GunGryphon's Long Term Warthog Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGryphon

Jr Member
GunGryphon's Long Term Warthog Build (Pic Heavy)

As the title implies, yes, I am indeed building a warthog.

Heres the plan: I'm creating a tube-frame body of the hog in my fabrication class this year and then I'll be splicing it together with an existing vehicle next year in my automotive class. I will be using the summer break to accumulate funds to buy the existing vehicle and any other materials I will need to complete the car body.

I used blender to make an exact 3D model of my frame that im drawing all my measurements from. Heres the design:
framepicks.jpg

I began construction around mid december in my shop class and here is where I am sofar.
framesofar.jpg

framesofar2.jpg

framesofar3.jpg

I've designed the rig to be able to fit onto most jeep/suv/land rover frames so that I will be able to select the best (and cheapest) vehicle down the road. Also, its only a mater of cutting and welding if somthing needs to be changed.
Hope everyone enjoys whats to come.
-Gryphon

WEEKLY UPDATE #1
Ive been a bit busy this week, as such I've only been able to get the left side rail and half of the right one welded in place.
I've also changed the design on the rails a little because I had some extra tubing.
DSCF2226.jpg

DSCF2227.jpg

DSCF2228.jpg

Ill be posting these updates each friday so be sure to check out this thread often.
Im always open to feedback or questions so ask away and I'll be happy to help :D
-Gryphon

This has got to be one of my dream builds, but I have no knowledge of cars whatsoever.

That is pretty much every Halo fan's dream build. Also, you don't have to have much car knowledge, you have to have building knowlwdge. This is pretty much a cosmetic upgrade, and I don't think he is planning on doing any major mechanical mods.

Keep up the good work GunGryphon.

In all actuallity its basically just a body swap. However it still requires a great deal of automotive mechanics to succsessfully splice them together without compromising any of the systems. With things like adjusting the suspension for the weight difference and reconfiguring the controls/steering columb to fit the new drivers seat. Having it as a class project is such an asset, as theres always a reserved time to work on it so it dos'nt get placed on the back burner.

As for mechanical mods, there is actually one thing I would particularly want to do. if money permits I want to buy anouther front end steering/suspension assembly and flip it around and mount it in back. That way, it will have the 4 wheel steering of the weta hog. But again, thats only if I can afford it.
-Gryphon

QUOTE=GunGryphon
As for mechanical mods, there is actually one thing I would particularly want to do. if money permits I want to buy anouther front end steering/suspension assembly and flip it around and mount it in back. That way, it will have the 4 wheel steering of the weta hog. But again, thats only if I can afford it.
-Gryphon[/QUOTE]

Hey just thought this mite be useful to you... too get some idea's...
:)

Oh and great job by the way looking realy good....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
WEEKLY UPDATE #2
Sorry, no pictures this week, i forgot to bring my camera to the shop on friday. It's also a bit late due to the crazy weekend that ive been having.
Anyway, I've finished the right cabin side rail and have added the 2 support struts that go on each side of the truck bed (the parts attached to outer rail of the bed).

Im hoping to have the fender rail completed to the front of the cabin by the end of next week.

Have Fun-
-Gryphon

UPDATE:
For those who may ask why i have waited a few weeks to update, its because i had to wait to get my camera back from my brother. Anyhow, I've finished the tube frame except for the front area.
DSCF2324.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

Thats as far as the tube frame goesfor the present time, Its currently in my back yard under a tarp waiting for when i get the money to get a vehicle or the metal to plate it.
As thus, this project will be mostly dormant until the end of summer, but fear not, for it shall be completed.
I'll be able to kick it back into high gear (literally) once summer ends, I'll have everything I need to get this thing driving.
Even though there really wont be much progress, feel free to ask questions or leave comments :D
-Gryphon

Sheetmetal is going to be the dominant building material as it is still relatively light weight and is easier for me to work with. It's easy to tack weld the sheets on, can be hammered into curves, and is easier to repair than fiberglass. Some areas where theres alot more curvature I may do what ADOR is doing on his awsome build with the metal mesh and foam.
-Gryphon

Very cool
I have family who always wanted to build this car or that. I want to do this the other way. buy a wrecked body and use the frame to build up a nice high suspension frame, just need to figure out what vehicle works for tire width etc.

Can't wait to see what comes later :)

Good luck!

i think the 4 wheelw ill be the hardest part, i'd love a jeep/truck with that
I dont think that would be the hardest part, as im a pretty good mechanic with accsess to a pretty good shop. The real problem is affording it all, as a 2nd front axel/steering assembly is probably going to cost as much as the used car itself. If I can stumble upon a spare axel assembly then I would definatly add it on.
Thanks for all the comments :)
-Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back