Tutorial: Install & Detail your visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKULA727

Ok, 405th. I had a few people interested in how I install my visors. Luckily I took a few photos this time around.

Items you will need:

-Visor

IMG_20110227_120653.jpg

-Screws - I picked mine up from Lowes and they are: 1/4th inch post, “Aluminum Threaded post w/ Screw”

IMG_20110227_122108.jpg

-2 Part Epoxy Putty (Used for securing posts to helmet)

IMG_20110227_121855.jpg

-Painters tape (Used for taping off visor)

-Solvent: Mineral Spirit or paint thinner or etc… (To clean the area you are attaching the posts to)

Tools needed:

-Wire cutter

-Xacto Knife with a fresh blade (Used for carving detail and cutting detail template out on visor)

-Screw Driver (Flat or Phillips depending on your screw head, Used to tighten down the screws which keep the visor in the helmet)

-Dremel/drill

-Sharpie (used to mark visor)

-Pen or pencil (used to draw detail on the tape after you tape off the visor)

Visor Install: ***Stop*** - Please see Pg. 8 Post #78 for similar alternate Visor mounting method brought to us by vshore100. His method shows the following; Use of different materials on creating and mounting the posts, Nice way to acurately trim up the visor. Overall nice take on the visor mounting process. (Thanks buddy!)

Step one – Post preparation. Take your posts and create 4 indents at the base using the wire cutter around the base. By doing this, you give the base of the post a little more grip for anchoring.

IMG_20110227_123443.jpg

Step two – Test fit the visor, to get a general idea on where you want it to sit in the helm. If your visor is missing the film that prevents scratches you can use plastic wrap to protect the visor. By doing the test fit, you can see what areas will need to be raised or lowered to install the posts in the helmet. I did not trim the visor at this point because the opening was large enough for me to drop the visor in and the length of the visor did not impede initial positioning. With that said you may have to trim the visor to get it to sit right. I had to do that with another build.

IMG_20110227_115227.jpg

Step three – Install the posts to the helmet as shown using epoxy putty (be sure to clean the area with your solvent)**See Page 5 for alternate method of mounting**. In this example, I had to raise the contact point at the bottom of the photo, so it would meet where I wanted it to connect with the visor, likewise, I had to lower the top & sides with my dremel (note – I cleaned the areas thoroughly with solvents so the epoxy putty would stick). After you install the posts where they need to be and everything looks appropriate wait for the epoxy putty to cure (Mighty putty says it cures fully within 24 hrs, please read the instructions provided with your product and mind the cure times noted). I let mine sit for 6 hrs before I felt comfortable in proceeding. Also, when working with the epoxy putty, you can wet the tips of your fingers to keep it from sticking to your fingers (be careful not to get to saucy and put water where you are trying to adhere the posts to). I originally got the Idea for using epoxy based putty or clay to install the posts from Ruze's thread entitled “Ruze's Rube Odst *pic Heavy*” in that thread he uses apoxie sculpt (similar to magic sculpt to adhere the posts).

IMG_20110227_131519.jpg

Step four – Install the visor. Place the visor in the helmet and line up were you want it to sit. You may have to apply pressure on the visor so that it lines up against the posts. You’re going to want to mark off the top & bottoms with a sharpie (! ONLY DO THIS FOR THE TOP & BOTTOM FIRST!) Now, drill those holes slightly larger than the posts. Also, in order to not scratch the visor, try and use water in between drilling your holes and trimming it. You can use the dremel with drill bit attachment or the power drill. It is important not to get crazy at this point and lose control of the dremel/drill, or you will end up with a scratched up mess.

IMG_20110227_140947.jpg

IMG_20110227_140954.jpg

IMG_20110227_141440.jpg

IMG_20110227_141612.jpg

Step four (cont) - Once the holes are drilled you are ready to mark off the sides with Sharpie. Put the visor back in the helmet. If you did the first part right and marked correctly, you should be able to push the visor flush up against the posts and tighten down the screws. Now, mark off the sides.

IMG_20110227_142034.jpg

IMG_20110227_142049.jpg

Step four (Cont) - Now take the visor back out and drill out the freshly marked off holes and trim the visor as necessary. You can install the visor at this point and stop here if you do not want the detail. If you choose to stop here, take the scratch protecting film or plastic wrap off the visor slowly as to not accidently rip the metallic finish off with it.

IMG_20110227_144901.jpg

I left the film on, because I wanted to etch in the visor detail.

Part 2 Visor Detailing

Visor Detailing ***STOP*** -> There is an alternate method within this tutorial on page 6 Provided to us by Sir Tsaboc. Thank you Kind Sir!!

If you decide to go further and do the etched in detail using the exacto knife, congrats for being brave. This part is similar to scratch board. With that said once you make a mark on the visor, then there is no fixing it. So, be very careful and don’t rush this part. Also, if you decided to do this step, you should still have the scratch resistant film on the visor. If you have the plastic wrap on instead, you can try to use tape directly on it or remove it and tape directly to the metallic finish. With that said, I have only ever taped directly to the visor or directly to the manufactures scratch resistant film.

Step one – install the visor in the helmet and tape everything off.

IMG_20110227_145726.jpg

Step two – draw your detail on the taped offed and installed visor. You want it installed in the helm, so you can use parts of the helmet to map out your detail (Basically, as points of reference). Try and measure your design out using a flexible measuring tool (I use the tape measure typically used to fit someone for a suit). You want the detail to be symmetrical on both sides of the visor (Left & Right).

IMG_20110227_150819.jpg

IMG_20110227_150827.jpg

Step three – once you have your design drawn, it is time to un-install the visor. Once the visor is taken back out of the helmet, you will want start cutting out your design using the exacto knife. I use something straight to help guide me.

IMG_20110227_151433.jpg

IMG_20110227_152716.jpg

Step four - After your design is cut out, use the exacto knife to scrape away the metallic finish uniformly. Be careful and get all the metallic finish off in the area because it will look better. Once you have the design etched in you are ready for the next step.

IMG_20110227_152805.jpg

Step five – slowly and carefully take the tape and scratch resistant film off of the visor. Wash one more time with water & install it in your helmet. You now should have a pimped out detailed visor.

IMG_20110227_155734.jpg

IMG_20110227_154956.jpg

Now closing up them gaps:

I used a two part epoxy clay called Magic Sculpt, which I highly recommend.

IMG_20110305_144701.jpg

Step One- Cover the visor in Plastic wrap and install it in the helmet.

IMG_20110305_144710.jpg

Step two – start filling in the gaps with the epoxy clay. Smooth the clay with your fingure by wetting the tips of your fingers. Cut off excess with a clay tool (Be careful not to puncture plastic film) and you should end up with a nice clean look. **Allow to cure over Night** Magic sculpt takes a good 8-10hrs to fully cure.

IMG_20110305_153605.jpg

Step three – take visor out slowly and unwrap the visor from the plastic wrap. Use either a needle file or popsicle stick with sand paper to clean up the opening being careful not to remove to much cured epoxy clay creating gaps. This should be a quick light sanding.

Step four – install and enjoy your new gap free visor.

IMG_20110305_234716.jpg

Well, I hope you all have found this three part tutorial to be informative and useful. I was trying to give something back since I have learned so much from everyone else. Also, feel free to add to this or let me know if I have missed anything. Keep building 405th!

**EXAMPLES**

Spitfire22V's Visor = Page 6

Awesome jon sir! I think this will really help people out. I was thinking of doing something similar when I get to making my helm and visor so seeing it done and so well not just helps but inspires me to get done.

Awesome jon sir! I think this will really help people out. I was thinking of doing something similar when I get to making my helm and visor so seeing it done and so well not just helps but inspires me to get done.

Thank you, I appreciate the comment. hopefully this helps some people out and maybe they can add to it and help improve the method. This was my second time doing it. My first time on the recon, i didn't take enough pictures. I was more or less just figuring it out as I went. Thanks again WrathPrime. Good luck on your projects.

this definatly needs to be stickied, this is a much more cost effective way to add those little details to your helmet. thanks for the tutorial. also where did you buy your visor, i like the silver tint.

@Everyone

Wow! I am happy this is appreciated by you guys. Hopefully it helps you all out. I really appreciate the comments. Feel free to ask me questions and I’ll try to help, or update the tutorial accordingly. Thanks again for viewing. Good luck on your builds!

@ Noble1

The visor I am using for the tutorial is an Arashi brand visor. I pick my visors up at a local motorcycle shop and they think I’m crazy everytime. They ask me what helmet I’m buying it for & I reply that this is for a project and I’m about to hack it up. Anyways, they typically cost me around 20 bucks. The first one I bought was a $40 or $50 Sorpion visor on clearance for $15 because it had a scratch on the side (But I trimmed that piece off). But, I may start getting them off of eBay. Hope that helps.

This is the best visor tutorial I have seen. To help seal the visor to the helmet has anyone considered a thin craft foam layer between visor and helm? Where did you get or what is a good source for the visor?

Thanks for the tut.

This is the best visor tutorial I have seen. To help seal the visor to the helmet has anyone considered a thin craft foam layer between visor and helm? Where did you get or what is a good source for the visor?

Thanks for the tut.

First, Thank you. I appreciate the good feedback. Second, your idea may be a good alternative. however, I think I may have found a way to do it (I'll update the tut if it works), I just have been busy lately (I'm an accountant & its month end for us bean counters). BTW, The visor is from a local motorcycle shop by my house. The Brand is Arashi (Cheaper Brand). I've seen cheaper online if you buy in bulk. Also, you may be able to get them cheap at a local motorcycle shop if they have any scratched ones. Thats how I got the Recon visor, it was scratched on the side and was originally a 60 or 70 dollar one.

Thanks for the tutorial; well explained, with good photos.

I have a quick question about the detail etching part. Do you think you could accomplish the same result using sandpaper or files instead of scraping with the knife?

Thanks for the tutorial; well explained, with good photos.

I have a quick question about the detail etching part. Do you think you could accomplish the same result using sandpaper or files instead of scraping with the knife?

Thats actually a really good Idea. I have some scrap visor pieces left over. I'm going to try it with the needle file tonight and report back. If anything, the file idea has to be an excellent way to tighten it up. Awesome suggestion.

Did taking the metallic layer off the visor when adding the "dual layer" look affect your vision at all? This is definitely the best way to install a visor, but I wanted to ask because the Mark VI has visor details that would impede your vision if the non-glossy detailed parts affected how you see out of the visor. <hope that makes sense, I proofread it and it sounded like a horribly botched run on sentence.
P.S. I started on my Recon helmet on the 2nd after seeing your updates, I just hope it turns out as well as yours has so far.

Did taking the metallic layer off the visor when adding the "dual layer" look affect your vision at all? This is definitely the best way to install a visor, but I wanted to ask because the Mark VI has visor details that would impede your vision if the non-glossy detailed parts affected how you see out of the visor. <hope that makes sense, I proofread it and it sounded like a horribly botched run on sentence.
P.S. I started on my Recon helmet on the 2nd after seeing your updates, I just hope it turns out as well as yours has so far.

Not at all, you really don't even notice. I'll try and take a picture from the inside of the Recon Helmet and post it. It May be a little while. The detail lines are pretty thin, so I don't think it will be an issue. I'm glad you enjoyed the Recon Build. i need to finish it all ready. I'm just all about the Carter helm right now. Good luck man & if you have questions, Please feel free to ask. Thanks again for checking my threads out!

P.S. Your Mark VI build is coming along nicely.

P.S. Your Mark VI build is coming along nicely.
Thanks man, I have pretty much halted on everything except the helmet currently. I'm not sure whether I should continue on my full suit, because I have a very busy life, and I figure as long as I get arguably the most important part done, it's still decent. I hope my Recon will turn out as epic as yours, but it seems like I'm not going to have enough leftover visor from my Mark VI to do the Recon too. But I digress, I'd love if you could get an inside picture of the visor, it would give me a better idea of what to expect from scratching the metallic part off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back