Bungie concept artist blogs huge collection of unpublished art, offers it to 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Bungie concept artist Issac Hannaford blogs his enormous collection of unpublished Halo concept art, offers it up to the 405th Infantry!

I just stumbled across this today via unrealitymag.com. I haven't seen or heard it anywhere, so it might be noteworthy. In early January 2011 Bungie concept artist Issac Hannaford started a blog, and has been uploading entire galleries of unpublished and high resolution files of his concept artwork from the development of Halo: Reach, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo 3. This artwork spans the development of the iconic characters and weapons that populate the modern age Halo universe.

What's more incredible that that? He's offered up this enormous gallery of source material to "to the talented creators/sculptors/artists over at the 405th Infantry" and added " I hope they might find some use or inspiration from them" Incredible!!!! He's doing this for the costume making fan community!

Speaking personally, I think this is unprecedented and astounding to see a game studio artist offer up his collection directly to the fans that crave it. To be able to browse through his portfolio of concept design and finished illustrations and watch the armor, weapons, and environments taking shape, to see alternate and cutting room floor concepts that never made it into the games.. it is a treasure trove.
But don't take my word for it, go browse through the mother lode yourself: http://www.isaachannaford.com/

Many thanks Issac, the 405th Infantry salutes you!!!

ih_jun_helmet.jpg
ih_newmarine01helmet_ortho.jpg
ih_assault_rifle02.jpg
ih_chief01b.jpg
ih_flood_in_voi_08b.jpg
ih_covenant_army01b.jpg
ih_odst_trade01.jpg
I gotta go change my pants!​

-S​

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe to show thanks someone could make one of his concepts...or better yet, make it a community thing (sigs, video, etc.) with said concept and send it to him. my vote would go to the helmet on the 15th pic, 5th in sequence

I love the weapon's variations, most of all the extended barrel and tube for the shotgun. I might do that on mah shotgun build.

Way ahead of you in terms of making one of his concepts come to life. I spotted Issac's work about 2 weeks ago when I discovered his blog, and instantly fell in love with his marine armour concept. I'm currently working on sculpting the helmet and working on the neck guard and chest plate. I'll be adding a practical military-style effect by modifying some of he armours design, but in the end it should look very similar.

I'll be posting progress pictures in my UNSC ACR Trooper Armour WIP thread when I have adequate progress on the helmet/neck guard/chest plate.

A huge thank-you to Issac for posting his work for us to use as inspiration. I’m sure we will do his concepts justice.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

This is my dream job. I love concept art. :) all of these are just beautiful. I really like the 5 helmets on page 1. The very last one looks amazing. I would love to build that one. I might have to get 3ds MAX

Everything he's got so far, sorry this is gonna be multiple posts

ih_spartanhelmet01e.jpg

ih_sniperrifle01d.jpg

ih_skull_helmet01b.jpg

ih_shotgun01b.jpg

ih_rosenda_helmet01b.jpg

ih_rocketlauncher.jpg

ih_reconmultiplayerhelmet.jpg

ih_onyx_cover.jpg

ih_ODSTdos.jpg

ih_ODSTc.jpg

ih_ODST_01.jpg

ih_odsttrade01.jpg

ih_odstman02c.jpg

ih_odstcover01g.jpg

ih_odst04b02.jpg

ok so I'm an engineer by education, how do you go about becoming a concept artist. Like what qualifications would you need to have?

ok so I'm an engineer by education, how do you go about becoming a concept artist. Like what qualifications would you need to have?

I'm assuming you'd send Bungie (or whatever company you have in mine) an e-mail/letter saying "I would like to work as a concept artist ofr your company, here are some sample products:". However, it seems more likely then not such a request would happen commonly, and not always be answered with the answer you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back