Alternate method to power helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a thread by Ithica about his very innovative method to power armor.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30395-Method-to-power-amor...

I actually had an idea similar to this yesterday, but rather than an AI chip, it involves a Mark V helmet and a rangefinder mount. My idea was that the rangefinder mount would act as a removable with a power source, and that it would have have a positive and negative plug protruding. The helmet would have two plug-ins for the cathode and anode for the rangefinder.

If anyone here has ran gels before in biology, or used an electrophoresis gel box, it's the same concept. With a gel box, the lid has a cathode and anode plug and when you slide it on, the plugs enter the designated sockets and creates a closed circuit to allow electricity to flow.
My idea is similar. You slide the rangefinder mount (power source) onto the helmet, and it creates a closed circuit and now you have your electric installations powered up!

This could work with any kind of helmet and any kind of mount, but I would like to know what materials I would need to do this. Does anybody know? Preferably, the smaller the better.
Any feedback is appreciated.

you will need

1.) A reed switch "radioshack" 3.00
2.) 9volt battery connector
3.) 30 AWG wire
4.) Strong magbet "preferable neodymium magnets can be bought at radioshack or hobby store
5.) Your electronics
6.) Knowledge on how to wire everything

Reed switches are broken connections until its entered into a strong magnetic field once a magnet is on top of it it closes the connection and lets the power come on once removed it shuts off

Im thinking that he means to use the rangefinder as more of a battery pack, in which all the power is supplied via the 2 contacts. If so, none of the reed switch jazz would be neccecary and changing the battery on the fly would be made simple. Jamming a 9 volt battery into a rangefinder would be pretty easy, adding contacts to the helmet that aren't super obvious when its unequipped is the tricky part. You may want to try adding 2 small nails to the bottom of the rangefinder and drilling 2 small holes in the top of the helm. After that you would either have to embed 2 tight fitting nuts just under the surface or 2 metal plates. Pretty much anything metal would do. Of course it all varies on how the part is mounted, it just takes a bit of creativity.
-Gryphon

Just a thought, if you use 4 neodymium magnets to hold the range finder on (2 in the helm and 2 in the finder) you should be able to pass an electric current through the magnets ( positive on one set and negative on the other) that way you just snap it on and everything is powered up. I have 8 of these magnets holding my chest peace together and they are more than strong enough. This way all you have to do is pop it off quickly change the battery and slap it back on the helm, they will self align with each other and can be done while still wearing the helm. Ford uses the same thing on the sliding doors to their minivans.

Magnets are a great idea, however I'm a bit iffy on whether or not 2 sets of magnets on their own are enough to keep the range finder from sliding off. Your head tends to make more sudden movements than a chestpiece. Solving that problem is as easy as shaping the RF to fit the helmet grooves or just adding a peg.
-Gryphon

The rangefinder wouldn't be THAT heavy, and you'd be surprised how strong magnets can be. I like the idea of the reed switch more though, because its less "magnet/battery/electricity/all-in-one"ish.

yeah, if you are talking about rare-earth magnets, you will have no problem with 4 1/2 inch disk magnets holding your stuff on

McMaster's got the best! w00t!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back