MrPinski's Daft Punk Guy Manuel Helmet (Tron-Discovery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrpinski

Jr Member
So I want to first introduce myself. My name is Igor and I have been making costumes for the past 5 years and and like many of you, I am a member of the RPF. Under the wing of Tmccarty23 I have been building this helmet for about 2 weeks now and since this is my first build, I would like to share what I have and open myself up to suggestions and criticisms. I would also like to send a special thanks out to Dung0beetle for the 3D design and unfold! The scale is 280mm and I am 5'10" Here we go...
THE PEP BUILD!
IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

RESIN!
IMG_22311.jpg

IMG_22321.jpg

BONDO!
IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_22871.jpg

IMG_22881.jpg

IMG_23251.jpg

IMG_23261.jpg

A BIT MORE SANDING...
IMG_23591.jpg

IMG_23601.jpg

VACCFORMER MADE!
IMG_23621.jpg

Love the vacuumformed visor! I didn't know it was that "easy" (perhaps it's a bit harder than it looks) but that setup seems very straight to the point. Did you build it yourself? :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! The visor is made of 1/16th" acrylic and did get a little thinner when it was stretched over the visor form. I did make the vaccuformer myself. And the Visor is blue because acrylic sheets come with a protective film on them to keep them from scratching before the customer gets them and is finished working with it. It does come off after you're done (even after vaccuforming) I know this because all the 3 failed attempts that I had all peeled off without a problem! Thanks again guys! If you know of any tips you might wanna shoot over my way, I am very open to them!

Very good work on this one. I think it is easily one of the cleanest visors I've seen in a while. I think an EVA should be in the future. : D

Thanks for the feedback guys! The visor is made of 1/16th" acrylic and did get a little thinner when it was stretched over the visor form. I did make the vaccuformer myself. And the Visor is blue because acrylic sheets come with a protective film on them to keep them from scratching before the customer gets them and is finished working with it. It does come off after you're done (even after vaccuforming) I know this because all the 3 failed attempts that I had all peeled off without a problem! Thanks again guys! If you know of any tips you might wanna shoot over my way, I am very open to them!

That's very interesting. That stuff is usually just held on by static right? It's interesting that it doesn't bubble up (which makes sense because there is no adhesive there).

I must say, this is turning into an awesome build. I was scratch building one, but the shape wasnt right. Anyways, great job so far.

So... I've decided to redo the ear pucks... I didn't like the way they looked at first and this is the progress so far! (took one out of Volpin's playbook!)
IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

So I went camping this weekend... And my dad thought it would be cool to give my helmet to a painter buddy of his to get some color on this thing... It's not the right color, nor was I done shaping it fully, so it's not totally done but still cool to see some color on it I guess... Thanks Dad. :)
IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

I know your not finished yet, but it looks absolutely amazing. Have you given the electronics any thought? Keep it up!

Thank you! I think of the electronics every day!!! haha. I just don't have the skills to make the boards and all of that. I don't want to do the LED light's from Tron... I want to do that lights from Discovery but I need to commission someone for the job. But I don't want to spend more than $250 for sure. I have found a couple of guys to do it for $500 but that seems like too much.

So I had nothing to do so I painted the visor....
IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Me MAMA
IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

Me
IMG_2724.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.