Liam's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamthedevastator

**I was going to do this in a blog, but those are so full of spam that nobody would be able to find my WIP postings. Unfortunately I won't be working quick, but I'll do everything I can to keep this current to avoid going necro.**

Well I bit the bullet after 4 years of lurking (I know, late to the party. I can explain later) and got started on my ODST. I'll be using mostly Hugh's files, but I decided to use the partial torso file from the All-In-One Pepakura Pack. Here's what I have so far:

P7061057.jpg

As you can see it's sitting even on the stool, ergo no back! I'm toying with the idea of leaving the back "incomplete" for some extra mobility, then just covering it up with hanging armour pieces.

Important Question: Does it look too small so far? I am considering remaking it to be a bit larger...

P7061055.jpg

P7061054.jpg

By the way, everybody should own a pair of Cutco Scissors. You cut with them then take them apart for easy cleaning, but they work great for scoring.

P7061052.jpg

More updates in the near future; first WIP!

Subscribed! Haha. there are newer and more detailed torso's (no offense SKG and the WETA-modelling crew) that you could build and not have to use as much bondo, pretty clean pepping though.

Subscribed! Haha. there are newer and more detailed torso's (no offense SKG and the WETA-modelling crew) that you could build and not have to use as much bondo, pretty clean pepping though.

The reason I'm using that torso is because there are a lot of armour pieces that surround it and I plan to have strapping going right over my shoulders/traps. I know there are higher detailed pep models but to be honest I don't really like them. Lots of work that just ends up getting bondoed over.

Later tonight I'll try to have shoulders (or at least 1) done as an update as well as some more info on what my whole plan is. Like I've said before, never done a WIP thread before so this is all very foreign to me.

*Update 01-26-2011*

Sorry for the double post. Finished one of the shoulders...I'd just like to say that I hate hot glue. Burns on 3 fingers, 1 blister, peeling skin. I may go buy a half litre of contact cement for the rest of this build.

Anywho, here's the piece. I used yellow paper!

P7071060.jpg

As a result of my frustration with the hot glue I have a couple of places that look like this:

P7071061.jpg

But in the end, this is how things are looking so far!

P7071065.jpg

P7071066.jpg

Should I continue and make another shoulder? I was thinking of switching to something Lo-Res. I plan on doing most of my detail work after the glassing portion of this build.

Nice work Jeff! (I'm calling you Jeff from now on). That shoulder looks good, suits well. Do another shoulder and don't worry about a low-res one, that'll work fine and you can put in other details later if you want to. Keep up the good work.

lol nice marketing with the cutco man i still have my kit from when i used to sell them in high school and nice pep it looks very smooth

UPDATE 3

Well, it's been a tough week for me and work is getting hard to come by again so I've been slow. I know it doesn't make sense, but I work better when I have a schedule.

Anyways, finished the other shoulder and the biceps, so this is what I have so far:

P7171087.jpg

The Biceps were a little warp-ed so I attached some bamboo skewers as a basic support structure that I'll remove after I've fibreglassed.

P7171091.jpg

I've also run into a little dilemma with my basic chest piece. I'm stuck between sticking with what I have or switching to Hugh's model.

Hughsback.png

Should I switch over? Ultimately the quality will be better but I like the idea of a freer chest and back. Also, I picked up "waxed" resin. The fellow mentioned something about acetone and stuff, but none of it clicked for me. Any ideas what it means?

jonboy90: thanks mate, my girlfriend is a Cutco saleswoman and we bought the big set at the very beginning of her career and ended up with super awesome scissors. They leave a weird perforated-ish pattern along the edges.

Anyways, thats it for now! More to come in the next few days/weeks. Thinking of starting on the gauntlets; any input?

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
well this is looking good m i choose to go with hugh's files for 90% of my build but for my core i built it out of foam. if u want to see how i did mine check in my signature.....

See Jeff! The people like you and this thread is now officially semi-busy! Yay! Woo! And other celebratory noises!

well this is looking good m i choose to go with hugh's files for 90% of my build but for my core i built it out of foam. if u want to see how i did mine check in my signature.....

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. By the way sweet helmet, you're sanding/smoothing job is legendary. That's the kind of detail I'm looking to get.

As for the foam chest, I think it's a great idea. Does it give a lot of flex?

And Scott, you are very correct! I like how the people who are working on ODST tend to comment and support other ODSTs.

yep i can move rather good in it and its alot lighter then fiberglass and bondo trust me on that one.

i would recomend not using bondo for very much casting. its heavy as a bitc........ ummmm... female dog, and burns like hell if you get it stuck to your leg. (Dont ask how i know that. *Shudders from memory*)

@Hell Razer: Bondo for casting? I wasn't quite planning on casting this in anything really :p

@Spartan-005: Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to stick with what I have now and upgrade it once I have the suit made. I want to do as little back-tracking as possible to keep up some semblance of momentum.

As for the Cutco comment, what do you use? I'm just curious :) I personally like being able to use my scissors to cut, then use one half as a stylus for scoring.

My near-future planning includes a few things now. There is a workbay at the rowing club I'm coaching at so I'm going to try to gain access to that for my fibreglassing because its too cold here for outdoors stuff. Once I have the shoulders and biceps fibreglassed I'll do my bondo stage - which I plan to keep pretty thin - and then start making accent pieces out of metal or some other material. I like the idea of aluminium sheets because they are light and shiny ( I like shiny).

I am planing on using casting resin on the inside of my odst build (when I get round to it) but I cant find any fibre glass and i hear that bondo can make the model heavy any suggestions for the noob? this is my first build.

Jeff's not been on the forums for a while, please check the dates of threads before you necro post.

Just because he hasnt been here for a while doesnt mean hes gone for good. Maybe a little more interest in our fellow members is needed to keep us all here? The site is still struggling after the attack and a few parts do not work quite right. I for one will show interest in my unit. Whether they have been away for a while or not. If someone does good works they deserve the recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back