern.

Next up I am going to redo the left forearm and hopefully a tutorial video with it.

Attachments

• Picture2471.jpg
    Picture2471.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Picture2482.jpg
    Picture2482.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Picture2475.jpg
    Picture2475.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Picture2476.jpg
    Picture2476.jpg