Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see you back... so glad this project isn't abandoned! I took your advice and started a whole suit of my own =D

Nice to see you back... so glad this project isn't abandoned! I took your advice and started a whole suit of my own =D

Definitely not abandoned, just put on hold!
I'm glad to hear that! I'll make sure to keep an eye on your thread! c: I enjoy your progress so far, I'm excited to see more!

-------------
IMAG0855-1.jpg

Well, I thought I'd just go ahead and post what I've been doing, so there's no absence to my progress. I know this picture doesn't show much, but the front top of the helmet is what I've been working with a lot. I'm slowly making my way around, getting out all the tiny scratches. I used some fine sandpaper and now it feels so silky smoooooth! The edges around the brim are nice and crisp. I'm excited to get working on the detail soon. I'd post more pictures, but I'm a self-conscious being, so I'll save that for later.
Anyway, I'm glad to be back working on the suit, and even though I don't know how regularly I will work on it, at least I am!

Stay frosty guys, I shall return.

really starting to come along great. currently working on M45 shotgun, MA37 and the sniper rifle (no threads yet), and hoping that my stuff even comes close to your quality of work. We same age, yet you so much better. arghh jealous. Asides, keep up good work

really starting to come along great. currently working on M45 shotgun, MA37 and the sniper rifle (no threads yet), and hoping that my stuff even comes close to your quality of work. We same age, yet you so much better. arghh jealous. Asides, keep up good work

Why, thank you! Good luck on your weapons, my friend.

---------

An update long overdue. I'm not dead!

Practice boot pep done!
Practice shin pep done!

Click picture for larger view.

(Three piece boot)
th_IMAG1444.jpg
th_IMAG1443.jpg
th_IMAG1442.jpg
th_IMAG1441.jpg

th_IMAG1434.jpg
th_IMAG1433.jpg
My dog sat on the top of the shin piece when I was just starting on it, and though it was only a practice pep, I wasn't up for taking a front picture of the warpage. Abby doth not fathom warpage.

Trying to swing back into working on the armor... and it seems to be working! Wish me luck on some more motivation, for there shall be more to come - I'm just not sure when that'll be. I'll print the correct scaling on the shins tomorrow and make some head-way on that, though.
"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

As for the helmet, I've been sanding a bit here and there. It's getting cold again, so I'll put together a nice set-up indoors.

Stay frosty!

This spartan shall not be abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice progress!! I'm on my helmet too but I need to glass it now. So good luck on your armor! I'm definately subscribing to this thread!

Nice to see that your back into the swing of things.
So sad about the dog sitting on your shin... Maby the doggy is getting bored and wants to help with your awesome project.

Excellent progress Abby!

:)

Nice progress!! I'm on my helmet too but I need to glass it now. So good luck on your armor! I'm definately subscribing to this thread!

That's awesome! Good luck c: and thank you.

Nice to see that your back into the swing of things.
So sad about the dog sitting on your shin... Maby the doggy is getting bored and wants to help with your awesome project.
Excellent progress Abby!

:)

Got that right! Silly dogs. Thanks, Longshot!

------------------
Update:
------------------

I just finished the right shin, as of 20 minutes ago. I'm not sure if I'm content with the size, length wise, but I'll determine that at a later date.

Had a few incidents that resulted in really tiny warpage... That doesn't make a happy Abby. -But it's no biggy. I also got a little sloppy with the glue. Ohhh welllll.
Not one of my best peps, but not one of my worst, either.

(Click pictures for larger view)
th_IMAG1502.jpg

th_IMAG1507.jpg

th_IMAG1505.jpg

th_IMAG1509.jpg

Not sure what I'll work on next... but considering I'm still sketchy on the size of this shin, I think I'll hold off on making the left one.
I think I'll go with starting on the thigh pieces, so stay tuned!

Stay frosty!

After using many different reference pics, I'm positive my shin is the correct size, so I'll go ahead and work on the left one!

--------------------
10/25/11 Update:
--------------------

Left shin done! Once I start the gluing process of a piece, I'm pretty devoted to it. I don't pep on the weekends, though. As much as I'd like to... I think it's better that I get a nice break and build up the urge for working on it again.
I wish I hadn't taken that 3 month break, but hey, I'm back and kickin' and only have a few pieces left to pep; the thighs, cod, and boots. I'm creasing the practice thigh now, so I should have it completed in a few days, depending on how much work I put into it. After that, I'll go ahead on the finals.
I already did a practice cod piece a few months ago -before my 3 month break, so after the thighs I'll just get that over with. The boots will be the last pep that I do, and I already did a practice of that, too, so this should be rather "fast."
As for the helmet, I've been working on it every now and then. It's not really a priority at the moment. I figured that once my other pieces catch up, I'll get back to work, but I just need to get the rest of the pepping done.
The weather is getting coooold... and I don't have a warm place to work safely with the resin and bondo without the fumes getting into the house, so I'm going to build a work shed outside before the snow hits. That will probably slow down the pep process, but that's okay. It'll be nice to have a dedicated space for my armor work.

Enough of the chit chat. The finished shins: (click picture to enlarge)
th_IMAG1518.jpg

--------
10/27/11 update. 1:39am.
--------

Just finished the GIGANTIC, flimsy practice thigh piece. (Click picture to enlarge)

th_1319697278.jpg

I like practicing with the original size of the pep, but it can get really annoying because of how big some pieces of are. I find it pretty funny, though. It's really easy for the large peps to warp because of the weight and flimsyness., obviously. But that's it for now.
Time to scale the thigh piece for real, yaaay.
I don't see a need to double post anything because pep work is no big deal.
Time for sleep c:

Staaay frosty!

Steady progress!
I pepped a thigh piece, but am not satisfied with the size, so I'm going to go ahead and try some different low res sizessss.
th_IMAG1597.jpg
th_IMAG1595.jpg
th_IMAG1594.jpg

I put a few coats of resin on the torso, biceps, forearms, hand plates, and shins this weekend. I'll start glassing those today.
I did take some photos of them all, but my Android isn't very nice to me, so I'll take some after I glass tonight.

To pep list:

Thighs (2)
Boots (2)
and Cod.

Stay frosty!

Your pepakura turned out very crisp. I'm still struggling to do that. I see people with these beautiful perfect lines showing, yet mine always looked a little sloppy. Maybe I'm using too much glue on each tab.

Your pepakura turned out very crisp. I'm still struggling to do that. I see people with these beautiful perfect lines showing, yet mine always looked a little sloppy. Maybe I'm using too much glue on each tab.

I'm sure you can do it!

Dang it looks great =D you got a lot of progress done
keep up the great work =D

Thanks, Road Kill!

----------------
Might as well fill in with an update.
----------------

I've been hard at work for the past few days!
-I've got a lot of resin and glassing done on the upper body pieces, but still have some work to go.
-I've bondoed the hand plates and the forearms are ready for some, too, so I'm working on those.
-As for the helmet, I've done a lot more sanding and gave it a coat of prime to work out the troubled areas, but I've still got a few hours of work left with the detailing.
-I pepped a low def codpiece and thigh today and came out successful for the scaling, so I'm working on the final thighs now. I should be working on the codpiece in no time.

I've got to find some boots before I pep the chief boots, so I'll save those for later. I better get crackin'!
(I've just realized I used the word "working" quite a lot up there)

I've put a lot of thought into molding/casting my suit. Depending on how everything turns out I might give it a go. I'd really like a second suit so I could also have my Halo 3 custom. I'd have to make the recon chest piece, but I believe that's attachable? We'll see, that's still pretty far away.

As for some pictures... I'll save those for later. It'll be a nice surprise. c;

Stay frosty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back