fiberglass alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also is spray paint toxic enough to where u need a respirator cuz if not then my parents or should I say my dad is too strict to let me use it while alone

Spray paint out of a regular aerosol can? I'm sure some people here will tell you to use a respirator, but I never have. For me, the fumes are just not nearly as strong as from other materials like resin or Bondo.

Check in CUJO133's threads. He was using an item called styrospay that seemed non-toxic. Ill have to double check the threads he posted for the info. Also its easy to use since it uses a 1 to 1 ratio.

Smooth cast 321 works great but it cost about $100 for a Gal. and it what I'm using for my build. you have about a 10 min. work time with this and it layers very fast.You need allot of gloves and brushes for this stuff. side note they do make a latex spray paint also.

I know this has nothing to do with a fiberglass alternative but apparently I have everything I need except the fiberglass. I was going through our tool box and found safety goggles and a respirator. I wtfed as soon as i saw it an. Also is spray paint toxic enough to where u need a respirator cuz if not then my parents or should I say my dad is too strict to let me use it while alone

Just to make sure we're all talking about the same stuff here, this is fibreglass:

th_18102010215.jpg th_18092010083.jpg

Note that it's solid and does not significantly hurt you unless you start cutting it and inhale the particles.

Also, I still don't think there's any harm in letting somebody help you. If you need the help then it'll benefit your model, and if not, you can prove that and possibly work alone in the future.

smoothcast 321&320 [...] in the vid i watched a while back he said you can even do it indoors(workshop etc).

Polyurethane resins ARE harmful by inhalation and Smooth-On's MSDS for Smoothcast 320/321/322 suggests using respirators. Of course, it says "[use] if ventilation is not sufficient", but unless you have some kind of exahust system installed, there will not be sufficient ventilation to stay below the permitted exposure level.

But you do have a respirator now so if your parents are still cool, buy some filters for it to be sure it's still working!

Getting new filters is a very good idea, because these things start to die once unpacked, even while not in use. Also can't hurt to have spare filters around.

You should also use that respirator for spray painting (would be stupid not to when it's lying around anyways). To do so, you'll need filters for both organic vapours and particles. If it's a 3M mask, you can probably attach particle filters to the cartridges with special plastic brackets.

You can use 321 in place of resin to seal the outside of the piece before slushing it with 320. However, I'd rather use resin, as it's a little cheaper than 321.

correct but smoothcast is less toxic than resin, but i'm with you hickeydog i like resin better

My 3M mask has washable filters. Once they fill up with particles and other crud you can rinse them out and they are as good as new. YOu might want to see if yours does this.

JUMP YOU,
are we sure he's even a he
but seriously a good cheap fume free method if i get sick off windx i don't want to find out what fiber glass fumes will do.
a friend suggested like a fume box kinda thing to do the work in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back