Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbyWanKenobi

Jr Member
A couple of months ago I decided to go ahead and try this pepakura stuff, though I wasn't so crazily enthused about it. To cut to the chase, I love it now, even though it's so time consuming, it's definitely fun!
Anyway, my first MC helmet was a mess, so I just finished another one up this week, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to go buy all the shenanigans and such tomorrow.
But I figured, hey, why don't I go ahead and post a thread, and hopefully get some pointers on my stuff?
I shall be updating this as I go along, with pictures. I'm really OCD and a perfectionist, so don't be expecting anything less-than-awesomesauce.
-That sounded pretty conceited. >insert excuse here<
Ah well, enough with the cheap talk, time to get down to business!
-Oh, and I will be making another suit after I finish this one. Wonder how many girlfriends make MC suits for their boyfriends...?

helm.jpg

^(Left) New (Right) Old
^My new one looks a little crooked, shall be no problem.

helm1.jpg

^(Left) New (Right) Old

helm2.jpg

^(Left) New (Right) Old

Told you my first helmet sucked. XD
That's it for now. I'll post more pics after I resin!

Hello!

Looks to be coming together fairly well, although I'm fairly new to all this too! I think people attach the visors to the pep while they're building it to keep the whole thing a bit more rigid until it's been strengthened with fibreglass/bondo/whatever, which might help stop it from going crooked.

Got the helmet ready to resin!
photo2.jpg

Applying the resin
photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

I apologize for the pictures being blurry. I have a first gen iPhone, so the camera isn't so good.
But that's it so far! I'll fiberglass tomorrow :)

Looking good. Umm for the sake of your health you might want to get a respirator. Those masks help but not nearly as good as a respirator.

good job on the pep. However i think you should be a bit concerned over your health and get an organic respirator. or at the very least be in a ventilated area with a fan blowing the fumes away from you.

Thanks for the concern, guys! I've got the doors and windows open with the fan going, but I'll go pick up a respirator tomorrow.

They all look really good, my first time making a helmet SUCKED but I'm working on making it work. Like the other two said you should put health first, a well ventilated area, a respirator, and some old clothes that way they can get ruined and you wouldn't care.

They all look really good, my first time making a helmet SUCKED but I'm working on making it work. Like the other two said you should put health first, a well ventilated area, a respirator, and some old clothes that way they can get ruined and you wouldn't care.
For sure! I'll pick up that respirator tomorrow

very great job so far, keep up the fantistic work and i would recommend using a resperator kinda cheap depending on where you buy them, i got mine for 20 bucks :D
well keep up the great work :D

you ma'am have stolen my word...awesomesauce, i would like compansation for said action, the copyright fee is 25 cents thankyou...........just kidding great work on the helmet!! and i dont want to sound like a nagger but really get a respirator, i got mine from harbor freight for 15 dollars =] im only looking out for your health, if you have any questions feel free to pm me

Thanks guys! I think I'll hold off on buying a respirator for now because the weather is getting warm and I can just do it outside with the mask, but I'll buy one soon for when I use it inside.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Just because you are outside does not make using resin safe, maybe if you only had two or three applications, you would "be ok" but you're going to be doing at least 8 (and thats going fast) if not more layers on the helmet + every single other piece of armor you build.

A 25$ respirator can save your life, don't skimp on safety. If you can smell the resin, it is damaging your lungs.
For your own sake, please go get a respirator ASAP.

Sorry if that seems a little crazy, but I have to insist.

Make sure you get an organic one too, the dust mask your wearing literally does zilch to protect you, again, if you can smell it you aren't protected. at all

Onto your project, nice pepping, keep up the good work, definitly keep the "visor" in till you get at least 3 coats of resin in to prevent unfortunate warping :(
What sort of color scheme were you thinking?

I know we're starting to sound like a broken record, but I'd still recommend a respirator, even if you work outside. It's simply the proximity to the work that makes it harmful, even if there's a breeze. One of the main reason that its preferrable to resin outside is so that the fumes don't linger indoors and you don't keep breathing them in like you would if you worked inside. But just because you're outside doesn't mean you're safe from the fumes.

I also thought to myself "Do I really need a respirator?"

Then I thought the following:
Woudl I rather
A. Spend $20-$30 on a respirator?
or
B. Spend thousands of dollars on hospital bills?

It was a no brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back