How I model a helmet (vid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dung0beetle

This is long and boring, but it was done by request. I'm not really good at teaching others to do things, but I figure this is better than me trying to explain things.
This was shot all at once with no break so I was modeling the whole thing with no break. The model could be better, but the process it pretty much how I model for pepakura. Of course, differently shaped helmets would use a different process/tools etc. but some of you wanted to know my modeling process. I would use 3ds Max or Maya, but there is too much to clean up for pep in my experience. I could be doing it wrong, but whatever :p.
Apologies for the low quality, I had to make the file small enough to upload.
The audio is out of sync in places also. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this. I've always wanted to model a helmet. Do you mind telling what
3d program that this?

read the opening text: milkshape 3d

BTW: thanks DB! nice tut! ( i havn't watched it all, but so far it's good)

still cracking the milkshape i see :)

This program is one of the reasons i started modeling. My nephew used to make some stuff for it back when we all played quake. Looks like it had a few updates since then.
Oh and great modeling, but can't you make it yourself more easy when you extrude 2 verts at the same time? So you pull a full polygon instantly?
I don't know a thing about this program so i have no clue.

still cracking the milkshape i see :)

This program is one of the reasons i started modeling. My nephew used to make some stuff for it back when we all played quake. Looks like it had a few updates since then.
Oh and great modeling, but can't you make it yourself more easy when you extrude 2 verts at the same time? So you pull a full polygon instantly?
I don't know a thing about this program so i have no clue.
Milkshape isn't very "intuitive" when it comes to extrusions. It's a very basic modeling tool, but I love it for that reason. I also model in 3ds Max and Maya, but mostly only for high poly models. When I'm feeling lazy and want to cut a clean hole in a part, I'll use max, but I like the simplicity of Milkshape and Metasequoia.
Milkshape has a few plugins that extend the software a great deal. If you are a 3ds max modeler, you should look into trying some of these plugins. A combination of some of these can turn Milkshape into a totally different modeling tool.
For pepakura modeling, it is my go-to app. It's cheap and easy to learn.

I'm going to start recording most of my modeling projects, because making this tut has enabled me to see my mistakes faster. I'll post some more vids later.

Im glad I asked you to do this..... its very helpfull and I am sure the rest of the community appreciates you taking your time out to do it

MIlkshape? Jeebus, now thats a blast from the past. I wonder if my milkshape forum ID is still valid? It's been like 10? years since I was last there. Excellent video tutorial Dungbeetle, I am sure it will inspire many new modellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back