Hyper's Hayabusa build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, that i do not envy the hayabusa builds, those look like a pain in the rear end to build. good job, and keep up the fantastic work

How do you plan on getting the shape to stay and keep in position while hardening? I wanna do a recon MP character and getting a chest permutation to stay seems difficult.

I just tape the permutation to the chest then harden it with resin while its attached to the chest once it cures you can remove the perm and it retains the shape then just do the hardening on the back and its ready for body work

This is the perm taped on just before resin I didn't take any pics after but the perm is hardened resined on the outside and hardened with smooth cast on the back
DSC04353.jpg

Today I finally finished the bondo process on the chest , got everything smoothed out, the Hayabusa chest perm covers most of the front of the MKVI chest so I only had to do bondo work where MKVI is exposed, I glued/epoxied the Busa chest perm to the MKVI chest so now Im almost at the point where I left off before I found out the last chest was to small I should have the bondo work on the chest perm done by tomorrow I hope

Here is the chest with the busa perm glued/epoxied to the MKVI chest, Building this the second time is a lot easier and going quicker, I learned a few shortcuts from the last time I did this
DSC04359.jpg

Learned a lesson today, keep track of your little pep'd hardened pieces and don't just lay them around, I heard a crunch under my foot and this is what went crunch the little perm attachment thingy, it was hardened and cracked and can't be salvaged, now I have to pep it again and do the resin process over again darnit won't do that again
DSC04363.jpg

Finally acomplished something, after 4 thin coats of bondo and lots of spot putty to fill in the little imperfections, and tons of sanding I finally got the Hayabusa chest piece all nice and smooth, now im about where I last left off when I was working on the last chest, I didn't add all of the little Busa parts yet, it was starting to get dark I'll add those in a day or two, I still have to resin the clip thing I stepped on the other day, hopefully I will have this chest all finished in a few days also, I also added in some detail on the front of the boat shaped thing on the Busa chest part, its kin of hard to see in the picture but it looks better than just being smooth and flat

After sanding and Bondo this is the end result
DSC04365.jpg

oh ho ho ho k, stop messing with us. what magic are you using to get that piece so smooth in two days.

fenominal man, excellent work

oh ho ho ho k, stop messing with us. what magic are you using to get that piece so smooth in two days.

fenominal man, excellent work

LOL, Bondo and tons of sanding and did I mention sanding I swear Im having sanding dreams now. anyways thanks for the comments

Finally got a chance to work on my chest piece again, I managed to get the rest of the Busa chest perm parts attached, all I have to do now is a few detail parts and get the neck collar sanded and attached to the chest, In the pic I have it primed with white primer, After looking at it I have decided to change the color of my armor from red to white, I just think it looks more subdue and less flashy what do you guys think
DSC04366.jpg

For the past few nights I pep'd out new thighs and shins, I know I already had these parts made but looking more closely at them I forseen my future and it included lots of bondo work to round them out and remove the warping in them, I hate bondo work so less bondo work makes me happy, anyways this time I edited unecessary folds on the tabs and creases giving me rounder and smoother pieces also I doubled up the cardstock on the parts that warped inwards on the last pieces during the resin process, and since I have more experiance with the hardening process I know these will turn out alot better
DSC04373.jpg

Also I have decided to redo my shoulder biceps parts again, this time Im building them without the MKVI pouldrens this will make it alot easier for me to attach the busa shoulders with a method I have in mind, attaching them to the MKVI shoulders will make them stick out to far so I believe this is the way to go, still have to pep the left side will do that tonight
DSC04374.jpg

Thanks for checking this all out

The chest is looking excellent! Looking forward to seeing how you attach the pauldrons to the Mark VI shoulders. Keep up the great work, you're undoubtedly going to have one badass Spartan suit when you're finished!

sorry, very nooby question, how did you get your armor so smooth?Did you use Rondo and a dremel grinding tool?Anyway,you are doing an amazing job on your armor,GREAT WORK!

Finally almost done with the Chest, I know its a little shiney but I will take care of that when I weather everything, I have it taped together cuz I still need to put the strapping in, I have it just haven't had a chance to get to it, I still have a few black details to add to the front and in the center top part of the back, the neck collar velcros on because I cut it towards the back so I can slide my neck through and it goes over the back part so when attaching the front and back together it will get in the way
DSC04378.jpg

Back of the torso
DSC04383.jpg

My Shins are almost done just a little more sanding and they are done
DSC04384.jpg

I couldn't fit my big foot through to get the shins on so I had to cut the backs out now the go on easy this is how I did it, I cut the back part out where my foot got stuck with a dremel then I epoxied a hinge in tomorrow I will throw some fiberglass over the hinges to help secure it the epoxy is holding on pretty good but I just want to make sure, I will make those clamp buckle things on the game model with velcro on them to hold the piece shut
DSC04385.jpg

Close up of the hinge
DSC04388.jpg

Started messing with the helmet, cut the visor out and started sanding the resin bumps down also not in the pictures are the new shoulders still sanding and the thigh pieces will take pics of those later
DSC04392.jpg

Thanks for checking this out Im finally getting close to finishing still need to paint the forearms and cod piece white they are still red

Got the shins painted with their final paint job, still need to paint the black detail stuff and weather them but I'll do that later also need to make the velcro strap things to hold the hinged back parts of the shins shut. Also been working on the helmet, did lots of sanding and bondo work, so far I have 8 hours in sanding and bondo work and still have probably 2 or 3 more hours left of sanding, it all looks smooth and I probably could get away with the way it looks now but I think the Hayabusa helmet is the main focal point on the whole set of armor, so everybody will notice it first so Im going to try and get it close to perfect as I can, so if any of you out there love to sand and get around all the nooks and crannies that the busa helmet has, and forgot to mention the spikes when hardened have a tendency to stab you in the legs when your sanding, then build one of these bad boys It will take care of all your sanding addictions.

Here is the shins painted still need the black details painted
DSC04403.jpg

Front of the busa helmet
DSC04398.jpg

Top of the helmet, very fun to sand BTW
DSC04397.jpg

Side of the helmet, as you can see still have to smooth out the resin bumps under the top part of the visor area
DSC04401.jpg

Back view of the helmet just wanted to show all the hard parts to sand behind the crown, plus they are sharp and pointy, still have to sand the rear band area then the rear is finished
DSC04402.jpg

Also the thighs are currently being sanded also not so much work to do on them, I didn't take pics of those yet but they should be done by the middle of next week, also finally got the boots pep'd also no pics of those either, I will post another update next week hopefully for any of you who may be following my thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back